Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times

Advertisements

I haven't thought about high school since, well, high school. I don't have strong feelings about my university either.

Back on topic, I second greatschools, but there's really nothing better than making a personal visit once you've narrowed down the possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I was actually going to say that I think I want to hang out with Cupcake77 in Greenwood Village for a day. It would be fun. I don't mean this in a bad way, but she loves Greenwood Village and speaks highly of it, and I guess I just don't know where to go when I'm there -- to me, it seems kind of bland and boring, and I guess when I think of a place to live that is 'in the middle of everything', I usually think of Denver (I guess I'm biased, because I live in Denver), so I want to know what I'm missing!

As far as high schools go, I noticed, when I lived in California, that my friends who hadn't gone to college seemed to care more about high schools, and who went to which school, etc. Or maybe it's just a western thing. I grew up in an economically depressed area on the East Coast, so most people left the area after high school in order to go to college or find work. In fact, my 10-year reunion was canceled last year because of a lack of interest.
When she spoke of being in the center of everything, I don't think she meant places to go clubbing. Rather, I think she meant being close to her doctors, friends, and shopping. It is bland and boring here; it's the suburbs!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
I was actually going to say that I think I want to hang out with Cupcake77 in Greenwood Village for a day.
I love living vicariously in her world via her posts, it's one I'll never see.

I look back at high school with a fair amount of indifference, there's very little fondness in my memories, it's almost like thinking about backstabbings. There's no way in heck I'd want my kids to have my high school experience.

In other areas of the country, like CA in your example jon, it was more about referencing where one's from, to gauge socioeconomic status, etc. If you want to see a place where high schools are worn as a badge of honor, head over to the St. Louis forum ().

IIRC, Lakewood High School was voted best in the country within the last 10 years or so.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
The high school you send your kid to has to work for your kid. What is best for one is not the best for all. The same can be said for colleges as well. A successful person can come from any school.

Debating the top schools is like debating the top 10 quarterbacks in NFL history. Each was excellent in his own way, and each had his own situation to conquer. The same is true about schools.

The top schools in the "Best Schools" lists many times are charter schools or have magnet programs. They either pick their own students like Peak to Peak does, or they attract a homogeneous population of high achieving students through a special program like D'Evelyn, any IB diploma program, STEM schools, and Performing Arts schools. In many cases, these programs were started at underachieving high schools to attract higher performing students so those students can raise the test score average.

There should be no surprise if the schools who pick their students have excellent scores; it is a surprise when they don't.

Neighborhood schools (schools without a magnet program who must enroll everyone in their attendance area), do not usually have averages as high, because they enroll a much more heterogeneous population. These schools have to deal with more apathy from students and parents, and they have a wider range of student abilities to educate. Remember the law says that every child must go to school.

So I will give my two cents worth on the neighborhood schools. The best neighborhood high schools in the Denver Metro are: Cherry Creek HS, Arapahoe HS, and Fairview HS. These schools have shown a pattern of excellence for several decades. Because of this long pattern of excellence, a person need not worry about buying a home in the area.

Some of the newer schools in Douglas County and Boulder Valley have the potential to join this group, but they need to establish a longer pattern of excellence before they can be considered elite.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
. . .They either pick their own students like Peak to Peak does. . .
Just as a note, Peak to Peak charter does not pick its own students - all Peak to Peak students are chosen by lottery in the Boulder Valley open enrollment program.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:47 AM

229 posts, read 423,468 times
Quote:
I was actually going to say that I think I want to hang out with Cupcake77 in Greenwood Village for a day. It would be fun. I don't mean this in a bad way, but she loves Greenwood Village and speaks highly of it, and I guess I just don't know where to go when I'm there -- to me, it seems kind of bland and boring, and I guess when I think of a place to live that is 'in the middle of everything', I usually think of Denver (I guess I'm biased, because I live in Denver), so I want to know what I'm missing!

As far as high schools go, I noticed, when I lived in California, that my friends who hadn't gone to college seemed to care more about high schools, and who went to which school, etc. Or maybe it's just a western thing. I grew up in an economically depressed area on the East Coast, so most people left the area after high school in order to go to college or find work. In fact, my 10-year reunion was canceled last year because of a lack of interest.

Funny things is I grew up here, and actually attended one of the "rival" schools of Cherry Creek HS, Smoky Hill. We used to go to Creek parties all the time and it was "interesting" so to speak. We (the kids at smoky) often used to talk about the Creek kids as a parking lot full of BMW's and how they would go out and hand pick their athletes cause they could entice them with their lush campus. I guess I always considered it a school for those whose parents had lots of money. The year I graduated from my high school, it was nationally recongized as one of the top schools in the country whatever that means. Since then, I've met tons of people from Creek all over in various jobs, etc. I don't view them any differently now. Just another highschool down the street from where I grew up. I had world class teachers and the good chunk of my class went on to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. so I think you just have to do a bit of research before hand and find what's best for you but I would always have an open mind.

I agree with cowboy though, I have lived in Denver since 1998 and I consider it to be the center of things. There are so many great neighborhood restaurants, lounges, sports, parks, and things to do. When I think of Greenwood village, I think of Aurora where I grew up but with nicer houses. It still the suburbs and just doesn't offer the diversity and choices of the city. I like the old homes and big old trees and community events.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Just as a note, Peak to Peak charter does not pick its own students - all Peak to Peak students are chosen by lottery in the Boulder Valley open enrollment program.
My apologies, however, it doesn't change the fact that this is a self-selecting group that is more motivated than the general population.

If an apathetic student who didn't like school moved into a house across the street from the school, and showed up in the office the week before school starts to register for classes, he would not be allowed to attend Peak to Peak. The neighborhood schools is required to accept the student. There is a real difference when you have to accept a student rather than pick from a pool of students who really want to attend the school.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
My apologies, however, it doesn't change the fact that this is a self-selecting group that is more motivated than the general population.
I agree. And the pool for said P2P lottery is likely going to be full to the brim with parents of kiddos who are serious about an exemplary education. Yet, 7 of the 9 front range high schools included in the national top 500 ARE regular public schools, forced to take whomever shows up at their door, so to speak.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Being native, I don't understand it either.

I'm not particularly attached to the high school I graduated from. My fiance is also native and not attached to her's, either.

When I went to college, the whole high school stereotyping was fun and all, but after our freshman year, it never mattered.

I'll say it again, as long as you are there to support your children, they will succeed at just about any school.

I agree with you... mostly. I was a product of Cherry Creek for grade 1-8. When I moved to DPS for high school I remember taking placement test for math and while everyone else was struggling with it, I breezed through it and surprised even the teacher with how fast I completed it and how high my score was. I don't bring this up to brag (in my middle school I was just an OK math student), but to me this shows that there are different standards in different districts.

Of course this was before standardized testing was the gold standard so all of my experiences may have nothing to do with the current reality.

We are in the top district in Tucson and if I am able to get back to Denver the school district will play a very large role when we decide where to live; however, we will still continue to be very involved in our children's educations and the district (and the specific schools within the district) will NOT be the dominant factor.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Quote:

. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I agree. And the pool for said P2P lottery is likely going to be full to the brim with parents of kiddos who are serious about an exemplary education. . .
My apologies to you - I wasn't pointing it out for any reason other than because folks come to threads like these to learn about schools in the metro area.

I wanted to let people know that Peak to Peak doesn't choose its students, rather, the students' families choose Peak to Peak, and submit their names for enrollment - it's chance, "winning the lottery" that gets a student admitted/enrolled there.

I wasn't intending any commentary or inference about the quality of the school or why it's thought to be good, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver