Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM

34 posts, read 35,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatterson24 View Post
As the original poster I think I should chime in now. DenverLawGal has been very helpful and insightful. She has experience in the field and lives where I'd like to be. While I realize everyone's experience is different and I may find myself faced with great difficulty in finding a job, everything Galtsgulch has offered on this thread has been useless and negative. It's very easy to get on a forum and tell everyone that they're stupid and what they're doing is a bad idea. It's much harder to go out of your way to sincerely help a stranger with some basic questions. I would have preferred to not read your posts Galtsgulch. You seem like a sad and angry person.
I am hardly sad or angry. I gave a differing viewpoint and you can choose what advice you wish to follow. Sometimes people are offended when you tell them what they do not wish to hear. My advice was to have a job in hand before moving or look closer to home and was attacked for it. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
bpatterson:

Thanks for saying that. I've worked in the legal field for almost 15 yrs. now. I'm not a lawyer but almost became one. I'm older now and just couldn't see going through all that for a job I'm not too sure I would like. Instead, I moved from legal secretary to paralegal and am really loving the work.

I work with wonderful people and make good money. I have the freedom of attorneys but not the absolute responsibility, which is nice.

I'm not familiar with environmental law - but I am with the others we talked about. It might be that you have to do similar "grunt" work you are doing now to get to where you want to be. I had to work in real estate, construction defect, class action (mesothelioma), domestic (ugh), personal injury fields (ugh) and insurance defense (double ugh). But now I'm in the field I adore and it was all worth it. Took some time but I eventually got there.

I know you aren't stuck in your field either as an attorney as I know many who've made transitions to the fields they really want.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,583,283 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I realize I'm going to get a lot of different opinions on all kinds of issues concerning this post, but I'm looking for some realistic feedback.

I'm a 25 year old from the midwest about to start my last year of law school at a no-name school in downtown Chicago. I'm tired of the midwest winters and don't want to continue living half of my life indoors. I feel as though once I graduate I have a small window of time to pick up and move across the country if I so choose. I've narrowed it down to either the Bay Area or Denver.

I'm looking for advice from people that may have made similar moves under similar circumstances. What can I expect job wise (I know, I know, no one's getting hired), lifestyle, culture, etc. I just want to get a thread going and see what happens. Thanks.
Don't you think a graduate from a "no name" law school in Chicago, will have a very tough time getting a job in Denver or SF?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,146,426 times
Is the law school you're going to accredited as required by the state of Colorado? Not all are.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM

This confuses me a bit. If you are to attend law school in another state, obtain a JD, then pass the Colo. bar, aren't you able to practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is the law school you're going to accredited as required by the state of Colorado? Not all are.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 AM

ok, never mind, I get it. You have to have a JD from an ABA accredited school in order to sit for the bar here. It seems crazy to go to a non ABA law school, doesn't it??

Old 06-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Vlajos: I was assuming "no name" meant not a well known name like Gonzaga or ivy league. That might have been a wrong assumption though. What do you consider "no name"?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 5,700 times
My school is ABA accredited. I believe Colorado requires ABA accreditation to be eligible to sit for the bar. Some states, like California, don't require this. I'm free to pay my fee and sit for the Colorado state bar exam next July.

My school, however, is not Northwestern or U of Chicago. It could be considered a regional school in terms of where its graduates practice. They have great success in finding employment in this area of the country. Making a transition to Denver presents a challenge because my school does not have the name recognition that the previously mentioned schools have.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM

OK, thanks for the clarification.

So now I'm thinking what will help you land a job is your grades, and the type of classes you took. If you landed great grades in real estate, go for that arena. Whatever you can do to get your foot in the door. I'm not familiar with how to get into the clerking positions, but I do know that blindly approaching firms might do the trick in some instances. Feel free to privately message me the firm names you come across and I can probably help you out as to firm culture, reputation, etc.

Quote:
My school is ABA accredited. I believe Colorado requires ABA accreditation to be eligible to sit for the bar. Some states, like California, don't require this. I'm free to pay my fee and sit for the Colorado state bar exam next July.

My school, however, is not Northwestern or U of Chicago. It could be considered a regional school in terms of where its graduates practice. They have great success in finding employment in this area of the country. Making a transition to Denver presents a challenge because my school does not have the name recognition that the previously mentioned schools have.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times
Quote:

Well, that explains California's mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: