Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM

22 posts, read 61,488 times

Advertisements

I'm researching Stapleton a bit and it looks great-- except that it is right next door to Commerce City. It isn't my dream to live next door to oil refineries; I don't want anybody in my family to suck up carcinogens all day if we can avoid it. Stapleton residents-- does this concern you? Plus Stapleton is right next to the airport and that's a lot of pollution for you too... It looks like such a great community; it's sad that it is stuck between two major pollution centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Stapleton is a nice development-- but it's surrounded by some of the ugliest parts of Denver (both residential and industrial).

Stapleton is about 17 miles from DIA-- closer than some parts of Denver, but it's not right next to the airport.

I don't think Stapleton has any oil refinery smells, but I'll let somebody who lives there confirm that.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopiepie View Post
I'm researching Stapleton a bit and it looks great-- except that it is right next door to Commerce City. It isn't my dream to live next door to oil refineries; I don't want anybody in my family to suck up carcinogens all day if we can avoid it. Stapleton residents-- does this concern you? Plus Stapleton is right next to the airport and that's a lot of pollution for you too... It looks like such a great community; it's sad that it is stuck between two major pollution centers.
I think of it as two major industrial centers that are necessary for the needs of the population. Industry and air traffic causes pollution. So, buy less, use less, drive less and fly less. or better yet give up your car and stop flying to wasteful vacation locations. You cannot have it all; but we want it all and we will pay the costs in pollution. We are all the cause the pollution because of our insatiable demands.

I do agree that mitigations are necessary to be mandated to reduce these problems, but the best reduction is done by reducing our needs, wants and desires; and live simply. However, a thriving area liike Denver needs heavy industry and oil refineries. I do understand that you have your own choice to live wherever you want; but many people live happily in Stapleton and Commerce City.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-08-2011 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 AM

61 posts, read 111,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopiepie View Post

I live in Stapleton and i have never noticed any pollution in the air at all.The airport is no right next door either.It's about a 30 minute drive away.
Alot of families with kids live her and dogs(like us).There is no other place in Denver that i would like to live then here in Stapleton.So much to do and great places to eat.All within walking distance.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I live in Stapleton and it's not right next to an airport or oil refinery. Did you see the ATC tower and think an airport is still here? That's the old tower from Stapleton International Airport! They're keeping it as a "souvenir". I used to drive by the oil refinery on my way to work and it's at least 5 miles from Stapleton. It has no effect on us. Stapleton is not in some unusual pollution area.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM

I think we need to make something very clear to new people. Stapleton Airport was created many years ago and it was miles and miles away from a populated area. Over time, residential areas got closer and the airport needed to expand, so it relocated much farther away in land that was originally Adams County. The refineries and heavy industry in the Northeas area where also developed very far from the Main City but again, the area grew bigger and expanded out.

Stapleton Redevelopment is not only about Residential housing. It is also about offices, stores, warehousing and light industry. You will see the commercial industry zone more to the east. In addition, many areas of natural open land already existed on Stapleton and much more were expanded to create buffers between different areas of zoning. So, it a very well planned community.

The City of Denver is not stupid as inferred by the OP. There are many historical reasons for growth and the area. The City has achieved national recognition in how it has used and redeveloped the old airport property.

Livecontent

Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 PM

36 posts, read 55,894 times
Livecontent brother, you nailed it, particularly the part about driving less.

If you consider that the winds seem to always blow out of the east -- oh damn you winds for making my bike commute that much harder coming home -- I'd figure those directly west of the refinery would be more affected than those well east and south as is Stapleton.

I am sure we all get hit by the output of that place though, the fact that on occasion just about anywhere in Denver you will smell the Purina dog chow plant seems to confirm this. That smell makes me hungry, is that wrong?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinmikein View Post
Livecontent brother, you nailed it, particularly the part about driving less.

If you consider that the winds seem to always blow out of the east -- oh damn you winds for making my bike commute that much harder coming home -- I'd figure those directly west of the refinery would be more affected than those well east and south as is Stapleton.

I am sure we all get hit by the output of that place though, the fact that on occasion just about anywhere in Denver you will smell the Purina dog chow plant seems to confirm this. That smell makes me hungry, is that wrong?
Ha, Ha, you made me forgot about the Purina Dog Chow Plant. I remember when I came here, there was much more animal slaughtering done near the Stock Show area and live sheep were processed on North Washington. There was a smell but some would consider it a good smell of western industry. I like the smell of fresh manure--it is stimulating. But I do not get hungry from the smell of the dog food processing, like you

Yes, the industrial areas were located to the east because the wind blows, most times, to the eastern plains. Also, to move the dangers of violatile chemicals away from dense populations. I do not think the discharges are that bad, today and compared to yesterday, with all the federal regulations.

The new airport is so far out and surrounded by open space to avoid any conflicts with homes in the future. There is talk of moving the commercial rail to integrate rail/highway/air traffic east of the city, and this will free up more land in the Platte River Valley and minimize the congestion in the inner core.

Overall, I think Denver is well zoned for commerce and residential. Some of the older industrial facilities along the Platte River have closed and the properties remediated and will not become new developments of residential/offices/retail. A big one that is being redeveloped is the Old Gates Rubber Plant.

However, we cannot just have residential and white collar industries as we need heavy industry in this country.

Livecontent

Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 52,474 times
I wouldn't worry about the pollution in Stapleton as much as the traffic. It isn't the volume of the traffic, but the outright disrespect for traffic laws. Be careful where you buy a house. There are many streets that are used as an expressway from a tough part of town and the Wal-Mart and Sams.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 PM

18 posts, read 52,474 times
If you are worried about pollution in Stapleton, I would be most concerned about the jet fuel in the soil from the closed airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver