Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM

230 posts, read 409,012 times

Advertisements

I've read all the stats, I've visited in various months/seasons.... my impression:

dry and desert like in summer? Is there rain?
winter: cold and dry? I was there in December last year and it was frigid, as was much of the nation at that time.

I'm in Wisconsin right now and the stats indicate that Denver might be 10 degrees warmer at any time. I'm looking for spring by late March / early April, not June

I'm curious how tolerable the winters are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Millions live here, no problem.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
One's perceptions on Denver winters depend largely on what you're used to. If you have grown up with northern midwest winters, Denver's will generally seem rather mild and pleasant with the occasional short cold snap. If one is coming from Phoenix, San Diego, Florida, winters will seem long, snowy and cold.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM

121 posts, read 199,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Millions live here, no problem.
Millions live in Canada/Alaska too, that doesn't tell us anything about the winters.

OP, I've visited many times and the difference is CO winters have the occasional 60-70 degree days where snow melts vs. midwest winters where it's pretty much a deep freeze for 4 months straight.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGolfer View Post
Millions live in Canada/Alaska too, that doesn't tell us anything about the winters.

OP, I've visited many times and the difference is CO winters have the occasional 60-70 degree days where snow melts vs. midwest winters where it's pretty much a deep freeze for 4 months straight.
The number 1 characteristic for Denver's climate is its dryness (Denver is in the rain shadow of the Rockies - read about the rain shadow here).

The number 2 characteristic is its sunshine.

The winters are sunny, cold and dry and the summers are sunny, hot and dry.

Spring is about 1 1/2 months long (halfway through April until June), as is Autumn (halfway through September until November). During those periods, there will be snow, albeit not significant, but it will melt immediately. Most of the time that snow will not accumulate on the streets, but just the grassy areas.

Because Denver has a lack of humidity, it means we also have a lack of clouds. This affects the climate by making the nights much colder than the days. In the winter, the days are not particularly cold (highs in the 40s and maybe low 50s), but the heat is quickly lost at night (lows in the teens and 20s). In the summer, we the same process means that daytime highs are in the 80s and 90s with nighttime lows in the 50s and 60s. In the winter it is not uncommon to get at high in the 60s and maybe the low 70s during the winter time.

The winter is very windy at times, but often the winds are warm (chinook winds) and will increase the temperature in the city.

The snowiest month of the year is March, followed by April and November. Because of the direct sun, the snow melts quickly.

In July, we usually get a flow of moisture from the southwest which will produce daily thunderstorms in the afternoon. It will be 90s before the clouds roll in, 70s during the storm, and back into the 90s after the storm leaves. The storms typically do not last more than an hour from start to finish.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times
davidv: Well summarized. I couldn't have done it better myself.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Thanks that is very helpful. I am in Wisconsin, so I'm used to long grey cold and windy days. The stretch that is winter seems interminable.

For my job I can live anywhere near a major airport, and with my daughter through school, we are now thinking about moving somewhere with a milder winter. That isn't our only consideration of course, but for me it's huge. I'm 50 and I figure I have what 25 years left? I don't want to spend them freezing from November until June.

Denver area appeals to my daughter and husband, they love outdoor activities, as do I (in the summer ), and as a community, there seem to be areas like where we are = Madison, WI.

BUT for me.... it's the snow and the cold I want to be sure about. I noticed the dryness too when I've been there before. My fingers/skin don't like the cold and I noticed it immediately.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by dmiller91; 07-20-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM

399 posts, read 817,279 times
Quality lotion and lip balm are your friend when it comes to Colorado. Don't skimp out, apply it often and according to the needs of your skin, and you won't turn into paper mache. Simple and easy.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM

yeah, I hear you. My skin is so sensitive that my fingers bleed. My skin loves humidity LOL. I have to use an acid on my finger tips all winter here in WI to keep it under control. Too much winter I am sure!

It's always good to visit a place many times before commiting to a move. I've been there numerous times in the summer and fall. It took the winter visit for me to really experience the dryness.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM

88 posts, read 227,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
One's perceptions on Denver winters depend largely on what you're used to. If you have grown up with northern midwest winters, Denver's will generally seem rather mild and pleasant with the occasional short cold snap. If one is coming from Phoenix, San Diego, Florida, winters will seem long, snowy and cold.
What about if coming from Sacramento?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver