Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So what? Safeway and King Soopers sell their own brands too. Most store brands are just generic products anyway that are distributed with special packaging for each store they are sold at. Same products at two different stores. Just a different logo stamped on each package.

As for low prices, I don't buy it. Where I live I have a choice of a TJs, or an open air independent market, just a block apart from each other. Roughly they seem to sell the same line of products. I can't speak for all products, but I do know that produce (which is what is important to me) is about is about one-third the price at the independent market, compared to what TJs charges. Yet Californians are lined up like sheep that the TJs.
I never bought produce from TJs. That was their one negative IMO.

But you obviously don't get it with TJs. If you think you can get the same items at Safeway or KS, then you really just don't get it. It's not the same Safeway generic with a TJs logo stamped on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
I wholeheartedly agree with Denverian. Not the same thing at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I never bought produce from TJs. That was their one negative IMO. But you obviously don't get it with TJs. If you think you can get the same items at Safeway or KS, then you really just don't get it. It's not the same Safeway generic with a TJs logo stamped on it.

We used to have non-stop to Tokyo, but then United pulled out. Damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Very cool. Hopefully non-stop to Paris and Tokyo are next.

9 News this morning said it was the biggest amusement park located in a downtown area in the country. That doesn't work for me. I need coasters. Scary ones. And I don't mean the rickety one still running that my mom forced me to ride on when I was a kid. That was more like life-threatening scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
A bigger Six Flags would be great for Denver. Something closer in size to Six Flags over Texas. They could expand on the parking lots and build parking garages that would also serve the Pepsi Center. Elitch's compared to most big city amusement parks is small.

here here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver is missing the one and only TONY, the Antlered Chamataka, the Handsome Hindu, the Sagebrush Swami, who left our fair state for the horrors of NC. Woe is us.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Merged 4:1

Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,630,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver is missing the one and only TONY, the Antlered Chamataka, the Handsome Hindu, the Sagebrush Swami, who left our fair state for the horrors of NC. Woe is us.
Ah, here I am, Mike

One of my biggest misses was not running into you when I was out and about Colorado Springs

Hope you guys are doing great.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Ah, here I am, Mike

One of my biggest misses was not running into you when I was out and about Colorado Springs

Hope you guys are doing great.
Hey there, when you moving back to Denver?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times
Quote:
Actually.... no. TJs sells their own brand of many things, and they're at a lower price than you'll find for comparable items. That's part of the beauty of TJs. They have original items at low prices. And healthy items too.
I do appreciate TJs, but I would like to point out that if you price their "comparable items" by the ounce, they do not generally have lower prices. They are experts at packaging and marketing. They may have better prices than, say, Whole Foods, but I'm pretty sure King Soopers and Safeway can give them the proverbial "run for their money" when you measure cost per ounce.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I do appreciate TJs, but I would like to point out that if you price their "comparable items" by the ounce, they do not generally have lower prices. They are experts at packaging and marketing. They may have better prices than, say, Whole Foods, but I'm pretty sure King Soopers and Safeway can give them the proverbial "run for their money" when you measure cost per ounce.
Probably true. I guess that's where the unique items come into play, and when you compare like items to WF, they're much cheaper. But then so is every other store!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:09 PM

833 posts, read 1,705,867 times
Quote:
Probably true. I guess that's where the unique items come into play, and when you compare like items to WF, they're much cheaper. But then so is every other store!
I don't care who really makes the products for them, or if the package is a slightly different size, but you are absolutely right about the unique items!

Their Tomato Basil Marinara is the best jarred sauce I've found ($2), the whole wheat pasta ($1.50) is better than the national brand I've tried. Their pretzel chips, orange chicken, nuts (including the original Eagle brand Honey Roasted Peanuts recipe) & dried fruits are all staples in our house and cost less than the super market varieties, regardless of minor packaging differences.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 PM

208 posts, read 417,810 times
pricing "per Ounce" is not very good measure of a food's worth. Sure, their pizza's are thinner and lighter than standard brands at Krogers like Digiorno, etc., but the quality of ingredients and taste is better.

I do agree though that it's unwise to buy any type of sweets or deserts at TJ. The simple things like chocolate covered raisons easily run for $5-6/package.

Their beer is overpriced by 30% also, and isn't even cold! How pitiful, us alcoholics hate that!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM

53 posts, read 175,297 times
What is Denver missing...decent drivers...

Ever tried to merge onto Hampden, I-25 or I-70, you come up the entry lane, get up to speed, are ready to merge to the left into the flow of traffic...in your side view mirror you see someone in the middle lane gun their car and whip over into the lane you are about to move into...you end up having to slam on the brakes and sit and wait until there is a big enough openning to merge in from a stop at the end of the entrance ramp now. Try to change lanes and people will speed up to keep you from changing over in front of them. Turn signals....you know, those little lights in the 4 corners of those cars and trucks we own....they are very easy to learn how to use....please do so.

Another thing we are missing is all of the citys surrounding Denver in the metro area need to start charging Denver residents a privledge tax for coming into our citys to work....its only fair, we have to pay $39 dollars a month to the city of denver to come there and work....for me its been well over 25 years every month, $39 privledge tax out of my check to the city of Denver. Whats fair is fair lets charge them as well.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
What is Denver missing...decent drivers...

Ever tried to merge onto Hampden, I-25 or I-70, you come up the entry lane, get up to speed, are ready to merge to the left into the flow of traffic...in your side view mirror you see someone in the middle lane gun their car and whip over into the lane you are about to move into...you end up having to slam on the brakes and sit and wait until there is a big enough openning to merge in from a stop at the end of the entrance ramp now. Try to change lanes and people will speed up to keep you from changing over in front of them. Turn signals....you know, those little lights in the 4 corners of those cars and trucks we own....they are very easy to learn how to use....please do so.
I see your post and raise you "What is Denver missing...decent roadway and traffic ENGINEERS." Seriously, though not the most difficult town I've ever had to drive in, it is by no means easy. Perhaps some better design would improve at least some of the driving. That said, there will always be some people for whom there is little hope

Quote:
Another thing we are missing is all of the citys surrounding Denver in the metro area need to start charging Denver residents a privledge tax for coming into our citys to work....its only fair, we have to pay $39 dollars a month to the city of denver to come there and work....for me its been well over 25 years every month, $39 privledge tax out of my check to the city of Denver. Whats fair is fair lets charge them as well.
Suits me fine. I live in Denver. I work in Denver. I pay Denver taxes. I get Denver things. Denver Zen is Happy Zen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver