Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,402 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking in that same area (Piney Creek neighborhood specifically). Regarding the schools, we have noticed that the Piney Creek homes East of Buckley serve Trails West, Falcon Creek and Grandview while the Piney Creek homes West of Buckley serve Indian Ridge, Laredo and Smoky Hill. The one thing that attracts us to the East is that the schools are traditional (not year-round like those to the West). The schools also seem newer with better statistics. Are we accurate to assume that the schools to the East are better? Any firsthand knowledge? Also, does anyone know what the fastest route to downtown Denver on a typical work day would be from the Piney Creek area (specifically the intersection of Buckley and orchard)? In addition, does anyone have anything bad to say about the Smoky Hill neighborhood? We realize that it is older than Piney Creek, but we also notice that you get much more value (dollar/square foot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:41 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8the91fwy View Post
My wife and I are looking in that same area (Piney Creek neighborhood specifically). Regarding the schools, we have noticed that the Piney Creek homes East of Buckley serve Trails West, Falcon Creek and Grandview while the Piney Creek homes West of Buckley serve Indian Ridge, Laredo and Smoky Hill. The one thing that attracts us to the East is that the schools are traditional (not year-round like those to the West). The schools also seem newer with better statistics. Are we accurate to assume that the schools to the East are better? Any firsthand knowledge? Also, does anyone know what the fastest route to downtown Denver on a typical work day would be from the Piney Creek area (specifically the intersection of Buckley and orchard)? In addition, does anyone have anything bad to say about the Smoky Hill neighborhood? We realize that it is older than Piney Creek, but we also notice that you get much more value (dollar/square foot).
I have relatives in the northern part of Aurora, which has a bad reputation (although to me it's not terrible). We visited the area you are referring to, and it looks nice. I also like the idea of a traditional school calendar (I am a teacher) and Trails West appears to be a good school, as well as Falcon Creek and Grandview. Hopefully someone else will be able to address your questions. By the way, another area that has schools on traditional calendars is the Littleton Public School District, which covers parts of Centennial (to the west) and Littleton. The neighborhoods and schools are older and well-established, but the district has an excellent reputation. Check out Franklin Elementary and Ames on GreatSchools.net. (Ames doesn't get super high test scores, but the parent reviews are very favorable) There's more to a school than test scores, in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 44,575 times
Default Information about Centennial, Co - Near Denver

Has anyone visited and experienced what Centennial is like? The only thing I know is that it is close to Denver.

I was wondering if someone knew how far from downtown Denver it is and does it have a downtown of its own. If so, how is it?
Are there a lot of homeless people and gangsters?
Is the crime as bad as other areas or pretty good?
Is everyone a religious right-wing wacko, who are materialistic and prejudice?
Are the cops there insecure jerks, who will pull you over for going 10 mph pass the speed limit or for rolling a stop sign?

This is all important information. Thank you for reading.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:13 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alger View Post
Has anyone visited and experienced what Centennial is like? The only thing I know is that it is close to Denver.
5-40 minutes depending on where in Denver you are going.
Quote:
I was wondering if someone knew how far from downtown Denver it is and does it have a downtown of its own.
From where in Centennial are you starting from? Centennial does has a "main street" Arapahoe Road.
Quote:
If so, how is it?
It's okay - lots of stores, restaurants, office buildings (like mine)

Quote:
no

Quote:
compared to?

Quote:
not really - but it is awfully close to Greenwood Village

Quote:
Are the cops there insecure jerks, who will pull you over for going 10 mph pass the speed limit or for rolling a stop sign?
Sometimes. Be careful at the light at Yosemite & Arapahoe - run the light & smile for the photo ticket!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 44,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

Sometimes. Be careful at the light at Yosemite & Arapahoe - run the light & smile for the photo ticket!
lol

How close on a scale of 10 is Centennial to a metroplex level city, such as Denver? By how close I don't mean the distance I mean its population, crime, culture, traffic and all the elements of a metroplex.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:08 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Quote:

How close on a scale of 10 is Centennial to a metroplex level city, such as Denver? By how close I don't mean the distance I mean its population, crime, culture, traffic and all the elements of a metroplex.

It is a newer "city" born of fear from incorporation from Greenwood Village. I say it is a 8-9, as far as suburbs go. It will never rate as its own metroplex.

Even Aurora (Colorado's second most populated city) will never be it's own metroplex - some people call the area Denver-Aurora metroplex - but those people live in Aurora. the other "city-suburbs" don't call it that - ever.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,739 times
Quote:

I was wondering if someone knew how far from downtown Denver it is and does it have a downtown of its own. If so, how is it?

I've lived in Centennial for the last 10 years. It's pretty much your typical western suburban, predominantly white community. Typical chain stores, restaurants, and some office buildings. Depending on traffic its about 20-45 min drive to downtown denver. I wouldn't say Centennial really has its own downtown...more just a main road (Arapahoe rd.) where alot of the small office buildings are located. As far as homeless people and gangsters...I don't really see that at all here. Don't know what you are comparing the crime to, but I would consider it pretty safe. I wouldn't say everyone is right -wing here but the residents as a whole probably lean conservative in their views. Watch out for cops on Arapahoe...esepcially during the night time (after 10pm or so on a weekday)...I've seen up to 4 cop cars patrolling just a stretch of maybe a mile or 2.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM

37 posts, read 210,542 times
Quote:

I've lived here for most of my life. "centennial" is just a line drawn in areas that used to be called englewood, littleton, aurora, and a small bit of parker. There is no "downtown" area, although the Tech Center is located very close to the "city lines" - it can't be called downtown, but either way, it's a very nice area with one of the nicest malls in the state (Park Meadows). Not a lot / any homeless people, maybe the occasional guy by the highway onramp, but not as rampant as many cities or even downtown. Gangsters, nahhh, except for the "rich - middle income young white male wannabes". As for religious right-wing wackos, i think that's all just a matter of opinion - i know there are tons of "right-wing wackos" around, but I'm just as sure that there are many "left-wing crazys" as well. As for the cops, I'm sorry to say it, but Greenwood Village and Arapahoe County cops are the worst (notice there is no such thing as a "Centennial Cop") - they have an area to patrol that has relatively small amounts of crime, so for them, they seem to get their gigglies out of harassing people for minor stuff. Once you are here though, you start to learn the "cop-spots" that are popular breeding grounds for bored donut stuffing cops and avoid them at all costs. For the most part though, you're usually safe doing 5-10 over without a problem, but I have been pulled over for doing 9 over.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
IMO it is the middle of nowhere. True, you probably can zip down E-470 to get here or there, but do you really want to drop $7.00 every time you walk outside your front door?
Coming from the L.A. area, "middle of nowhere" doesn't sound too bad. And I'd love to pay only a few bucks if it meant not literally sitting for hours on the freeway like I do here. It would be similar to paying a monthly fee for the Metrolink--which many of us do here to avoid inhaling exhaust for hours. Anyway, I'm still interested in this area, as well as the older portions of Centennial which are serviced by Littleton Public Schools.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

92 posts, read 473,404 times
Default Centennial

I tried to look back and see if there was a thread on this area, and I couldn't find one. So I apologize if this has been covered already.

There is a possibility we may move to the area in a year or two. I've been to Littleton and Highlands Ranch area before. That seems to be a popular family area. So what can you tell me about Centennial? I went to the city web page. I saw a nice neighborhood called Piney Creek. I have a 2 year old and will have more soon. So schools would be a concern in a few years. Ideally, I want a home with sidewalks and a large yard with young kids around. Can I get this here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver