Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 PM

38 posts, read 101,111 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to either Bellevue and suburbs areas or the Denver suburbs areas. We were just curious as to what you thought?

Both have interesting places and access to interesting physical features; and both have interesting neighborhoods. We like the Littleton and SW/SE areas of Denver, as well as the foothills in the west and even Parker (although it's too far out from downtown). Those places have access to the airport, mountains, and are nice neighborhoods.

In WA, we like Issaquah, Kirkland, Eastern Bellevue, and Juanita areas - they seem to be nice too, but maybe quite a bit more expensive than the Denver suburbs (we are on a budget of 350 to 400k for a home). The weather in Denver seems sunnier, but there's snow and some freezing in the winter; but rain and clouds in Bellevue. The green in Bellevue is really nice, and of course the lakes are neat. There's no state income tax in WA either.
Both have theatre, pro sports and nice people. Both seem to have traffic issues though. I've heard that both places are neat.

Would really love to hear your thoughts just off the top of your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM

31 posts, read 114,410 times
I think before you look for neighborhoods, you should choose which of these two areas you would be happier in - they are SO different.

Cost of Living in Bellevue & the East Side areas you mentioned is WAY higher than in the Denver area. Can you afford to maintain your desired lifestyle?

The weather is totally different. Some people can't handle the altitude of Denver or the snow. Some people can't tolerate the number of gray days or rainy days of the Pacific Northwest.

If you have health considerations - research both areas as they are both extreme. I have asthma and severe mold allergies and thus am choosing not to return to the northwest at this time. Seattlites joke that they don't age, they just go moldy. Denver is supposed to be better for folks with these issues.

The traffic in the greater Seattle area, and that includes Bellevue and all the communities you mentioned, is much heavier than Denver (though, Seattlites do tend to be a *little* friendlier than most other big traffic cities, so it's not bad like DC or SoCal.).

The topography, while both enjoy mountain views, is so different. While I am considering a move to Denver and have lived away from Seattle for 13 years, I am homesick for the Pacific Northwest every. single. day. Nothing beats a snow capped Mount Baker peaking out of a gray sky broken by the sunrise. Or watching the sunset over the San Juans.

I have lived in Bellevue & Kirkland (and downtown Seattle, Lynnwood, Bellingham...you get the idea) and worked in Issaquah, Factoria, south Seattle, Lynnwood. There are tons of great areas there. I loved Kirkland and if I had the income, I would consider living there again. I also really love downtown Edmonds & Ballard, if you are not committed to the East side.

I am currently researching Denver myself and have been to visit twice now. I just don't see how you can compare the two. But I do wish you luck - either way - you are shopping to awesome places.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
Do you like dry plains & foothills near the rockies (although the last 2 months this year have been reminiscent of Seattle); or green scenery and beautiful lakes near the Cascades?

Soon-to-be rail access to Denver, or to Seattle?

Near the continental divide, or near the Puget Sound?

Weekends in the Rockies, or weekends in the San Juans?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,593 times
I have now lived in both areas, Denver being the place we just moved from, and Bellevue the plce we reside now. I will agree.... As much as some would think similarity,,,, they are soooooooo different. First this similarities: Mountains, outdoor activities, scenery.
Differences: Cost of living! Much more expensive in the greated Seattle area (Bellevue even more!) than the Denver area. You will geat MUCH more bang for your buck in the out-skirts of Denver than you would in WA. Especially if you're planning on buying. Both have booming economies considering the state of the nation at this point so both are win-win investments.
Consider this: rainy and moist, or sunny and dry... Denver a small yard will cost a $70 water bill monthy to keep it lush and green; Bellevue, chances of sun are 50/50 and your lawn will grow like a weed (probably investing the same $ in a good mower to keep it manicured.
Both Places are WIN-WIN. I have nothing bad to say about Denver other than It not having such heart beat of its own like ofhter cities do. Great Mexican food in Denver, great Asian food in Seattle.
Colorado is a LAND-LOCKED STATE! not much swimming options other than rivers, and "Waterworld" Seattle will make you want to buy a boat, eventhough you can only selectively use it during the summer depending on th weather.Colorado will make you want to buy a Jeep; The old mining roads (jeep trails now! check out [URL="http://www.traildamage.com"]www.traildamage.com[/URL]) Both places have GREAT beer, good food, Traffic is deffinitely worse in WA rather than CO.
Hope this helps! Cheers

Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 AM

11 posts, read 25,645 times
We live on the Eastside of Seattle for many years now and seriously considering moving to Denver! Don't get me wrong, Seattle is a great place to live but unfortunately you don't get much chance to enjoy the beauty of the state because of the gloomy/rainy weather. I've posted in other threads earlier, this year has been the absolute worst and many-many people I know are considering moving. Yes, typically we don't get a lot of snow but that's not true for the past several years. We've had quite a bit of snow and icy roads, most of the year is very damp, moldy, with grey sky and super short summers, maybe couple of weeks all together. If you don't mind the weather, I'd say it's a great place to live, especially in the areas you mentioned! Bets of luck to you with decision making, it's not as easy as it seems

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 46,101 times
This is an interesting thread. While I have not visited the Bellevue area specifically, I live nearby in Portland and have spent considerable time in Colorado. My sister-in-law lives in Leadville and I have spent both summers and winters in Colorado.

I moved to PDX in November with a full time job (I am a small animal veterinarian). My husband is in school here. In May, my full time job abruptly became less than part-time due to a very slow clinic schedule. My husband has always planned to work during school but has had an abysmal time finding even part time work. The economy here in Portland is SOOOOOO BAD. I am not sure about the Seattle area and hope it is better.

About cost of living, the PNW is not CA expensive but not midwestern cheap either. Rent here is about 800-1100/month for a decent sized apartment although I am sure some can be found cheaper.

Both the Denver area and the PNW are beautiful in their own ways. The green here in Portland is almost palpable but I have not seen the sun in consecutive days since I moved here in November. I am getting seriously tired of clouds. I really miss those 1pm thunderstorms from Colorado and the purplish color of sky in the mtns. that I have only ever seen in CO.

Portland and the PNW are beautiful but as many have said be sure to have a job before you move here and even then as I found out there is no guarantee.

My husband and I are hoping to move to the Denver area as they have wonderful animal hospitals (and a terrific vet school nearby in Ft. Collins) and is very dog friendly. I realize that economic times are difficult everywhere but I am hoping that the Denver area is even slightly better than Portland

Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadsoul View Post
Both the Denver area and the PNW are beautiful in their own ways. The green here in Portland is almost palpable but I have not seen the sun in consecutive days since I moved here in November. I am getting seriously tired of clouds. I really miss those 1pm thunderstorms from Colorado and the purplish color of sky in the mtns. that I have only ever seen in CO.
What I like about summers in Denver are that while they may be mostly dry and sunny just about everyday storms still build up over the mountains. Most days the clouds from those storms blow over the city in late afternoon/early evening cooling it down and setting the stage for some beautiful sunsets. There is always the chance for an isolated storm in Denver during the summer with more widespread rain in the spring.

Another big difference between a Denver rain and a Seattle rain is how cold it can be in Denver. Because of the city's high elevation when it rains it can drop the temps. sometimes 30 degrees. If it rains in the evening during the summer you might've had shorts and a t-shirt on when it was 85 degrees earlier in the day but after a rain and nightfall the temp. can plummet into the 50's.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadsoul View Post

My husband and I are hoping to move to the Denver area as they have wonderful animal hospitals (and a terrific vet school nearby in Ft. Collins)
63 miles from downtown.
48 miles from the extreme northern point of the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver