Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Good Information. I think we should restrict cars more, no matter what the cost of gas. We are doing is slowly like the 16th Street Mall and Time Square in NYC etc.

We just initiated in the state a law that a car must give the right of way to a bus when the bus in merging in traffic from a stop. That is a good start.

We are widening sidewalks on Broadway for pedestrians, adding mediums and not adding any lanes to the road--good move.

It amazes me how people will run across a street to get out of a car that is waiting for them to cross--even mothers with a child in a stroller. Let the driver wait until one crosses at a normal pace. I do not like pedestrians running for me and I will not run for any impatient driver. I walk my normal pace which is slow and when I driver has problems with how I move and gets on the horn or says something nasty they look foolish and will make a big mistake that may cost them a fine--if I decide that they are harassing a person in need, considering I use a cane or a walker. Just my pet peeve.

Livecontent
I've always yielded to buses with their left turn signals on and thought it was law. I guess after living in Germany where it was the law, I just got used to it. And don't care to get run over by a bus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
The largest thing that bugs me about the Stapleton development is the big box Northfield shopping area. It is a sea of parking lots. If you feel the need to shop at Target before going to the movie theater, it feels like you have to drive your car from Target to the movie theater.

It is also out of the way and across I-70. There aren't any roads suitable for biking that go over to it. If I wanted to get there by bike, I would have to go on Quebec, or get on the unpaved portion of Sand Creek Greenway and cross over.

Then, of course, you have big wide streets surrounding and bisecting the neighborhood. I'm tired of these streets with wide medians, four to six lanes of traffic and when they have bike lanes, they are narrow and/or are in the door zone of parked cars.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
The largest thing that bugs me about the Stapleton development is the big box Northfield shopping area. It is a sea of parking lots. If you feel the need to shop at Target before going to the movie theater, it feels like you have to drive your car from Target to the movie theater.

It is also out of the way and across I-70. There aren't any roads suitable for biking that go over to it. If I wanted to get there by bike, I would have to go on Quebec, or get on the unpaved portion of Sand Creek Greenway and cross over.

Then, of course, you have big wide streets surrounding and bisecting the neighborhood. I'm tired of these streets with wide medians, four to six lanes of traffic and when they have bike lanes, they are narrow and/or are in the door zone of parked cars.
I agree, and don't like all the parking. There's the "main st." down the middle, but it seems so "feaux" when it's surrounded by suburban big box development. The access issue will be improved once the new Central Park Blvd. overpass/interchange is completed later this year.

Personally, I would prefer not to have Bass Pro there. Bass Pro should be outside the 470 loop! IKEA should have gone there, IMO. And I would have preferred the Quebec Square development to have been like Belmar. But nobody ever asked me for my opinion. There's supposed to be a dense TOD (transit oriented development) surrounding the new train station, so we'll see if they get that right. I still love living in Stapleton though. Best neighborhood I've ever lived in.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 AM

36 posts, read 55,917 times
Quote:
Bass Pro should be outside the 470 loop!
Well, the huge fish tank is pretty neat.

Quote:
I can't think of any streets that are 4-6 lanes anywhere near Denver? Maybe 2 lanes each way with a median in between, which I guess is 4 lanes in total but very different from places like Austin where bikes are allowed to and often do ride on the median of the interstate. Bike lanes are the same width everywhere and yes being at the edge of the street they are within range of car doors, this is not unique to anywhere.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinmikein View Post
Well, yeah. My boys could spend an hour looking at at. And they have great winter gear. Otherwise, they don't have anything I'd buy.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I can't think of any streets that are 4-6 lanes anywhere near Denver? Maybe 2 lanes each way with a median in between, which I guess is 4 lanes in total but very different from places like Austin where bikes are allowed to and often do ride on the median of the interstate. Bike lanes are the same width everywhere and yes being at the edge of the street they are within range of car doors, this is not unique to anywhere.
Four to six lanes refers to total lanes. This is pretty standard. Four lanes would be two each way. Two lanes would be one each way. You can have three lane roads, one lane each way with a center turning lane. It makes more sense to refer to overall lanes than the number each way. It gives a better sense of the overall road width.

What I would have preferred is more two lane roads (that's one lane in each direction) connecting the neighborhood. For example, 29th Ave could have been made to actually connect through Quebec instead of being offset. Perfectly suitable for cycling. In addition, the narrow width of a two lane road keeps speeds low. Wider roads such as Central Park Blvd, or MLK Blvd are conducive to high speeds even if the speed limit is low.

Bike lanes are not the same width everywhere. Denver has a mix of narrow bike lanes, wide bike lanes (Champa St in Downtown), bike lanes next to narrow parking lanes (MLK Blvd), next to wide parking lanes outside of door zones (Stout St, Champa St), next to no parking lane (16 Ave, 23rd Ave). There are of course other design issues with many of Denver's bike lanes, such as the lane being between double right turning lanes (Lawrence at 17th).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Denver's effort at providing bike lanes. I'm just saying, there's a lot to be desired with what we are given. In a new development, you have the perfect chance to build wide bike lanes outside of door zones.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:

I can't think of any streets that are 4-6 lanes anywhere near Denver?
Hm, Broadway south of Downtown is five lanes one direction. West Colfax is six lanes (three lanes each direction). Also I believe that parts of Wadsworth Blvd. Federal Blvd. Speer Blvd. Hampden Ave. Sheridan Blvd. Santa Fr Dr. Federal Blvd. and Colorado Blvd. are six lanes (three each direction). Probably more that I can't think of right now.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Hm, Broadway south of Downtown is five lanes one direction. West Colfax is six lanes (three lanes each direction). Also I believe that parts of Wadsworth Blvd. Federal Blvd. Speer Blvd. Hampden Ave. Sheridan Blvd. Santa Fr Dr. Federal Blvd. and Colorado Blvd. are six lanes (three each direction). Probably more that I can't think of right now.
Quebec St is six lanes at MLK and eight lanes at 35th. MLK is six lanes going through Stapleton.

The point is, for a "new urbanist" development, they are doing very little to make it multi-modal and the streets around Stapleton have become traffic sewers.

Inter-connectivity amongst the streets is reduced compared to a traditional grid (though is better than traditional suburban cul-de-sac developments) which helps contribute to the traffic sewers.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Most of these denver streets are so wide because they used to have streetcars running in both directions.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Quebec St is six lanes at MLK and eight lanes at 35th. MLK is six lanes going through Stapleton.

The point is, for a "new urbanist" development, they are doing very little to make it multi-modal and the streets around Stapleton have become traffic sewers.

Inter-connectivity amongst the streets is reduced compared to a traditional grid (though is better than traditional suburban cul-de-sac developments) which helps contribute to the traffic sewers.
What, exactly, is a "traffic sewer"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver