Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Like I said - You crack me up!! Such a tease.
This little story was not directed to the OP. I was not even thinking about his issues; just the subject of the thread. What he should realize that a thread is not is own property but is open to all ideas about the subject. It just somewhat occurred to me to describe a little story about making contacts with the opposite sex in a Senior Center, since seniors are over 35 and should be regarded as having still a social life.

So, I wrote it in first person from the perspective of a older man visiting a senior center. I have visited a senior center and an event like this is typical of lonely woman being in a group and here comes a good looking older man. Keep in mind, at this age group, older man are mostly gone, leaving many lonely women.

I used some literary license and some humor which I thought was very creative especially saying 35++++++++ and "I switched canes, so the gals would not think I was a one cane man" This applies to me as I use a cane, being disabled and I have many canes. In times past, canes were a decorated item for a gentleman and he used a different cane for different social events.

So, to take offense to just a little story about a slice of everyday life, is just crazy. This got me going on thinking why would anybody find this offensive, unless they had other problems--unfortunately, when I get going, I just keep on going...

Livecontent

Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 AM

88 posts, read 227,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
...and THIS is what qualifies as advice for an active, Denver-appreciating, youthful 40-y.o. professional guy with a serious question about singles near his age?

Thanks anyway, livecontent. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the senior center.

Why do I feel like I'm getting hazed here?
He probably just wanted to share his story. Don't take it as hazing you.

In writing 35+ as senior, he, I am sure inadvertently, made me feel old (for a fleeting moment) even though I like getting older and wiser.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM

310 posts, read 651,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This little story was not directed to the OP. I was not even thinking about his issues; just the subject of the thread. What he should realize that a thread is not is own property but is open to all ideas about the subject. It just somewhat occurred to me to describe a little story about making contacts with the opposite sex in a Senior Center, since seniors are over 35 and should be regarded as having still a social life.

So, I wrote it in first person from the perspective of a older man visiting a senior center. I have visited a senior center and an event like this is typical of lonely woman being in a group and here comes a good looking older man. Keep in mind, at this age group, older man are mostly gone, leaving many lonely women.

I used some literary license and some humor which I thought was very creative especially saying 35++++++++ and "I switched canes, so the gals would not think I was a one cane man" This applies to me as I use a cane, being disabled and I have many canes. In times past, canes were a decorated item for a gentleman and he used a different cane for different social events.

So, to take offense to just a little story about a slice of everyday life, is just crazy. This got me going on thinking why would anybody find this offensive, unless they had other problems--unfortunately, when I get going, I just keep on going...

Livecontent
Please understand that the "humor" of your little story was not lost on me...it was just overwritten by a feeling of dismay that I wasn't really receiving any useful information from current Denverites (only Snikt, if memory serves). It was the only serious question I had at this time for this forum, and yes it was bit disconcerting to see it turned into somewhat of a joke.

I did see that you at least tried to answer my question in a later post, so thank you for that.

From what has been described as being such an active, helpful forum...it's seems somewhat aloof to me. Maybe it's the subject matter, or maybe it's how my original post came across. Anyway...moving on.....

Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 27,476 times
I am on the cusp of 40's, male, live in cheeseman park. I have never had a problem finding a date. From what I hear, lots of single guys 30-40's are single for reason. ie., no car, crappy job, too scraggly, not wanting to grow up, etc.

I think if you have your stuff together that you should have no problem. I have no problem. The women here are kinda "plain" though, which leaves me being picky, actually.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 PM

310 posts, read 651,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver80218 View Post
I am on the cusp of 40's, male, live in cheeseman park. I have never had a problem finding a date. From what I hear, lots of single guys 30-40's are single for reason. ie., no car, crappy job, too scraggly, not wanting to grow up, etc.

I think if you have your stuff together that you should have no problem. I have no problem. The women here are kinda "plain" though, which leaves me being picky, actually.
Thanks for responding! That's great info, and the type of boots-on-the-ground report I was looking for when I created this thread. I'm seeking a local's report on the relative available pool of Denver area male / female singles in the age range of, say, 32-45.

As I've stated before, I think Denver could be a great fit for me in a number of ways, but if I were to hear consistently from people in that age range that there are 3 eligible single guys for 1 eligible lady...well, I would need to factor that into my decision-making process. The other angle (aside from the ratio itself) I was trying to explore is: are the singles (females, specifically) in that age range relatively abundant, as they are in other larger cities like SF, NY? Or are they few and far between, as most are either married off by 35, or maybe not "dating / marriage material"? From your initial response, it sounds like there are plenty to go around...but I'm just attempting to put a finer point on it.

Also, 80218 - Since you've shared that you've had decent success, may I ask what type of venues, activites, etc...that seem to be working for you? In other words, are you just hitting the happy hours and the clubs, or are your social outlets more focused on activities and interest groups (hiking, sports leagues, book clubs, Meet-up's, etc...)?

TIA for any input!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
We've beat this topic to death; time to close it, there's nothing left to add.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver