Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
This is the difference between someone who is a native and someone who isn't.

I also have experienced the world and lived in other countries off and on all my life with my Dad. So what's it to you what I choose?
I don't care what you choose. Live in a yurt and raise llamas on Mt. Evans for all I care.

What does being "native" have to do with it? Maybe you're extremely young? I'm just saying, seems odd to me that someone would be so attached to their high school and then refuse to look at reality and realize that no, it isn't the only good high school in the metro area. I love where I live, but once my kids are done with school, we're on to a new adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't care what you choose. Live in a yurt and raise llamas on Mt. Evans for all I care.

What does being "native" have to do with it? Maybe you're extremely young? I'm just saying, seems odd to me that someone would be so attached to their high school and then refuse to look at reality and realize that no, it isn't the only good high school in the metro area. I love where I live, but once my kids are done with school, we're on to a new adventure.
I, too, do not understand what "nativity" has to do with anything. I can see, that if you went to high school around here, that you know all the stereotypes about all of them, but really, this is adulthood! My kids went to high school here, neither one of them, now that they are adults, feel they have to live in their own school district. One refused to even consider living in Louisville, and the other one got a job in Colorado Springs, negating the possibility.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
oh well, just something you'll never understand apparently. Just one of the mysteries of the universe.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
oh well, just something you'll never understand apparently. Just one of the mysteries of the universe.
lol! Maybe you should start a thread on updating a '70s house and we can help you out! We updated a condo built in 1970 that had shag carpet, popcorn ceilings, disco ball looking light in the dining room, orange formica counters, and cheesy wood paneling.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
My old neighbours house, it's older. He went into a nursing home so my Dad talked to him about selling his house to us. We don't like it. some houses are just too old and cost too much to update. Even though he updated it, it's not really updated like we like and again too much to invest.

Dark and depressing, tile counter tops, no biggie to replace. But then you have carpet, wood floors, paint, redo the basement etc... forget it. He did all of it but it was updated to him. He is 80 something.

It's hilarious how much these POS houses go for.

we want something newer.
So is your current house on the market? How is that going? When do you anticipate hearing back about your offer on the new home?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,094 times
Quote:
Being native, I don't understand it either.

I'm not particularly attached to the high school I graduated from. My fiance is also native and not attached to her's, either.

When I went to college, the whole high school stereotyping was fun and all, but after our freshman year, it never mattered.

I'll say it again, as long as you are there to support your children, they will succeed at just about any school.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
So is your current house on the market? How is that going? When do you anticipate hearing back about your offer on the new home?

We decided to build a new house in the area. A friend I went to highschool with contacted me today and his family builds custom homes. We can do this and actually save money. But since I have a contract with a realtor I have to pay him commission and he has done absolutly nothing for us. Kind of upset because I would have paid him, but he ran out and called the builder as soon as I hung up with him to make sure the builder knew I had a realtor.

Those contracts are great for realtors that don't work, I know not all realtors take advantage of that but some do... like mine.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
So you reneged on your offer? Yikes! I hope you get your earnest money back. What about your current house? Is it listed?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
So you reneged on your offer? Yikes! I hope you get your earnest money back. What about your current house? Is it listed?

no he made a counter offer.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-20-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I was actually going to say that I think I want to hang out with Cupcake77 in Greenwood Village for a day. It would be fun. I don't mean this in a bad way, but she loves Greenwood Village and speaks highly of it, and I guess I just don't know where to go when I'm there -- to me, it seems kind of bland and boring, and I guess when I think of a place to live that is 'in the middle of everything', I usually think of Denver (I guess I'm biased, because I live in Denver), so I want to know what I'm missing!

As far as high schools go, I noticed, when I lived in California, that my friends who hadn't gone to college seemed to care more about high schools, and who went to which school, etc. Or maybe it's just a western thing. I grew up in an economically depressed area on the East Coast, so most people left the area after high school in order to go to college or find work. In fact, my 10-year reunion was canceled last year because of a lack of interest.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-20-2011 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver