Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,852 times

Advertisements

We are moving to denver area and there is a ton of information on here about what suburbs are great - but we would really like to look at some area's in the city its self.

1. We are a young family with 2 kids, middle and elementary age so school quality and safety is a concern
2. We are professionals and work from home, so commute isn't an issue as long as we are within an hour to the airport
3. We'd love to have the ability to walk to food, stores, activities, etc in the neighborhood
4. We'd love to have a safe, family focused neighborhood

Our budget is 200-300k with some wiggle room if we find something amazing.

If you think there is something else we are overlooking other than the 100's of posts about highlands ranch, littleton, etc, I'm happy to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,988,011 times
You can't find anything for 200-300k unless you are looking for an apartment or a less desirable area.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,087,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsosarah View Post
We are moving to denver area and there is a ton of information on here about what suburbs are great - but we would really like to look at some area's in the city its self.

1. We are a young family with 2 kids, middle and elementary age so school quality and safety is a concern
2. We are professionals and work from home, so commute isn't an issue as long as we are within an hour to the airport
3. We'd love to have the ability to walk to food, stores, activities, etc in the neighborhood

If you think there is something else we are overlooking other than the 100's of posts about highlands ranch, littleton, etc, I'm happy to hear them!
The cost of housing in Colorado is kind of high, and the cost of housing in Central Denver is even higher.

The biggest limiting factor will be schools. There are not that many great schools in Denver. Houses in areas where schools are good are pretty expensive.

Try Stapleton. It is probably your best bet for all your criteria.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM

531 posts, read 1,139,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsosarah View Post

You can probably find what you're looking for in southeast Denver. Neighborhoods like University Hills, University Park, Unviersity, Washington Virgina Vale, Virginia Village, Cory-Merrill, and Goldsmith.

Others to consider, Montclair, Hale, South Park Hill, North Park Hill (south of 29th, west of Monaco), and Hilltop

To give an idea, here's a map of Denver neighborhoods:
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Some of those neighborhoods can have really high home prices, so they might be out of your price range. Many, however, are still affordable.

There are some really nice neighborhoods as you get closer to downtown, but the prices can get really outrageous (Wash Park, Country Club, Cherry Creek, Cheesman Park).

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM

6,614 posts, read 9,163,829 times
Just a note about Washington-Virginia Vale: I live here, and my property DOES have a high walk score, but it's not very urban-feeling; for instance, you won't be walking to the corner store on tree-lined streets. If you don't mind walking to strip malls along Leetsdale and Monaco, then it *could* be a good fit if you compromise a bit. The schools aren't the absolute best in DPS, but they aren't bad either. I like walking to the grocery store, the donut shop, 7-11, etc., but just keep in mind that you'll be crossing busy streets.

I love living here. My part of the neighborhood looks a bit 'up and coming', in the sense that some of the properties aren't well-kept, but there are also a few 'scrapes' that have already occurred, and there are two new houses down the street from me that are in the process of being built, even in this economy. I live in a newer townhome that was a scrape. For $200-$300K, you can live in the 'nicer' part of the neighborhood, which is west of the greenbelt that leads to Garland Park. Those homes are all older brick ranches, but the area is nice.

It's really not family-oriented, though, in my opinion. There are kids in my neighborhood, but I don't know of any kid-focused activities that regularly occur in the neighborhood. It's not like Stapleton, for instance, where it seems like there are always movies at the park going on.

The benefit of living in Virginia Vale is that it's close to a lot of things: Downtown, Cherry Creek, even not that bad of a drive to the Tech Center or to the airport. It's very centrally located and in my opinion is kind of a hidden gem if you can get past the fact that some of the streets look a bit rough, even though there is no crime problem here. It has good bus transit, too.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 19,415 times
I have no idea what home prices are, but Stapleton is great for young families - that's mostly who lives there. THey have lots of community events like concerts and outdoor movies, a farmer's market, and a "town center" where you can do some shopping and the like. It's closer to the airport than most other neighborhoods, and not too far from downtown Denver, either. Their site is stapletondenver.com

Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM

143 posts, read 274,482 times
In addition to what has been named, you will want to check out Congress Park and Park Hill.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 AM

422 posts, read 811,837 times
I moved here last week from Atlanta. Feel free to get an honest, objective opinion from someone that is actually doing what you re doing.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
You can't find anything for 200-300k unless you are looking for an apartment or a less desirable area.
Dang, I sure hope to aspire to your, ahem, less desirable status in my life.

OP, other areas you might want to look at include the Hampden, Hampden South, and Southmoor neighborhoods. The schools don't score "the best" (with the exception of Southmoor Elem, which does), but my kids attend one of the other schools, and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Look at zips 80237 and 80231.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 19,415 times
I second the Stapleton recommendations. They have a variety of housing and I know they do have some options in your price range, though I don't know what size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver