Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM

431 posts, read 446,269 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am a 26 year old female that is born and raised in Northwest CT.

I have been toying with the idea of moving to Denver for a few years now. I've never visited, but it's always really appealed to me based on what I've read and seen online. I'm a pretty easy person to please...I moved to an area of Pennsylvania for a year that I had never been to and didn't have many issues. I only moved home because my father had died while living there and I wanted to be closer to family & friends.

I also have several friends in the Denver and Greeley areas, so this is another reason why Denver appeals to me as a new place to try out. I've spent 25 of my 26 years in CT and I just am really itching for a change. I'm also just very sick of the high cost of living here....everything is so expensive and it's so hard to make it here as a young working female

To tell you a little bit about myself...

I am 26 and have a BA in Communications. I currently work full time for a small boutique communications firm as a project assistant, I've been there for a year, and wouldn't mind doing something similar out in Denver. I've also worked part time (on Saturdays) for some of the big pet food companies out there as a sales rep, and I love this as well, and wouldn't mind also perhaps finding a good job in the pet industry. I also have some admin experience at a law firm and interned at MTV during college.

I have 2 dogs, and they are definitely the most important thing to me! I'd love to be somewhere dog friendly and having dog parks nearby would be a huge plus. Besides that, my entertainment needs are pretty simple...I like going to the movies, going out to eat, going to concerts and occasionally going to a bar.

I currently am just having trouble making ends meet in this state...and I feel like i'm going to be stuck in this stage for awhile when this state just keeps going downhill it seems. Do you think Colorado could be a good fit for me? And what about employment prospects in either the communications field or the pet industry?

Thank you for any insight you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default What are the dogs breeds???

Greater Denver bans pit bulls and other breeds.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Meg, you're young and apparently not encumbered with family so go ahead and make the move if you can.

Denver isn't cheap either these days, but look at padmapper.com for rental prices and maybe your pals out here can host you for a few weeks.

Check craigslist for jobs but nothing works like having a local address and phone for them to call; maybe your friends will let you use their's to help out. Lots of firms don't hire people from out of state; your chances are greatly improved if you already live here, or appear to live here.

Nothing works like visiting, see if these fares help
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Greater Denver bans pit bulls and other breeds.
I don't have breeds that would be on any BSL lists. I have a 20lb french bulldog and a 40lb bluetick coonhound mix

Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Meg, you're young and apparently not encumbered with family so go ahead and make the move if you can.

Denver isn't cheap either these days, but look at padmapper.com for rental prices and maybe your pals out here can host you for a few weeks.

Check craigslist for jobs but nothing works like having a local address and phone for them to call; maybe your friends will let you use their's to help out. Lots of firms don't hire people from out of state; your chances are greatly improved if you already live here, or appear to live here.

Nothing works like visiting, see if these fares help
My one friend has already offered to let me stay with her if I do come out there, while I get on my feet and get settled. I'm sure she would let me use her address as well.

And no, no family of my own Just a single dog mom LOL

Denver isn't cheap either? I thought Colorado overall ranked pretty high in terms of having a good cost of living?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
Ooh and they are adorable!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 54,916 times
So adorable. I am moving there too with dogs. Its going to take some time to find what you like maybe but you will find what works for you, nothing is impossible. Eyeball craigslist and padmapper religiously. Sounds like you have a lot of support there between friends and family, make it happen and start hunting early, now, for jobs. If you dont like where you are, jump in to Denver with both feet. You are young, obviously smart and resourceful. You will be fine. Preparation is wisdom. Thats all. Also theres a lot of people that attend schools that are looking for roommates. Try CCA and other schools bulletins for roommate listings. Try facebook, there are groups for people looking for roommates in Denver if you want to broaden beyond college students. I have seen many many listings for very cheap splits, like a few 500 and under. I saw one yesterday priced at $380 and its a great way to meet new people having roommates. Yes most will probably be students but try some of the group listings on FB.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
You will probably need to physically move here first before anything will happen on the job front. But it's a lot easier to "make it" in Denver than most cities on the east coast or west coast. Make you sure you are well informed about what the cost of living is like here before getting too excited though-- housing prices in particular, both to rent and to own, are increasing rapidly.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 AM

18 posts, read 32,188 times
Go Meg. You'll love it, or if you don't, you'll move back east. But I encourage you to give it at least a year, and probably two, before deciding if you like it or not. The quality of life in Denver is amazing but you do need to get used to the different landscape (read: browner) and that's tougher for some than others. I mean, you're not moving to the deep Southwest - there are tons of trees and great green spaces. But it's gonna look different than CT.

My guess is Denver would be a good fit for you and you will always regret it if you don't go!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Greater Denver bans pit bulls and other AGGRESSIVE breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver