Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

66 posts, read 141,625 times

Advertisements

We currently live in OH but are moving to CO in Sept. for my husbands job after retiring from the AF. His job will be in Littleton near W County Line Rd/Southpark off of 470. We have elementary school age kids, 2 dogs and are looking for a 4 bedroom house to rent with a minimum of 2200 sq ft. Looking to spend about $2000 or less. We don't know much about the area therefore we want to rent for a year or two before we buy. Looking for somewhere that my husbands commute is about 35 min or less.

I've done a lot of research online about HR, Lone Tree, Centennial, SE Aurora, Parker and Castle Rock. Each has their pros and cons. We have a friend that lives in SE Aurora near 470 and Smoky Hill Rd. We considered this area but I'm concerned that the commute from there might be too far and the cost of the toll road to much. I've read all the issues with traffic getting in and out of Parker that I'm not sure of there either. Although HR is close you don't seem to get much house for your money. We really wanted to relocate to the Springs/Monument but the job ended up in Littleton.

Any info on the areas mentioned or the true commute times from those areas would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions as to where we might look I would love to hear that as well. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM

26,137 posts, read 48,790,090 times
You've named all the good spots, but my money is on the shortest commute, which is HR, noted for having four rec centers, etc.

Padmapper.com is a good source to find rentals, it pulls data from multiple sites and displays them on a map.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,096,449 times
Your best bet is to stay somewhere along the C-470 corridor. Everything west of I-25 is C-470 and non-toll road. Everything east of I-25 is E-470 and subject to tolls.

IMO you should take Parker and Castle Rock off your list (too far) and add the city of Littleton and unincorporated Jefferson county (which is roughly everything west of Platte Canyon Rd) to your list. Houses there will have Littleton addresses, but are not part of the city.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM

Mike, thanks for the info about padmapper.com I've been using it. And thanks davidv for you info on the 470 corridor. We have a lot of friends in CS and I was hoping to split the difference between work and friends. After speaking with one of my husbands soon to be coworkers, she also said that we should look closer in and the CR would be to far as would SE Aurora. I'll keep looking!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 AM

11,816 posts, read 34,308,748 times
I would keep to south of Belleview, then east of c-470 - west of Parker Road and south to Wildcat.

All of Highlands Ranch, parts of Centennial, most of Littleton (Arapahoe and Jefferson County) would be worth the search.

Welcome to Colorado.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM

310 posts, read 649,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie87 View Post
We have a lot of friends in CS and I was hoping to split the difference between work and friends.
Maybe consider the frequency of commuting to work versus the typical frequency of commuting to join up with friends. My hunch is that this analysis will put you much closer to work...but up to you decide.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:39 PM

32 posts, read 52,668 times
Marie, I am also moving from Ohio to Denver in September/October. However my situation is a little different. I am single, looking for a cheaper price to rent - $800 and below. Looking for areas with younger demographics, as I'm 25. Huge into outdoor activities, will be working in southern Littleton, and looking to stay within 30 minutes commute. Any advice? Thanks in advance

Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,814,960 times
OP, start with the area near your husband's work, and draw a circle out from there. It's a looooong way out from his work until you start reaching questionable areas.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Thought I'd post an update. We were luckly to finally find a great house to rent in HR until we get to know the area better. We'll be arriving in Sept. and can't wait. My kids will be attending Fox Creek Elementary so if anyone has any feedback on that specific school please let me know. Thanks......

Old 12-25-2011, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,433 times
Default Curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbound10 View Post
Marie, I am also moving from Ohio to Denver in September/October. However my situation is a little different. I am single, looking for a cheaper price to rent - $800 and below. Looking for areas with younger demographics, as I'm 25. Huge into outdoor activities, will be working in southern Littleton, and looking to stay within 30 minutes commute. Any advice? Thanks in advance
Southernbound... Where did you end up moving??? I will be moving in January and it's been a challenge narrowing a place down site unseen. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver