U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM

37 posts, read 48,166 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Denver on business over the summer - would like to extend my stay to see the local area.

Please suggest:

great places to stay (prefer interesting over corporate)

places to eat - with a Denver or Western flavor

things to see or do: I love hiking, hot springs, spas, arts, culture

Thanks, BFG
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,336,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootedone View Post
I am visiting Denver on business over the summer - would like to extend my stay to see the local area.. . .
things to see or do: I love hiking, hot springs, . . .
Thanks, BFG
Since you mention hot springs, check out this article that appeared in the Denver Post a few days ago:

Hot Springs: Chill out, soak it up in the hills
Quote:
For many Coloradans, no trip to the mountains is complete without a rejuvenating visit to one of the state's mineral hot springs. As natural attractions, these gurgling pools may rank second only to the Rocky Mountain peaks themselves.

Dozens of these sources of liquid refreshment are scattered along both sides of the Continental Divide, but only about 20 have been commercially developed — with permanently built pools, changing rooms, overnight accommodations and spa services.

Several such family-friendly recreation centers lie within an easy two- or three-hour drive of metro Denver. That means almost any weekend excursion — be it a rafting trip, a high-country hike or a day of mountain biking — can
Strawberry Park's pools range from 102 to 104 degrees. (Provided by Strawberry Park Hot Springs) be topped off with a hot-water soak.

Most pools are open year-round, with daily admission prices in the $10 to $20 range for adults and usually less for school-age kids. Most also have suits and towels for rent, and many offer massages for an added charge. . .

Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,331,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootedone View Post
I am visiting Denver on business over the summer - would like to extend my stay to see the local area.

Please suggest:

great places to stay (prefer interesting over corporate)

places to eat - with a Denver or Western flavor

things to see or do: I love hiking, hot springs, spas, arts, culture

Thanks, BFG
Where to stay: The Oxford Hotel and the Brown Palace Hotel are century-old luxury boutique type places. The Brown Palace has afternoon tea, and both have spas. There are a couple of b&b places (Cliff House, Horton House) in Morrison that have quite a bit of character.

Unique places to eat: Buckhorn Exchange has Colorado liquor license number "1" has steaks (beef and buffalo), wild game like quail, game hens, or rattlesnake. The Fort in Morrison is much the same. Try out one of Denver's many Mexican restaurants (Mexican food in Denver is very different from Tex Mex or California Mexican food -- it is most like New Mexico cuisine). Ask 20 people what their favorite place is, and you'll get 20 different answers. Personally, I like La Loma in Highlands, El Tejado in South Denver or Agaveros in Ken Caryl for sit down restaurants, but there are many hole in the wall places that have great Mexican food as well.

As for hiking, Denver has many mountain parks including Red Rocks. A Green Mountain hike has great views of Denver. The Denver Art Museum is awesome. There are hot springs in the mountains as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,872,228 times
Biker Jims is a hot dog place downtown that features things such as Snake and Reindeer.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,372,330 times
I have friends visiting for several days. This is plan:
2 days Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes - hiking and driving the Peak to Peak route
1 day walk Denver - Cap. Hill to Commons Park including any building we may want to see like the State Capitol or a museum. Evening - if we have time - Golden or Boulder.
1 day drive up to Leadville, Georgetown, dinner in Central City and gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver