U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,883,435 times

Advertisements

There is an ongoing Mexican/Black gang war/race war/cultural war of sorts in LA, could be a cultural thing stemming from that

And, personally, I see wayyyy more White/Black and Asian/Black than Latino/Black couples. Diversity(%s) has nothing to do with it. Either way, it's a cultural thing. Don't be so quick about throwing the race card when people are naturally wired to be more comfortable with people from the culture they know. Color is only a small part of that(see Blood In, Blood Out for a rather accurate depiction)
Rate this post positively

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,554,125 times
I agree with the culture thing. You see a fair number of black dominicans with hispanics in Chicago (mostly puerto rican but some mexican).

Not so much with african americans and mexicans.

I think puerto ricans may be more receptive to dating african american as many have african blood in them already. It is not so much a race as it is a cultural thing for them.

Many hispanics have a preference to date someone who speaks spanish. My mexican girlfriend is constantly pushing me to polish my spanish so I can have more substantial conversations with her family, who mostly speak spanish.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM

339 posts, read 1,234,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Don't be so quick about throwing the race card when people are naturally wired to be more comfortable with people from the culture they know. Color is only a small part of that(see Blood In, Blood Out for a rather accurate depiction)
I don't buy that bullcrap. Naturally wired to feel comfortable with a culture they know? And with nobody else? You can **** me but you can't date me? A Hispanic person from Colorado can "feel comfortable" dating a White person but not a Black person? (who's culture is NOT similar to Mexican)?

It's just an excuse for closed mindeness and bad upbringing. And a jive time one at that. People aren't instinctively the way they are. It's taught to them. Or rather not taught to them.

It's just ignorance. And I'm done with it. I'm sick of this place. I'm over it! 6 months, 6 MONTHS and I still haven't met even the sorriest excuse for a date. They look at my color and dismiss me right away. Actually, it's not even my color because I'm the same complexion as most of them anyhow. But it's because of what they 'think' my color is. And Black is not it. That's predjudice...And that's Denver. It always takes a little while to live in a place before you see it's true colors and I think I've seen what I needed to see.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,883,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I don't buy that bullcrap. Naturally wired to feel comfortable with a culture they know? And with nobody else? You can **** me but you can't date me? A Hispanic person from Colorado can "feel comfortable" dating a White person but not a Black person? (who's culture is NOT similar to Mexican)?

It's just an excuse for closed mindeness and bad upbringing. And a jive time one at that. People aren't instinctively the way they are. It's taught to them. Or rather not taught to them.

It's just ignorance. And I'm done with it. I'm sick of this place. I'm over it! 6 months, 6 MONTHS and I still haven't met even the sorriest excuse for a date. They look at my color and dismiss me right away. Actually, it's not even my color because I'm the same complexion as most of them anyhow. But it's because of what they 'think' my color is. And Black is not it. That's predjudice...And that's Denver. It always takes a little while to live in a place before you see it's true colors and I think I've seen what I needed to see.
The real world isn't all peace, love, and happiness, unfortunately.

Hell, Haitians and Dominicans are the same color, live on the same island, have the same ancestry until the last few hundred years, and completely dislike(or hate) each other, let alone inter-date between cultures, but Dominicans consider themselves Hispanic and they have no problem dating other Hispanics. Dominicans shun their racial ancestry in favor of their newer cultural ancestry.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:15 AM

339 posts, read 1,234,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
The real world isn't all peace, love, and happiness, unfortunately.

Hell, Haitians and Dominicans are the same color, live on the same island, have the same ancestry until the last few hundred years, and completely dislike(or hate) each other, let alone inter-date between cultures, but Dominicans consider themselves Hispanic and they have no problem dating other Hispanics. Dominicans shun their racial ancestry in favor of their newer cultural ancestry.
Oh gosh, I lived in South Florida don't even get me started on Dominicans. They can be even dumber about "Black" non-Hispanic people than Mexicans are.

I'm trying to keep hope alive in trying to find someone I can click with on an attraction level out here. But it's hard to hold faith when you keep running into the same old BULL **** every time you meet someone around here.

That's why awhile back I was referring to Colorado as being similar to Texas. Because when I first moved to Texas I sensed the same thing as well. Over time I had gotten somewhat acclimated to it, but now it's coming back to me all over again that the similarities are there.

I know most people in Colo don't care for Texas, but the visible manifestation of ignorance that's present is the same in both states. You still have people saying ridiculous, candid **** about race that you just wouldn't hear all that much from say, a person from Sweden. Or Spain. or Puerto Rico. It's like damn, do you really believe that? Why make the whole city of Denver look bad because of your blatant ignorance? Because that's what I think. When people start acting foolish I assume the whole city is foolish.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

239 posts, read 569,053 times
Quote:

Sorry, but that attitude really grates my nerves. Having a preference does not equal close mindedness.

I just means...they have a preference. Many people ARE more comfortable dating within a familiar culture, and if that makes them happy, then so be it.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,327,309 times
Maybe you should move, it seems like Denver is really not a fit for you. I see you've lived in Florida - where else have you been? If Denver is that unbearable, then yes, you should go - because the rest of us like it here and many of us work to keep Denver a friendly, safe, (and happy!) place to live.

One other thought, have you noticed the overall negative tone of most of your posts (here and over on the ticket/boot thread)? Do you ever think (even for just a second, in the back of your mind) that perhaps it's YOU that is the problem? Just sayin'.

P.S. - I'm half black and half white, light skinned (I call myself brown). I'm married now but I do remember back in the day, when I attracted all types of men!

Quote:
I'm sick of this place. I'm over it! 6 months, 6 MONTHS and I still haven't met even the sorriest excuse for a date. They look at my color and dismiss me right away. Actually, it's not even my color because I'm the same complexion as most of them anyhow. But it's because of what they 'think' my color is. And Black is not it. That's predjudice...And that's Denver. It always takes a little while to live in a place before you see it's true colors and I think I've seen what I needed to see.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Lisa, I respectfully disagree. Half of me has the right to speak up on this topic (the other half is white) - LOL.

But seriously, I was born and raised in Colorado. In a small town, which was VERY hard socially altogether. But when I came to Denver, my life bloomed. I think the difficulty in dating often lies within the person trying to date. It's really as difficult as you make it.

One other thing I noticed, is that when blacks (or other people for that matter) move here from another state/city, they struggle sometimes. I believe it is because they are hardset in their attitudes and ideas, and are not willing to think outside the box or open their mind to a new way of living.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
many blacks do leave here. we stayed, but we knew what we were getting into, and we're married . my daughter is 6 and we're banking on things being different in the next decade due to demographic changes. I would not move here as a single black person. it's just too difficult to date.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
You have competition from the other Hispanic women who share their culture. They probably know very little about African Americans and have little to no contact with any other race then White or Hispanic if they live outside of Denver.
This is a very good point. As a native, I can testify as to the deep-rooted, long standing families of Hispanic culture here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
I would not take it personally, and I am sure you are not ugly, you are just unique here
I agree!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,863,009 times
The OP seems to be making very negative statements about the Latinos in Denver having a preference that does not include HER race.. (even though she went out with one that told her Twice what they were after). Takes two as far as I know.
In the OP's post, the OP said that they "would not SETTLE on marrying a White or Black just because that's the ONLY thing out there"!!
The OP just stated their preference, VERY loudly I might add, ..the very thing they say they are angry about with Denvers Latinos!!!!!
If I were to listen to this OP's prejudice comments about who Latinos should like or NOT like (as a potential date)....I'd turn and run too and I'm sure,....I wouldn't be expecting too many future dates OR friends!! Just saying!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver