U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 2,524,387 times
Reputation: 533

Advertisements

You seem like a handful. I wouldn't want to date you....
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Denver
339 posts, read 1,235,703 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
You seem like a handful. I wouldn't want to date you....
The way you feel about me does not just the way things are here. So your comment is neutral to me. It holds no value to the topic at hand.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,786 posts, read 28,183,869 times
Reputation: 14198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Don't say you never got the opportunity to, you never took the initiative to do so. Like for me, if I want to date a guy of (insert race) I'm going to take the initiative and find whatever opportunity is available even if it means moving to another state.

You say you never dated a Black woman but then you say you were open to dating anyone based on mutual wavelength or attraction. And then you married a White girl.

This really didn't help me feel any better. It's still a clear cut example of favoritism. People do it unconsciously and don't even know they are doing it.
lol

I suppose that's the difference right there. I didn't target my dates based on race.

I married my wife because she's my best friend and I love her.

In dating situations, people are passed up for multitudes of reasons. I've been told I'm too tall (countless times (6'7")), too Mexican, not Mexican enough, and have been just flat out rejected. There was nothing I could do about any of those things, so I just got over it. And things worked out.

IMO, one can't socially engineer their life. I can't wake up tomorrow and decide I want to make a friend containing (insert) demographic quality. It doesn't work that way.

I don't like the social situation in Denver either, particularly on how different types of people tend to interact (or not) with each other. To me, it feels like everybody "knows their place". There isn't enough conformity-breaking for me -- that's one of the many reasons I'm bouncing out of here eventually.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 9,332,407 times
Reputation: 844
You are right, you don't have to live somewhere that makes you that unhappy. But from your post on the other thread we are chatting on, it seems Florida wasn't a picnic for you either.

Many of your posts I find insulting and ignorant, such as this statement: "But in America, and in Mexico (which is basically what half of the U.S. is, it's Mexico) people have been trained to be stupid. Europeans are not like that, only in America."

Have you even been to Mexico or Europe? I've never been to Europe, but I've been all over Mexico, Central and South America. Trust me, your attitude will not go over well in those areas. In fact, they could care less about your race, but more about you being an American. And you just scream American.

Working on yourself and your attitude takes a little longer than just a week. I wouldn't expect others to clamber over themselves to talk to you in your one week assessment. Working on yourself includes a change in thought process, and it takes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Well I don't mean to come off that way and I'm not really that way in person...only because I have trained myself not to act out how I feel. But I do mention it and I do bring it up. And when I do, people tend to be more upfront about it than you'd think. Some people will outright say it, "I don't like Black people." or "I don't really find (insert race) attractive. People will tell you how they feel, and I measure it as a barometer of just how stupid they actually are. But in America, and in Mexico (which is basically what half of the U.S. is, it's Mexico) people have been trained to be stupid. Europeans are not like that, only in America.

I have dug deeper into myself plenty of times and part of it is writing up something like this, and then going out into the real world and then coming back to see if what I'm feeling is real or just me?

Trust me I question myself plenty of times and sometimes I do wonder if maybe it's just me. And you know, sometimes I may not be doing everything that I should to reach out to people and that I am working on.

I've actually initiated conversation with several guys this past week. But the amount of acknowledgement I'm picking up still seems sub-par. I'm stilling feeling a level of automatic dismal from some people here because they think just because all they've ever grown up around is pale faces and *******s. And they feel that there is nothing in common with a ****** so they don't even put in the effort to get to know someone who happens to be one.

I don't have to deal with this ****. I don't have to deal with being 3rd place, I don't have to deal with limited options and I don't need to be dismissed because of who I happen to be. I can get the **** out here I don't have to be like this. I was happier back home in Florida and although I will not move back there, I do know it was easier to mingle among the 3 race groups than it ever is here.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 9,332,407 times
Reputation: 844
Actually, it's the exact point I was trying to make to you. Your attitude shows in your posts and I can only imagine the vibe you are giving off in person. The fact that someone here who hasn't even met you in person should mean something to you -- your attitude blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
The way you feel about me does not just the way things are here. So your comment is neutral to me. It holds no value to the topic at hand.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 9,332,407 times
Reputation: 844
That's funny. When on this forum every other post is about people wanting to move here, just moved here, are going to move here. The ones who moved here claim to love it. So I don't think it only works for persons just used to Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
colorado works for people who are used to colorado.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Denver
339 posts, read 1,235,703 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
That's funny. When on this forum every other post is about people wanting to move here, just moved here, are going to move here. The ones who moved here claim to love it. So I don't think it only works for persons just used to Colorado.
OK, where did these people move from? What are their races/ethnicity/Background? What is their idea of a fun activity? Skiing, mountain stuff?

You're using broad, vague examples to give your point some leverage but it's all subjective. Why did they move here and why do they like it? I like it here too, honestly I do. It's probably one of the better places I've lived in my life. But the fact that I have to live here as a single Black person from another state changes my experience here. Maybe if I were married or had a steady BF and moved here my attitude would be different. But it's not. I have to deal with all these people's bullcrap and when you deal and hear as much **** as I have heard over the months I've been here you can understand why I'm starting to fly off the handle.

Give me an example of 5 people who say they moved here and love and then think about all the questions I asked above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Actually, it's the exact point I was trying to make to you. Your attitude shows in your posts and I can only imagine the vibe you are giving off in person. The fact that someone here who hasn't even met you in person should mean something to you -- your attitude blows.
This is a ***** thread. I'm merely bitching. That does not make up my personality or attitude, it's only for the period of time for the topic at hand. And sometimes when discussing un-touched topics it's normal for people to perceive someone as rude. But that is not a summary of my personality.

Maybe if you got to know me instead of being 'prejudice' then you wouldn't feel the same.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 9,332,407 times
Reputation: 844
Where did they move from? Well, we have several from the northeast, some from the south, one from Wyoming, lots from Calif. and surrounding. Their idea of fun ranges from art galleries, theater, traveling (my personal fav, and not traveling to Utah, but Costa Rica), skiing, surfing, fishing, cycling.

The persons I'm describing moved here because they did not like where they lived due to a variety of reasons, weather, cost of living, crime, job offers and opportunities, or just a change of pace.

I met singles, young and old, marrieds, divorceds, people with kids, people without.

So here are my five, without names of course, because the people I'm using as examples I met on here, either in person or just here:

1. Moved here from Wyoming. Wanted a bigger city, better weather, better jobs. She loves outdoor stuff, and city stuff, like theater, art, etc. She is a single mom, with a teen kid.

2. Moved here from northeast. Young couple, wanted a better cost of living, better weather, safe place to raise a kid (eventually). They are city slickers from NYC and bought a home in Highlands, very happy here.

3. Moved here from northeast. Gay black man, has partner, adopted boys. Lives very close to downtown Denver. Wanted a safe place to raise kid, a comfortable place to live without judgment.

4. Moved here from S. Calif. Wanted better cost of living, good weather. Single guy, around my age. Loves it here.

5. Moved here from central Calif. Younger than me but not much. Wanted better cost of living, smaller city, better weather, job opportunities. Single guy, met girlfriend after moving here, about to finish grad school and loves it here.

There are countless others but you only asked for 5. I still talk to many here and would love to meet up with them again soon. In person. And not on a mountain top. LOL.

Perhaps if I got to know you I would like you. I think I've handled your posts in a respectful manner, as I would appreciate the same in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
OK, where did these people move from? What are their races/ethnicity/Background? What is their idea of a fun activity? Skiing, mountain stuff?

You're using broad, vague examples to give your point some leverage but it's all subjective. Why did they move here and why do they like it? I like it here too, honestly I do. It's probably one of the better places I've lived in my life. But the fact that I have to live here as a single Black person from another state changes my experience here. Maybe if I were married or had a steady BF and moved here my attitude would be different. But it's not. I have to deal with all these people's bullcrap and when you deal and hear as much **** as I have heard over the months I've been here you can understand why I'm starting to fly off the handle.

Give me an example of 5 people who say they moved here and love and then think about all the questions I asked above.



This is a ***** thread. I'm merely bitching. That does not make up my personality or attitude, it's only for the period of time for the topic at hand. And sometimes when discussing un-touched topics it's normal for people to perceive someone as rude. But that is not a summary of my personality.

Maybe if you got to know me instead of being 'prejudice' then you wouldn't feel the same.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,731,307 times
Reputation: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
OK, where did these people move from? What are their races/ethnicity/Background? What is their idea of a fun activity? Skiing, mountain stuff?

You're using broad, vague examples to give your point some leverage but it's all subjective. Why did they move here and why do they like it? I like it here too, honestly I do. It's probably one of the better places I've lived in my life. But the fact that I have to live here as a single Black person from another state changes my experience here. Maybe if I were married or had a steady BF and moved here my attitude would be different. But it's not. I have to deal with all these people's bullcrap and when you deal and hear as much **** as I have heard over the months I've been here you can understand why I'm starting to fly off the handle.

Give me an example of 5 people who say they moved here and love and then think about all the questions I asked above.



This is a ***** thread. I'm merely bitching. .

.

Listen if you don't like it here, move! There are Super Walmarts in every state, they always have openings.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,963 posts, read 17,644,381 times
Reputation: 6181
I'll say this as a White/Mexican mix: Mexicans are definitely more closely aligned to white people and culture. Mexicans are probably more redneck than the whitest redneck. Puerto Ricans/Dominicans and to some degree Cubans are more closely aligned to Black people and culture.

Now with that, I have dated black women happily, but I'll admit they were West Coast (CA/AZ) bred which is very different from an East coast imo.

FL or NY would be my recommendations for a black person wanting to find a latin person.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top