U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Duvall, WA
1,677 posts, read 6,528,288 times
Reputation: 640

Advertisements

Greetings!

My husband and I are trying to find our place in the world. I am a CA native, and he grew up outside of Chicago. I've lived all over the US, but now that we have 3 children (3.5, 2.5, and 2 months), we're looking for some place to lay down roots and settle in for the long haul. The only thing we're 100% sure of, is that we're not staying in CA. We lived just outside of Seattle from 2007-2010. We moved back to CA last year to be closer to my family (huge mistake), and we're trying to decide where to go from here. We really liked the Seattle area, but it would be nice to live some place where the cost of living was a bit less.

I work from home, so I can live anywhere.

My husband currently works for Amazon (since 2007), but wouldn't mind something new.

So, here are my questions:
  • What is the tech job market like in Denver?
  • Are there any outer-lying suburbs/cities that are public transportation commutable into Denver?
  • What are the suburbs that could be commuted from/to in 30-45 minutes? And which of these have the best schools?
  • Does Colorado have income tax?
  • What are electricity prices like? We currently have a 1400 square foot apartment that costs us $250-350/month to cool in the summer (it was a bit cheaper and opposite in Seattle).

Thanks for any and all info!

V. =)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 PM
 
697 posts, read 1,931,547 times
Reputation: 484
1. I can only speak to the Denver job market for software engineers which is good believe it or not. A recruiter recently told me unemployment for software engineers in Denver was 3-5% (don't know however if that is accurate). Skill sets in high demand include Java, and .net.

2. You can reach downtown Denver via public transit from pretty much every outlying suburb using park n ride express busses or light rail.

3. Most of Denver's suburbs are 30-45 minute commute into downtown whether they are north, south, east, or west. Our school districts here are very large and the schools within as well as between districts can vary widely--there are good schools in every district. I would search by first finding employment and then looking by close neighborhoods and checking individual schools. Tech employment may not necessarily be in Denver, there are lots of tech jobs in Boulder as well.

4. Yes, we have a state income tax rate of 4.65%

5. Electricity: To cool my 2000 sq foot house in the hottest month (usually July) bill can be $230-275 (thermostat at 72). My electric plus gas ranges from a low of $100 (May) to a high of $300 (July and Jan). I'd say an average of $220 a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Duvall, WA
1,677 posts, read 6,528,288 times
Reputation: 640
Thank you so much for the info. It's nice that public transportation sounds abundant. That's one thing we miss about the Seattle area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 10,151,063 times
Reputation: 7781
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
We lived just outside of Seattle from 2007-2010. We moved back to CA last year to be closer to my family (huge mistake), and we're trying to decide where to go from here.
Yes, I think thats the probably the case for a lot of people in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
We really liked the Seattle area, but it would be nice to live some place where the cost of living was a bit less.
I wonder if the difference in the cost of living would be enough for you to justify you moving to Denver, which apparently are not sure about vs Seattle which you already know you like.

I'd be particularly concerned about the cost of transportation (Denver has just about the most expensive public transportation systems in the country), and the cost of housing (I think you will end paying considerably more for housing in Denver).

However, if the cost of living is the most important thing to you, you will probably do better living in Denver. This may help you decide.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 05:29 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Duvall, WA
1,677 posts, read 6,528,288 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
However, if the cost of living is the most important thing to you, you will probably do better living in Denver. This may help you decide.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Wow, thanks for that link. That website is fantastic!

V. =)

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 05:29 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Southwest region
2 posts, read 2,640 times
Reputation: 10
Hi,
What part of Seattle did you live in? My husband and I are thinking about moving there.
He was stationed there for 3 years and LOVED IT.
Many people have tried to talk me out of it, but I think WA would be good for me. I know about the gloomy rainy days and I'm fine with that.
I currently reside in the Southwest and the weather is terrible. We only have 1 season (HEAT).
It FLOODS and it is flat. There are so many bayou's in the city. NO ONE is health conscience, if they are, they are trying to be cute. They've removed the amusement park. The beach looks like an oilfield. The humidity is horrendous.
Can you tell me the pros & cons of living in Seattle (WA)?

Colorado is nice. My uncle lives in Aurora, been there since 1986. I love the weather and hiking is fun. The air is clean. I think it would be a wonderful place to raise kids. I'm not sure about the economy. I just spoke to my uncle the other day and he said it snowed all the month of May.
The roads are clean. The people can be snobbish but anyone with a good attitude can overlook.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Southwest region
2 posts, read 2,640 times
Reputation: 10
Oh forgot, I'm a native Californian also............go RAiders!!!!!!!! & 49ers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
3,301 posts, read 6,744,899 times
Reputation: 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjqfcj View Post
Colorado is nice. My uncle lives in Aurora, been there since 1986. I love the weather and hiking is fun. The air is clean. I think it would be a wonderful place to raise kids. I'm not sure about the economy. I just spoke to my uncle the other day and he said it snowed all the month of May.
The roads are clean. The people can be snobbish but anyone with a good attitude can overlook.
Wow, I must have missed it! Are you sure you're talking about Aurora, CO?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 9,262,463 times
Reputation: 843
We do?? Not arguing, actually interested in this. What is the transportation cost like in Seattle and elsewhere?

Also, I thought the cost of housing here is comparable to housing in Seattle - not so?

OP: My husband is a tech, does desktop and network stuff. He says the work is here, it's out there, but you have to look hard. Also, there are some big corps here doing some really shabby things to the tech groups - outsourcing, laying off so that a few guys work for a few thousand - not fun. But it is here.

Was it that moving to Calif. was a mistake or moving close to your family?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'd be particularly concerned about the cost of transportation (Denver has just about the most expensive public transportation systems in the country), and the cost of housing (I think you will end paying considerably more for housing in Denver).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,163 posts, read 25,598,617 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Greetings!

My husband and I are trying to find our place in the world. I am a CA native, and he grew up outside of Chicago. I've lived all over the US, but now that we have 3 children (3.5, 2.5, and 2 months), we're looking for some place to lay down roots and settle in for the long haul. The only thing we're 100% sure of, is that we're not staying in CA. We lived just outside of Seattle from 2007-2010. We moved back to CA last year to be closer to my family (huge mistake), and we're trying to decide where to go from here. We really liked the Seattle area, but it would be nice to live some place where the cost of living was a bit less.

I work from home, so I can live anywhere.

My husband currently works for Amazon (since 2007), but wouldn't mind something new.

So, here are my questions:
  • What is the tech job market like in Denver?
  • Are there any outer-lying suburbs/cities that are public transportation commutable into Denver?
  • What are the suburbs that could be commuted from/to in 30-45 minutes? And which of these have the best schools?
  • Does Colorado have income tax?
  • What are electricity prices like? We currently have a 1400 square foot apartment that costs us $250-350/month to cool in the summer (it was a bit cheaper and opposite in Seattle).

Thanks for any and all info!

V. =)
That's expensive for A/C. Here in Denver, my highest bill (which also includes natural gas) in July, with A/C running day and night for a 2100 sq. ft. house w/finished basement (another 900 sq. ft.) is about $240.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top