Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 PM

152 posts, read 392,367 times

Advertisements

Just got back from Dallas! Denver is super cool compared to Dallas. Highs there have been over 100 for almost 30 days straight. Denverites are complaining because it's been over 90 for 17 days straight! Highs in Dallas are expected to get into the 110's tomorrow with nighttime temperatures just below 90.

Are people here ever satisfied with the weather? In the winter it was the lack of snow, in spring it was the wind, in May it was the flooding, in June it was the dryness, in July it was the wetness, now in August it's the heat! Get a grip! The weather here is psychotic. Abnormal is normal here as far as the weather goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
It didn't like your link; here's what I think you were point to:
Denver Temperature Extremes (100 or -20)

It's interesting to see my memory isn't completely fictional... not yet anyway: . . .
Thanks for posting the correct link - that is the page I was trying to link to.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM

17 posts, read 40,149 times
I never set out to compare any part of the US to Denver in any way, I think I made it clear that I wasn't complaining about oppressive heat and humidity. What I was saying was since I am a transplant, most locals that grew up here say it was cooler then. My opinion is like most others, their childhood views are skewed compared to now. I will agree that Dallas is warmer, but that is no surprise!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputycorndog View Post
Compared to many parts of the southwest, it isn't too bad and considering how humid it is in another parts of the country we are fortunate. However, since moving here in 2006, I have always heard locals say how much cooler the summers were in the 80's and early part of the 90's. Is that true? Is it hotter now than it used to be or is poor memory from when they were younger?
I don't think so! The summer of 1981 was very hot. Most of the summers I've been here (since late summer 1980) have been hot. It seems there's always some record being set.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
I have to admit, folks here are pretty spoiled during the summer. Having spent 20 years in DC and 6 years in North/South Carolina, the folks here in Denver don't know what hot is.

True, it's been 90+ for something like 19 days in a row. But it's so friggn' dry, it actually feels quite nice. All 4 windows down and I'm quite comfortable.

Anybody who ever lived on the east coast I'm sure doesn't miss the humidity. Try being in South Carolina in early August. 101 degrees and 80% humidity. Yuck!

matter of fact, just for fun, I just google searched Columbia, SC's weather for today. 99 degrees with 78% humidity. LOL!!!

http://www.wunderground.com/US/SC/Columbia.html

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Compared to the yucky muggy crap of the eastern US, the summers in Colorado are downright comfortable. The high temperature is generally a few degrees hotter in Grand Junction than the high temp in a muggy place like Virginia Beach, but with much drier air, I've been alot more comfortable during summer in Colorado than I was in Virginia. I absolutely hated summer on the Virginia coast.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I saw the forecast for Dallas said a high of 111 and low of 90 for either today or tomorrow Dallas must be about the most miserable place to be in Summer. I lived in San Antonio for a couple years and for some reason, Dallas tends to be hotter than SA.
All of Texas is miserable in the summer. Extremely hot and bone dry. Evidently all the people moving there must like the heat. It's far worse than Arizona because of the humidity. Dallas and Austin are actually usually HOTTER than Phoenix and have much higher humidity which makes it consistently feel like 110+.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
....but with much drier air, I've been alot more comfortable during summer in Colorado than I was in Virginia. I absolutely hated summer on the Virginia coast.
Ditto, in spades. I hated the mugginess in the DC suburbs of VA in Fairfax County; it's so much better here with the dry air.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
The streak of 90º days is supposed to end today, with the forecast high in the mid-80's. We've had 19 days in a row of 90º+ days, the second longest streak on record. The record, 24 days, was set in 2008.

The forecast for this afternoon and evening again includes the chance of heavy rains/thunderstorms, with flash flood warnings for some areas.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
suzco wrote:
The streak of 90º days is supposed to end today, with the forecast high in the mid-80's. We've had 19 days in a row of 90º+ days, the second longest streak on record. The record, 24 days, was set in 2008.
For the sake of comparison and to show how relatively mild Denver actually is, here in Grand Junction we also set the consecutive days of 90(+) record in 2008. 52 days in a row broke the old record of 51 set way back in 1901. However, so far this year, there has been a TOTAL of just 35 days of 90 degrees or more, with the longest streak being a mere 8 days in a row.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-02-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver