Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have not lived in colorado for 25 yrs. my siblings & I will be finding my mother some moderate assisted living before the end of the summer. The websites I have looked at are overwhelming. Can anyone give me some personal insight on this issue? Did any of you have to put a parent into assisted living?

Mom is pretty self sufficient; we would like her to have a community dining room, structured social activities & help with housekeeping & making sure medicines are accurately taken. We are hoping to find something in a nice are but reasonably close to both southeast Denver/Aurora & the northwest suburbs as family will be visiting from both these points. Areas/ places you would recommend would be greatly appreciated. Places to avoid would also be good to know. If there is already a tht hread on this, sorry & plz direct me to it.

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Just read TOS...sorry. I know you cant post actual residence names, but areas & advice on what to avoid/ what to look for would still be helpful. Thx!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
You could try contacting the Area Agency on Aging, just to see if they have any recommendations for this kind of situation. I don't have any recommendations for facilities here because my family doesn't live here.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Just read TOS...sorry. I know you cant post actual residence names, but areas & advice on what to avoid/ what to look for would still be helpful. Thx!
Not totally the case. It's true the site owner doesn't want businesses or professionals to advertise on here (or to troll for clients), the regulars on here are free to recommend excellent sources of many things (except realtors, which would still be considered advertising in the context of this website).

So, if people know of a good assisted living place, especially a place where their own family is residing, then tell the OP/us about it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
The premier guide to all forms of senior housing is the Blue Book. It is a printed publication with separate books for Denver North Metro, and Denver South Metro and other areas. The publications have additional paid advertisement but all books contain all sites, no matter if they advertise or not. The website gives all the information in the publications Assisted Living | Senior Resources | Senior Housing | Nursing Homes Directory I think the information is very accurate and gives you much information about senior care.

Interestingly you want a senior residence "reasonably close to both southeast Denver/Aurora & the northwest suburbs" Those areas are opposite each other at a significant distance--so that lessens your choice, probably to the central core of Denver.

All choices depend on what you are willing to pay because there is differences in amenities offered and the more you pay, the more you get. There are many private corporate luxury type facilities and many high end non-profit facilities. Non-profit does not always been less quality or cheaper. From to higher end, you go to the lower end of the spectrum where facilities are more for subsidized residents. However, subsidized facilities do not always mean low quality or cheap.

You can also choose a senior resident campus environment which has independent housing, assisted living, alzheimer care and nursing care. The residents move to each as the need arises or one partner needs more care and other less but they can be at the same facility.

Medical Care is a big issue and you must make sure that your medical provider does visitations and care at these facilities, if they are assisted care or nursing. I like independent living to be close to Medical facilities, especially hospitals. Many residences do provide transportation. There are many good facilities around Swedish Hospital in Englewood--that would be my choice for a good location. I like that location because it is dense, walkable and with excellent public transit.

I have not mentioned any specific facilities but I have visited many for an aged parent and for myself, as I am a disabled senior and this housing will be in my future. I do not like any isolated facilities for the mobile independent seniors that have no walkable areas and no public transit.

Livecontent

Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM

305 posts, read 770,244 times
I did some senior caregiving for a lady at Garden Plaza in Aurora and it is a beautiful facility--new, comfortable, and with helpful staff. They have both independent and assisted living areas. It's definitely one of the nicer facilities I've seen.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Thank you, all of you, for your thoughts & suggestions. I am working off a galaxy tablet right now & it won't let me leave comments in the rep fields....but I am already feeling better reading your comments.

livecontent, I chuckled @ your location comment because that's been my bone of contention all along. Trying to get the family to agree on a location that's central means Denver....yet that isn't so great either. Geographically "equal" could mean sitting in a traffic standstill on the Mousetrap, or hiring a bodyguard, lol!

I think as the days wear on; everyone will start to see that what's most important is not so much location as the comfort, safety & happiness of the person who has to be uprooted. ....sigh... it is moments like this that make me wish I would have remembered to buy a powerball ticket so I could live in two places at once!

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Thank you, all of you, for your thoughts & suggestions. I am working off a galaxy tablet right now & it won't let me leave comments in the rep fields....but I am already feeling better reading your comments.

livecontent, I chuckled @ your location comment because that's been my bone of contention all along. Trying to get the family to agree on a location that's central means Denver....yet that isn't so great either. Geographically "equal" could mean sitting in a traffic standstill on the Mousetrap, or hiring a bodyguard, lol!

I think as the days wear on; everyone will start to see that what's most important is not so much location as the comfort, safety & happiness of the person who has to be uprooted. ....sigh... it is moments like this that make me wish I would have remembered to buy a powerball ticket so I could live in two places at once!

Thanks again, everyone.
Central Denver does not necessarily mean a bad area. In fact some of best regarded retirement communities and independent living are located in Denver.

For example I would consider Allied Jewish Housing in Cherry Creek as one of better senior housing Allied Jewish Housing It is near Cherry Creek Mall and gives seniors a nice walkable area.
Via Flats in Washington Park east is a new renovated senior housing in a great neighborhood Vita Flats :: Apartment Home Living for Active Adults Ages 55 and Better in Denver, Colorado

There is Clyburn at Stapleton, a fairly new senior independent housing, which is in the very walkable area of Stapleton and across from the King Soopers.

There is Dayton Place Dayton Place and 1375 High Street 1375 High Street : CITY LIVING FOR THOSE 55 AND BETTER! which are great highrises near Cheeseman Park. If you drive down Speer you can easily see high end luxury apartments, condos that are some of best living in the area.

Look at this nice looking senior living center on Emerson Street http://www.brookdaleliving.com/parkplace-.aspx

How about Oakhurst Towers off Hampden
Denver Senior Living | Oakhurst Towers | Exceptional Retirement Community

There is Clermont Park in the University Hills neighborhood
Denver Retirement Homes - Christian Living Communities

Porter Place, alongside Porter Hospital on South Downing is well regarded facility in a nice neighborhood Assisted Living Denver - Porter Place Retirement - Centura Seniors

To say you need a "bodyguard" in by far most areas of Denver is just not correct. In addition, there are neighborhoods of Denver that have less traffic, less congestion and are less stressful than many suburban areas. You do not need to access many of the areas of Denver through the Mousetrap--if that is all you know or seen about Denver then I can understand your perceptions. Denver is not a very dense city in all neighborhoods and does connect contiigously with many suburban areas--in fact, you may not even know you are in Denver because some areas are very suburban in characteristics.

From your post, you indicate that your family lives on the fringes of the metro area. I run across this many times before that people have misconception of Denver; even native born and long term residents because all they see and perceive is through the windows of their cars, speeding down the highway. They never really go on foot; on a bike or take public transit to really see a city on the ground.

Your comments really disturb me "that's central means Denver....yet that isn't so great either" What does that mean? I think you do not really know Denver. Where do you live?

I am ex New Yorker and I know bad areas and Denver is a very nice safe city. I have been all over this city and I have lived here for decades. As I said, I have explored many of the senior residences--so now I gave you some clues to some of the good places in the City of Denver.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-29-2011 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 AM

244 posts, read 299,027 times
Is there something wrong with your mother that she could not live with you? Would it not be more dignifying for her and you to have her around? If you have children, would they not benefit from having a Grandmother in their everyday life? Does your mother not deserve the respect that you and your family would do anything in your power to make her comfortable as she passes into the last stages of her life?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Central Denver does not necessarily mean a bad area.

To say you need a "bodyguard" in by far most areas of Denver is just not correct. In addition, there are neighborhoods of Denver that have less traffic, less congestion and are less stressful than many suburban areas. You do not need to access many of the areas of Denver through the Mousetrap--if that is all you know or seen about Denver then I can understand your perceptions. Denver is not a very dense city in all neighborhoods and does connect contiigously with many suburban areas--in fact, you may not even know you are in Denver because some areas are very suburban in characteristics.

From your post, you indicate that your family lives on the fringes of the metro area. I run across this many times before that people have misconception of Denver; even native born and long term residents because all they see and perceive is through the windows of their cars, speeding down the highway. They never really go on foot; on a bike or take public transit to really see a city on the ground.

Your comments really disturb me "that's central means Denver....yet that isn't so great either" What does that mean? I think you do not really know Denver. Where do you live?

I am ex New Yorker and I know bad areas and Denver is a very nice safe city. I have been all over this city and I have lived here for decades. As I said, I have explored many of the senior residences--so now I gave you some clues to some of the good places in the City of Denver.

Livecontent
Hey, easy there.....i was just putting a little levity in a very trying matter. First off, thank you for all the links. I will explore every one of them.

I was born & raised in Denver; right IN Denver. I make at least 3 or 4 trips back home each year & have done so for a quarter century. I know Denver quite well, thank you very much, just don't know much about senior living options.

My comment about a body guard was purely tongue in cheek; mia culpa for offending you. By my statement that central Denver isn't so great, I meant solely in terms of family getting from point A to point B. I am a driver...city, country, big cities, small towns, traffic jams and all. However the same cannot be said for the rest of my family. Some of them cannot or will not drive; and I will neither explain nor judge the reasons.

I know bad neighborhoods too...from the east coast to the west coast. My living has depended on decades of travel ~ on foot, on bike, by car & by plane. When I am in Colorado, I get around. A lot. I live in the east now & do business in the city - all five boroughs...and I do my own driving through them. So coming to my HOMETOWN of Denver & traveling thru all its wonderful neighborhoods....seeing the changes...still getting the best Mexican food in all the country right in north Denver....riding and hiking along the Platte...checking out the boutiques in Cherry Creek....enjoying some LODO nightlife......yeah, it's all a really enjoyable slice of city life. Kabbish?

Last edited by bridgerider; 06-30-2011 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver