Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM

30 posts, read 60,599 times

Advertisements

Are ridiculous! Over $400 for an economy car from the cheapest vendor for a week before adding in any insurance. Twice as expensive as LA or DC. Is it lack of competition? Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,241 times
More of a fact that this area isn't a big tourist destination especially in summer.

Now, people can debate that all they like...but growing up in Florida, $179 a week would get you a mid-sized minimum. A nice one at that. And that was the only state I was actually able to rent a car in so far.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 PM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I like to use Priceline's "name your own price" when I visit other cities. I've gotten SUVs for as little as $25/day. Obviously I've never tried it in Denver since I live here, but maybe look into something like that if you don't need to rent from a specific rental agency.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
There is a lot of information on this topic on the colorado trip advisor forum. Generally renting off site from the airport and using discount sites like Priceline or clubs like Costco.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
At first I didn't believe you, then looked this up-- Wow-- I just looked up the price on Enterprise for 7/16-7/23 and you're not kidding! They're showing $745 total for economy car for the week. Same price for a week I pulled up in August as well. That is outrageous! Over this July 4th weekend I took a 4 day trip to SoCal, flew into John Wayne, rented a full size car there for $110 including all taxes and fees for 4 days.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any other options unless if you're staying with friends/family in Denver who will drive you around all over the place in their car. Fox Rent a Car is a little cheaper, about $418 for a week, but that's still ridiculous.

Double check with your car insurance company to see if your insurance policy already covers rental cars-- if it does it would be a complete waste of money to buy the supplemental insurance at the rental car agency.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 AM

59 posts, read 163,861 times
I'd say shop around more because I just rented a 2011 Nissan Murano from Enterprise at DIA on July 5th for the next day and I was able to grab it for $35.68 per day tax & all.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:42 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Double check with your car insurance company to see if your insurance policy already covers rental cars-- if it does it would be a complete waste of money to buy the supplemental insurance at the rental car agency.
Also, Visa credit cards and I think Mastercard also includes insurance for rentals.

1 reason why you can't rent a car with a debit card without a $400 deposit. And in some cases, they don't even let you do that if you don't pass credit.

I believe if you have a round trip ticket you can, as I did it before. But because of all of that I just drive everywhere in my own car. I've had 2 instances where rental car places let me get all the way to the end, make reservations even going to the rental place, only to give me crap because I didn't have a credit card at the time. It's like damn, I have more than enough money on this card and you won't let me rent? That's bull crap.

Best bet is to stay downtown and RTD it everywhere. I did it in Boston, which albeit there subways are superb, I forgot that I even NEEDED a car in life

Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
More of a fact that this area isn't a big tourist destination especially in summer.

LOL.
It's called supply and demand. Too many people wanting more cars than are available
Colorado tourism is alive and well -- especially in the summer. Denver usually has cheaper flights than other airports. People fly into Denver all summer long and take road trips to Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota, etc.
I know this... I was a travel agent.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Try to get a coupon off Costco or AAA membership, you can usually take 25% off plus sometimes a free upgrade or free GPS. But you're right, it's pretty pricey to rent at DEN. I guess they figure you can't go anywhere from the airport without getting a car.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Was curious. Seems like Denver is on par with other big cities?

(Monday-Friday reservation) same vendor

Denver

Economy Car $362.05

Orlando

Economy Car $235.24

Los Angeles

Economy Car $361.38

Chicago

Economy Car $358.99

Dallas

Economy Car $341.76
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver