Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Are you kidding me? Speaking of someone who has lived in South Florida...

As for the OP, I don't think you'll stand out too much as Denver is quite Latino in some areas. But like they said it's different.

It's just different across the board. Whereas in S. Florida you will only see a Mexican occasionally and generally not from the country...here it's more stable. I don't know about you or your hubby but I know for a fact some Puerto Ricans and Dominicans weren't all that fond of Mexicans...so if you don't care to be 'surrounded' by them then maybe take that into consideration.

What bothers me about Denver is the few Puerto Rican people I have met here seem to have a really indifferent attitude to those who aren't Hispanic (e.g. Black) whereas in Florida they seemed a lot more sociable with their 'Black' side. Perhaps because they were from New York or Jersey

It's like damn...you Puerto Rican, you should be able to relate to me better than many of these Mexican people can. Atleast that's how I always had it growing up in Tampa. Yet out here it's like there seems to be no acknowledgment of the fact...
I do agree that the Black-Hispanic bond here is not as strong as it is in SoFla. However, I don't think there is any hostility between much of the Spanish community here or really anywhere in the US. In SoFla I have Mexican family members married to Dominicans, Puerto-Ricans, Cubans, Brazilians, Hondurans..whites and blacks. Sure there are jokes about the Mexican side being "illegals" but nothing hostile .

Anyways, what I meant is that IMO a Puerto Rican will not feel different or out of place here in Denver and I stand by that statement.

To the OP, if you haven't lived in a Mexican dominant location before (West Coast) you will have some culture shock, but nothing to be scared of. Just understand that not all Mexicans are illegal and much of the Mexican population are very American, don't fall into the trap of stereotyping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
Also, I never heard of any sort of animosity between Puerto Ricans (and Dominicans) towards Mexicans.
I hear about it here on the forums, but I have never witnessed it in real life. I think it is a myth. Just like the myth in Florida about Cubans not liking Puerto-Ricans, which I hear of quite often but never see it when I am there. All myths imo.

Last edited by Mach50; 07-08-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,349 times
Quote:
Also, I never heard of any sort of animosity between Puerto Ricans (and Dominicans) towards Mexicans.
Oh gosh...I used to date a P.R. guy and the things him and his mother would say about Mexicans still crack me up til this day. I will refrain from saying them as I don't wish to perpetuate the nonsense. It wasn't animosity like, "I hate those Mexicans let's fight". It was more underhanded, sly stuff. And most people in this side of the country would be so brazen to call a Puerto Rican a Mexican if they ever traveled out to the east coast and they would most certainly be miffed. Trust me, I lived in Florida all my life and I know for a fact Mexicans were not upheld in the same level of Latino people as others, and most certainly not like it is out here. For awhile even me myself was closed-minded about them until I moved out to Texas my image of them began to change for the better.

But it still trips me out though that the P.R. people I've met here seem to 'turn' Mexican. Not just here, but Texas and points west...

Nothing bad about it, but just my observations.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 AM

31 posts, read 69,047 times
Hey there! Sadly, I'm sure that "racist" jokes and/or comments DO come up during conversations amongst some friends and families of all races and creeds, but I'd like to think that my husband, myself and our children are growing up in a family that TRULY appreciates diversity and instills tolerance, acceptance and equality. The fact that we (us humans) take jabs at others, put them down in jokes and so on is nothing but despicable. BUT it does happen! I can say that I'm glad to know that there are plenty of Hispanics in Denver and that non-Hispanics seem to be accepting of others. At the end of the day, I guess that our kids, interests, morals and others will have a LOT more to do in terms of making friends than where we come from... or, at least, that's my wishful-thinking!

That said (talking a bit about everything), PLEASE, could those coming from a warmer climate share their experience with me about the weather-shock (if any)? I am a bit concerned about the winter weather; ok a LOT concerned! New Orleans did get cold during the winter, but it only snowed twice in seven years! So, how many months of terrible cold will I suffer? Do you have to plow snow everyday? haha Really! I don't know how that works!
Also, if husband found a job at a hospital in Aurora, how bad would the commute be? Picking your mind...
TY

Last edited by mari_1026; 07-09-2011 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Also, if husband found a job at a hospital in Aurora, how bad would the commute be? Picking your mind...
TY
From Stapleton? A piece of cake, about 15 min., I think.

Depends on where you are in Denver.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
So, how many months of terrible cold will I suffer? Do you have to plow snow everyday? haha Really! I don't know how that works!
I grew up in a non-snowy part of CA.

Terrible cold? Define terrible cold.

For me, it's only "terribly cold" a few nights a year. Most of the time, a hoodie with no gloves suffices for me. Some nights I wear thermals and long-johns. After awhile, 40F starts to feel like 70F.

Nobody but snowplow drivers plow snow. People with sidewalks in front of their homes are required to shovel their snow each morning after a snowfall. You'll see. It's good fun. (NOT!)

Read through this, it'll give you an idea as to what a mild winter here is like.

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ow-thread.html

Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Hey there! Sadly, I'm sure that "racist" jokes and/or comments DO come up during conversations amongst some friends and families of all races and creeds, but I'd like to think that my husband, myself and our children are growing up in a family that TRULY appreciates diversity and instills tolerance, acceptance and equality. The fact that we (us humans) take jabs at others, put them down in jokes and so on is nothing but despicable. BUT it does happen! I can say that I'm glad to know that there are plenty of Hispanics in Denver and that non-Hispanics seem to be accepting of others. At the end of the day, I guess that our kids, interests, morals and others will have a LOT more to do in terms of making friends than where we come from... or, at least, that's my wishful-thinking!

That said (talking a bit about everything), PLEASE, could those coming from a warmer climate share their experience with me about the weather-shock (if any)? I am a bit concerned about the winter weather; ok a LOT concerned! New Orleans did get cold during the winter, but it only snowed twice in seven years! So, how many months of terrible cold will I suffer? Do you have to plow snow everyday? haha Really! I don't know how that works!
TY
There was a bit of weather shock for me, coming from Orange County, CA, but it didn't live up to my fears. Each Winter is different. Last Winter I think I only shoveled snow once, and that was only 4 - 5 ". There was one Winter where we had a blizzard just before Christmas (2 feet) followed by heavy snow once every week for a few weeks, so there was a lot of shoveling. The nice thing about Stapleton is that if you get a house with the garage on an alley, you have no driveway to shovel and just your front steps and a little bit of sidewalk.

The worst of Winter for me is the 1 - 5 or so nights where it gets down in the single digits or below zero. But that's only a handful of nights. I think your body adjusts to the cold somewhat, and especially after an "arctic front" comes through and you feel 5 degrees, then a couple days later when it's in the 40s, you only need a light jacket and it doesn't feel bad at all. I've also seen it go from a low in the single digits to highs in the 60s within a week and then it feels like Summer!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:
TY
The commute shouldn't be bad at all. I know a bunch of my colleagues (UCD campus) who are at Stapleton. We are in the southern suburbs in an older area since we wanted a little more space compared to Stapleton. However where we are there is very little diversity (about 90% white and 10% Asian).

Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:

TY
The best you can do is probably move during the summer, right after your kids schools are over. That way you get to adjust to Denver's climate, which will be extremely dry compared to FL. Once you are adjusted to the dryness, then you can prepare for fall/winter, which can get very cold or mildly cool. Dress appropriately and you will be fine. No shoveling blizzards everyday, but we're probably due for a big one especially on years where lots of FL folks move here.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
The best you can do is probably move during the summer, right after your kids schools are over. That way you get to adjust to Denver's climate, which will be extremely dry compared to FL. Once you are adjusted to the dryness, then you can prepare for fall/winter, which can get very cold or mildly cool. Dress appropriately and you will be fine. No shoveling blizzards everyday, but we're probably due for a big one especially on years where lots of FL folks move here.
lol! I have a theory that Denver doesn't get two nice Falls or Winters in a row, so looks like payback is coming. I do love Fall and just wish we would get at least a solid month of colorful trees, cool to crisp evenings, and sunny days in the 60s. That's what I think Fall should be like, but more of a fight between Summer and Winter in Denver.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM

31 posts, read 69,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I think that I'm willing to live through the cold-cold in order to give my children the lifestyle I hope Denver will offer. Just recently Colorado came as the ONLY state in which obesity is less than 20%. Maybe some of those healthy habits that contributed to that ranking will rub-on and my boys will be outdoors/sports lovers, going skiing, snowboarding, hiking and all of the good stuff and that will, hopefully, keep them healthy and out of trouble. Not much to do around here if not for the beach, which imo, coming from an island, you take for granted when you have it close by and only miss it after several months without it. At least, when and if we miss it we can always go down to Miami to visit the in-laws or to Puerto Rico to visit my family. I think I'll be able to deal with the winters in Denver.... I've always thought that you can always dress up for the cold, but there's nothing you can do about the heat... UNLESS you strip down and run around naked.lol So.... we'll be visiting this upcoming fall, hoping for a summer move. I'll keep ya'll posted; in the meantime, PLEASE, do let me know everything there is to do over there. Are the mountains too far away? Is there any sort of kids' theater where they present puppet shows, magicians and stuff like that on weekends? I'm so grateful for all your responses and looking forward to the many more to come!!! Cheers!

Last edited by mari_1026; 07-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver