Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,158 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband has been offered a position in Denver and we are in the process of listing pros and cons of moving our family to Denver. I have lived in Portland, Oregon all of my life and love it here, so I'm really dragging my feet on this one. That said, I know this is a wonderful opporutnity for my husband and it's not fair for me to rule out the move. I know that if I have to move, Denver is a pretty great place to go. We're headed to Denver mid-May and I need to know where I should check out houses so that I will fall in love with Denver. We have two kids, 6 and 8, so good schools are very important. It's important for me to live in a neighborhood with many young families so I can meet people and my kids will too. I'd love a neighborhood with a pool, etc., and lots of community involvement. Our budget is $600K to $700K. I'd prefer a home built within the last 10-15 years with a decent sized lot, but like I said, I don't want to be secluded, so I'm not looking to live on acreage. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has of areas we should visit while in town. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
You will have no trouble finding a home in your price range. In fact, you will probably be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for less than that. However, you need to tell us exactly where your DH will be working so we can help you, e.g. downtown, Tech Center, etc. I don't mean the specific address (I'm not that nosy) just the part of town.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:31 PM

My understanding is that it's right in downtown. He's used to a 30-minute commute, so around that is fine. Thanks. I have been happy with what I can find in our price range, and I love the houses I see, but it's not enough for me to love the house if I don't love the neighborhood and schools!! I have a friend here that lives in the most beautiful, amazing house, but there are no families around her and she's miserable. I just don't want that to happen to us!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele1972 View Post
My understanding is that it's right in downtown. He's used to a 30-minute commute, so around that is fine. Thanks. I have been happy with what I can find in our price range, and I love the houses I see, but it's not enough for me to love the house if I don't love the neighborhood and schools!! I have a friend here that lives in the most beautiful, amazing house, but there are no families around her and she's miserable. I just don't want that to happen to us!
I would not worry about schools in a $600-700K house area. As for the kid situation, it will depend on the specific street. Once you find the house, check around for kids in the immediate vicinity. In general, the burbs here have lots of kids, particularly in the newer areas.

If DH is working downtown, you could live almost anywhere. I know, that makes it harder. Each area has its own vibe. I live NW of Denver, so prefer that area. I like it here in Louisivlle b/c it's sort of on the edge of the metro area, feels a little more open. The west side has the best mountain access. The southern burbs tend to be very "suburban", especially as you get farther from the city. I don't know the east area as well, but lots of people live there!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 31,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele1972 View Post
Hello everyone. My husband has been offered a position in Denver and we are in the process of listing pros and cons of moving our family to Denver. I have lived in Portland, Oregon all of my life and love it here, so I'm really dragging my feet on this one. That said, I know this is a wonderful opporutnity for my husband and it's not fair for me to rule out the move. I know that if I have to move, Denver is a pretty great place to go. We're headed to Denver mid-May and I need to know where I should check out houses so that I will fall in love with Denver. We have two kids, 6 and 8, so good schools are very important. It's important for me to live in a neighborhood with many young families so I can meet people and my kids will too. I'd love a neighborhood with a pool, etc., and lots of community involvement. Our budget is $600K to $700K. I'd prefer a home built within the last 10-15 years with a decent sized lot, but like I said, I don't want to be secluded, so I'm not looking to live on acreage. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has of areas we should visit while in town. Thanks so much!
All I can say his HOLY COW. If you are looking in 600 to 700K you will have your pick of neighborhoods. Politics plays a part here, the well to do left wing types prefer the Boulder area and the schools are great there. If you aren't going all the way North to the Boulder area, South metro is your ticket, East or West. The light rail currently services both directions south and NO directions North including Boulder. You will hear the term Cherry Creek School District a lot out here from realtors because it's considered the best. Parker is a lovely little town down Southeast and you have the money to buy a very nice place there. Also extreme south Denver metro in Highlands Ranch (HR) and Centennial there are plenty of planned communities down there. You will hear negative comments about HR because it was the first real example of suburban sprawl and made national magazine covers in the 80s because of the rapid growth down there into the hills. The houses are somewhat cookie cutter down there but lots of young professional couples with kids, rec centers, but it does look like sprawl. One of my personal favorite areas of SW metro is the "Turkey Creek Canyon" area by Chatfield Res, definitely check that out, it's gorgeous, and right close by is Ken Caryl, another superb area.

That's about all the experience I have in the outlying areas, downtown Denver is booming like crazy and "cherry creek" is a very upscale area for Downtown Denver, but you would have to realize you are in the heart of the city and those probs that come with it. Littleton isn't a bad area to be in, there are good and not so good parts but in the house range you are shopping you won't see those not so good parts.

If you don't mind being 40 min out of downtown Denver I'd look in Parker, HR, Centennial, and Littleton, and Chatfield/Ken Caryl. Pretty easy access to the light rail from down there, a nice easy run on the beltway E470 which is a nontoll road on the western half and a toll road on the eastern half from those towns, which take you around the city and up to the mountains without having to suffer all that city traffic. I forgot to mention West, they are starting to build out the light rail west to Golden but it's a couple years from done, they are doing bridges now. Green Mountain area in Lakewood has some outstanding views of Denver and it's right on the outlying western edge of Denver in the foothills. Very nice homes! Golden has some nice homes and it's a very close knit community there. Then it's into the mountains from that point which is prob outside your interest unless you want to peek at Evergreen.

Last edited by DenverfromHays; 04-25-2010 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM

OK, I'll elaborate a little more on the north area. Louisville, where I live is probably more like 40 minutes to downtown, but Broomfield is a little south and east of here; you could get downtown in 30 min from most parts of that city. There is light rail planned for Louisville and on into Boulder, but not built yet. However, there is good bus transportation. Louisville is an old coal mining town turned suburb to both Denver and Boulder. It has a cute little downtown, though there isn't much you can actually buy there. It does however, have some neat restaurants and the public library. I disagree that CCSD is considered the "best" school district. There are a lot of good school districts around here.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Thanks so much for the input. It really helps. It's scary to think of moving somewhere where I don't know anyone. The only person we've talked to is one of the guys who works where my husband would be working. He's 60-something, divorced, and his kids are out of the house, so I don't know if he's the best judge of what I'm looking for! I'm printing this out and will be driving everywhere when we head there in a few weeks. After that, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thank you so much!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:09 PM

You're welcome! Let us know where you end up.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Besides families nearby, what else would like to have in your new community?

Are you a suburban, urban, or semi-rural type?

I would start with homes less than 10 years old. Or somewhere where the elementary school is newer.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
I am very partial to the southern part of the metro area.

One area that fits nearly every critera you list is Ken Caryl Valley. It is in the foothills, is crawling with families, and has a community pool and equestrian center. The homes are more in the 20 year old range, but they are very well kept. The schools are also very good.

The same is true for the homes in the Greenwood Village and Centennial areas. Many of the neighborhoods over there have community pools. The schools are excellent (I think the best in Denver, though some will argue), and the school district is much better off financially than every other district in the area. The houses also tend to be a little older, but in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver