Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 9,495 times

Advertisements

Yes, you've seen this thread before..."Couple from Southern California thinking about moving to Denver." However, I've been researching all things Denver for the better part of the last 3-6 months, so I hope to avoid irritating the powers that be with the following post!

Backstory: I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis and moved to Southern California as a teenager. My wife has lived in So. Cal. her entire life. We have both been out of college for 3-4 years and we're looking to move out of LA for at least a few years, but very possibly for good (assuming we love where we move). So any move has to satisfy the following criteria:

- Affordable housing. To me this means, with 20% down and 30-year fixed, the mortgage should be less than 2.5x our total gross salary. In Denver, we are hoping it could be less than 2.0x.

- A place to enjoy before and after having kids. We intend to rent for the first few years wherever we move to and we want to be able to enjoy restaurants, bars, hiking, biking, sports, etc. before having kids. After buying a house and starting a family, we want to be able to take advantage of suburbs in the area with great schools, safe neighborhoods, and friendly neighbors.

Cities we are considering: As my screen name so eloquently implies, we are looking at Denver, San Diego, and my birthplace of Minneapolis.

Trip to Denver: We have planned a week-long trip to Denver starting next week to explore the city and look at possible places to live. I am posting here with the hope of "filling in the gaps" where my research may have missed something or, quite frankly, where the wealth of knowledge on this forum could help me avoid wasting what could be my only trip before a move.

Without rambling on anymore, here is our plan:

- Work: I am in the finance industry, so my job would most likely be in Downtown or DTC. Wife works in engineering and may be able to transfer within her existing company to the Buckley location. Otherwise, work could be in DTC or any number of other places for her.

- Plan is to rent for the first few years: We will likely look at the following areas - Capitol Hill, Congress Park, WashPark, and maybe Stapleton.

- Would like to be able to buy within 3 to 5 years: Looking in the following suburbs - SE Aurora, Centennial, Littleton, Greenwood Village, Parker, and Stapleton.

Are there any other areas that we should consider visiting during our trip? I know that Capitol Hill and WashPark are pretty expensive. Are there other neighborhoods that have similar qualities, but offer more for my money?

Any thoughts you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,692,201 times
Huh. I guess I'd add City Park, University Hills and DU/Bronnie Brae for areas to buy/rent in. Good luck and hope your move goes well!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,589,055 times
Just wondering why you are looking at renting in those specific areas, but buying in entirely different areas. There are a lot of very nice, reasonable rentals in Centennial and Littleton, with a short (even walkable or bikeable) commute to DTC. Our neighborhood is Cherry Creek Farm, located north of Arapahoe Road, south of Orchard, and west of Havana. It's obviously not as “cool” as Capital Hill, Wash Park, etc., but if you are thinking about the future settling down with kids, its a great area.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,218,388 times
It sounds like the Denver area fits alot of your criteria. It's a great city for singles and young couples as we have lots of great nightlife, vibrant festivals and a young population. It's also a great area for famililes, as we have lots of great suburbs with good schools and family friendly activities, etc.

In addition to the neighborhoods you named, I would also look at the Highlands area (west of downtown just across I-25). It's an up and coming neighborhood close to downtown that has a quaint residential feel to it. Within the neighborhood, there are lots of cool restaurants and lounges.

Good luck! And if you decide to make the move, welcome to Denver.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,729,145 times
Looks like you've done your research and pretty much figured it out. Washington Park and some of the other neigbhborhoods you mentioned are my favorite parts of Denver. As far as cost of living, Denver is a pretty typical city, it's definitely cheaper than coastal California. Wages are less though unless you can transfer your CA wages out there.

The Denver Tech Center and downtown areas offer a decent variety of jobs, Denver would be the hub for most of the surrounding states in that regard. Though, again nothing like the amount of industry and opportunities in California so if you plan on staying with a single job for a long time then it's fine, but if you plan to jump around then it would be difficult to do.

When we moved last year we came up with a list of top places we wanted to move to:

Denver
San Diego
San Francisco
Boston
NYC

We chose the Bay Area (San Francisco) and are very content with this decision.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Just wondering why you are looking at renting in those specific areas, but buying in entirely different areas. There are a lot of very nice, reasonable rentals in Centennial and Littleton, with a short (even walkable or bikeable) commute to DTC. Our neighborhood is Cherry Creek Farm, located north of Arapahoe Road, south of Orchard, and west of Havana. It's obviously not as “cool” as Capital Hill, Wash Park, etc., but if you are thinking about the future settling down with kids, its a great area.
Without having first-hand experience of any of these areas yet (and, thus, basing all of my rationale on reading this forum, searching on Google, and talking to a couple of people I know who have lived in Denver), I think we want to rent in the "cool" areas for a couple reasons:

- Currently we live in one of the beach cities in LA. I wouldn't call it a 100/100 in terms of a walkscore, but it's certainly higher than surrounding suburbs in our area. From our apartment, we can walk to bars, restaurants, coffee, and the beach (and we do so regularly). Because we won't know anyone in Denver, we really want to be close to social activities to try to meet people.

- Similar to the above, while we don't have kids, we want to take advantage of as much of the nightlife, restaurants, baseball games, etc. as we can. I may be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but those things seem more prominent in the "cool" areas. We aren't looking to party 4 nights a week per se, but we do enjoy great food/drinks, sports, music, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola
In addition to the neighborhoods you named, I would also look at the Highlands area (west of downtown just across I-25). It's an up and coming neighborhood close to downtown that has a quaint residential feel to it. Within the neighborhood, there are lots of cool restaurants and lounges.
Thank you for the suggestion. I had heard of Highlands, but didn't know enough to put it on the list. I will be sure to check it out.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Looks like you've done your research and pretty much figured it out. Washington Park and some of the other neigbhborhoods you mentioned are my favorite parts of Denver. As far as cost of living, Denver is a pretty typical city, it's definitely cheaper than coastal California. Wages are less though unless you can transfer your CA wages out there.

The Denver Tech Center and downtown areas offer a decent variety of jobs, Denver would be the hub for most of the surrounding states in that regard. Though, again nothing like the amount of industry and opportunities in California so if you plan on staying with a single job for a long time then it's fine, but if you plan to jump around then it would be difficult to do.

When we moved last year we came up with a list of top places we wanted to move to:

Denver
San Diego
San Francisco
Boston
NYC

We chose the Bay Area (San Francisco) and are very content with this decision.
LA is certainly a much larger market. There's no doubt about that. My biggest problem is that the majority of the finance jobs are in Downtown or Century City and I have very little desire to live in the communities that make either of those locations a reasonable commute.

On the other hand, in Denver it seems like some of the most desirable areas are very close to Downtown and DTC. That would be a huge plus, as I am tired of the 45min to 1hr commute each way, everyday. That's 30-40hrs+ wasted every month.

I'm glad you like SF. I have a lot of friends that live in the Bay Area and thoroughly enjoy it. Boston was on our original list, as I really love the city and surrounding areas. With immediate family on both sides living in LA, however, the 6 hour plane ride made it less appealing. Not to mention the still pretty expensive housing.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,729,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by den_sd_mpls View Post
- Currently we live in one of the beach cities in LA. I wouldn't call it a 100/100 in terms of a walkscore, but it's certainly higher than surrounding suburbs in our area. From our apartment, we can walk to bars, restaurants, coffee, and the beach (and we do so regularly). Because we won't know anyone in Denver, we really want to be close to social activities to try to meet people.
Based on this, you're going to find Denver comparitively lacking. Don't get me wrong - I like Denver - but it doesn't compare to the liveliness/ambience of the southern California beach cities.

The most active, socializing parts of Denver are: Colfax Avenue, South Broadway, Capitol, Highlands, Wash Park. There's a decent nightlife scene along Colfax and South Broadway.

I'm curious why you would choose Denver over the Bay Area?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 576,215 times
After 3 weeks in Denver, I've found that most places are near by and easily accessible. You've listed some great neighborhoods. If you're thinking children, I'd suggest adding the Highlands (not highland Ranch). Park by Lowell & 32nd & check out that area.

We rent in Lowry and are beginning to like the area and its easy access to downtown, cherry creek, trails etc. Park at the Lowry town center at Quebec & 2nd Ave.

There are two areas that I would like to investigate, but haven't so far. South Pearl and Baker.

Enjoy your stay. The weather is great, if a bit on the hot side. Don't forget to rent a bicycle & ride around.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:36 PM

345 posts, read 910,829 times
Do not do a whole lot of touristy things. Do some otherwise your week may be boring. But walk neighborhoods, talk to people, eat local, talk to wait people a bit, I go to supermarkets to see what they sell and how much it costs. I also get the local paper and look for jobs. Yes it can be done online but I look at the ads, local news and it is easier in paper form sometimes.

If you cannot transfer here that, here or anywhere maybe your biggest problem and not housing.

If you are flying in take some time to get use to the altitude before biking, or hiking in the mountains and such. It is less of an issue if you are driving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver