Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjpb7 View Post
Our family was perviously thinking about moving to Colorado Springs from Anchorage Alaska but, now looks like we may move to Denver are for my husband's job. Does anyone know anything about Auora, Parker, Castle Rock?? I think it is called the Douglas County?
Can you tell me if the mountains and environment is similar to Alaska? I don't think I can live without my mountains.

I have heard that Colorado is a very conservative state? I have heard that it's a great place to raise a family. I am just very nervous because Alaska has been my home forever a little over 30 years!

Is Colorado similar with mountains, snow etc??

Has anyone lived both places? I am so nervous that it will be a huge culture shock for us!

Thanks for any replies!
Not a Coloradoan, but I've heard that Douglas County is second only to Colorado Springs in terms of conservatism in Colorado (for suburban/city areas). In a year where Obama won Colorado, McCain got nearly 60% in Douglas County.

It shouldn't be a culture shock politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
As others have said, snakes are not really a huge concern, but they do exist here and people get bitten every year - not because the snakes are aggressive, but because people have a tendency to be curious and get too close. I have open space everywhere near me and have only seen one snake in 6 years - it was a baby rattlesnake and he was just slithering across the road into the open space behind the homes across the street. It didn't bother anyone, but I did warn my neighbors to be vigilant. Fortunately, while bites can be very painful and leave some scarring (from dead tissue around the bite site), they are very rarely fatal, especially for active adults. Obviously, the elderly and very young are most susceptible to more serious symptoms. Always call 911 right away if you get bitten - medical facilities throughout the Denver Area are equipped to handle these situations and will be able to treat the bite quickly and effectively.

Regarding spraying for bugs - I know a few of my neighbors do it, but we don't. We aren't neat freaks, but we take good care of our property and have zero issues with bugs. We also get a lot of toads during wet springs - some years we have thousands - this year I've only seen a few. They help mitigate the insect problem and they're kind of neat to have around. I rarely see them until I go to mow the lawn and they hop quickly to get out of the way!

All in all, please don't let the creepy-crawly factor spook you into not coming to Denver at all. You're likely to see bugs often, but nothing that would carry your children off when you're not looking (unlike the southern and eastern states - YUCK!).

Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Not a Coloradoan, but I've heard that Douglas County is second only to Colorado Springs in terms of conservatism in Colorado (for suburban/city areas). In a year where Obama won Colorado, McCain got nearly 60% in Douglas County.

It shouldn't be a culture shock politically.
Yeah, here in Douglas County, we're kind of like Colorado's version of the OC - a more-fiscally-than-socially conservative area near the big city. I think a conservative Alaskan (probably libertarian-ish, there seem to be quite a few here) would like the political climate here.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjpb7 View Post
Awesome! Thank you all so much! You have been so helpful and put my nerves at ease! : )

The only thing that will take some getting used to as well is we have sunshine 24 hours a day right now!!!! I love that! Some people do not but, I personally love it.... it's great after a long dark winter!!!!!

Also the thought of snakes is a little creepy...I know this seems very ignorant to you but, it's a serious question to me... As we speak my kids are running around bare foot in our back yard through the sprinkler... Can you do that there...? Or do you have to watch for snakes on your lawns as well?

here you can run through the woods and hike up trails all over never, ever needing to be concerned about snakes.... I know you said they are usually in the mountains but, when you're from here you picture them everywhere there! lol,lol like sometimes in your houses? or on lawns?? Is this a concern there?

Also my last question.... We don't have to get our homes sprayed for anything here...we do not have **** roaches or other house pets besides shrews but that's in the Valley mostly.... Does everyone get their houses sprayed there and if so what kind of creep crawlies get in your house??!!!!

I am very clean but, will leave bread and sometimes dishes on counter cleared off but, not clean to load in morning...SOmeone told me you cannot do that down in the lower 48 because you will get roaches?? True?? Not true??

Thanks again for taking time to answer my questions!!!!
I've been to Anchorage in January and July and seriously, I don't know how anyone could live there. It's a beautiful place, but the dark in Winter was unbearable for me, and the sun in Summer, while interesting, would probably annoy me! We do have snakes.. I've never seen one, but I believe garter snakes are most common and harmless. I'd worry about rattle snakes, but I don't go off the pavement or into wilderness.

If you've lived your entire life up there, it probably will be culture shock. But then I've lived in different states/countries and think it's good to experience someplace different.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Yeah, here in Douglas County, we're kind of like Colorado's version of the OC - a more-fiscally-than-socially conservative area near the big city. I think a conservative Alaskan (probably libertarian-ish, there seem to be quite a few here) would like the political climate here.
Well, you do have a lot of OC transplants there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver