Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times

Advertisements

Ah, now if your husband's SSN is somehow "tagged" with the info that he never registered, that could explain why he is running into issues when many others of us (who presumably have registered) haven't. That is a slightly different scenario than just Joe Transplant (whose SSN is NOT tagged) walking into a CO DMV and being asked for the standard doc's.

Anyway, good luck. I would still be quite surprised if that absolutely prevents your hubby from acquiring a CO DL, but can't say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aad1424 View Post
It actually is the law to register in all 50 states, but there are 38 states that use it as a requirement to receive financial aid, attain federal/state job, and get a driver license.
Where do you get that information from? I can find no evidence of any state that requires Selective Service registration as a condition of getting a Drivers License. The closest thing I can find is a Federal Law that requires DMVs to provide information about drivers license applicants to Selective Service.

Quote:
My only concern remains that they require your social security number when you apply for a CO driver license and I'm assuming that when they run his SSN, the system will pop up that he never registered.
That makes no sense. Selective Service and Social Security are totally different agencies. Social Security would have no information as to weather or not someone is registered with Selective Service or not. Likewise the Selective Service System would have no information about Social Security.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 13,644 times
From sss.gov:

Colorado: Requires statement of compliance from male students born after Dec. 31, 1959, before they are allowed to enroll at a state supported college or university. Gov. Dick Lamm allowed the bill to become law in 1987. On Aug. 8, 2001, a Colorado law became effective requiring men applying for a state driver's license to be registered with Selective Service. Gov. Bill Owens signed the bill on May 30, 2001.

I am aware that Social Security and the Selective Service System are two different agencies, however when you go on on sss.gov, you can check a registration and the information they ask for is last name, social security number, and birthdate. Also from sss.gov:

LAWS LINKING SSS REGISTRATION TO STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE APPLICATIONS

Federal law (50 U.S.C. App. 451 et seq.) requires virtually all male U.S. citizens, as well as immigrant men residing in the U.S., to register with the Selective Service System (SSS) when reaching age 18. In an effort to ensure compliance among young men, many states have enacted legislation which links SSS registration with the process of applying for a driver's license or state identification card. As a result of such legislation, in May 2002, the state of Delaware, which enacted driver's license legislation in 2000, became the first state to reach nearly 100 percent registration compliance since the Agency began compiling this data. In that same year, seven other states increased their compliance rates by 3 percent or more after enacting similar driver's license legislation.

Maintaining a high compliance rate is of concern to officials because it means that any future draft instituted by Congress and the President in a national emergency would be fair and equitable. Also, men who fail to register with Selective Service are not eligible for certain programs and benefits that the Congress and 41 state and territorial legislatures and the District of Columbia have linked to registration. They include student loans and grants for college, most government jobs, and job training. Additionally, immigrant men residing in the U.S. who fail to register when they are at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 years old, may be denied U.S. citizenship by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Description of Typical State Driver’s License Legislation

These laws are simple and inexpensive to implement. They instruct the state’s Department of Public Safety or Motor Vehicles to include a consent statement on all applications or renewals for driver’s permits, licenses, and identification cards. The statement tells the applicant that by submitting the application he is consenting to his registration with the SSS, if so required by Federal law. Females are not required to register with SSS under current law. Men 26 years of age or beyond are too old to register.

Transmission of applicant data to the SSS is accomplished electronically through an existing arrangement each state has with the data sharing system of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVAnet) at no extra cost to the state.

Status of State Driver’s License Legislation

As of June 15, 2011, 38 states, 3 territories, and the District of Columbia have enacted driver's license laws supporting SSS registration. They are: (1) Enacted and Implemented - Alabama, Alaska (Permanent Fund only), Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia; (2) Enacted But Not Yet Implemented - Maine and Maryland.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
From sss.gov:

Colorado: Requires statement of compliance from male students born after Dec. 31, 1959, before they are allowed to enroll at a state supported college or university. Gov. Dick Lamm allowed the bill to become law in 1987. On Aug. 8, 2001, a Colorado law became effective requiring men applying for a state driver's license to be registered with Selective Service. Gov. Bill Owens signed the bill on May 30, 2001.
Thank you for the information. Thats exactly the information I had already found. First a law supporting Selective Service does not translate to you will be denied a drivers license if you haven't registered. Here is the exact law that Gov. Owens signed on May 30, 2001. I've highlighted the reasons I don't believe it applies to your husband.

Quote:
SECTION 1. 42-2-107, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SUBSECTION to read:

42-2-107. Application for license or instruction permit - anatomical gifts - donations to organ and tissue donation awareness fund - legislative declaration - repeal. (2.5) (a) Any male United States citizen or immigrant who applies for an instruction permit or a driver's license or a renewal of any such permit or license and who is at least eighteen years of age but less than twenty-six years of age shall be registered in compliance with the requirements of section 3 of the "Military Selective Service Act", 50 U.S.C. App. sec. 453, as amended.

(b) The department shall forward in an electronic format the necessary personal information of the applicants identified in paragraph (a) of this subsection (2.5) to the selective service system. The applicant's submission of an application shall serve as an indication that the applicant either has already registered with the selective service system or that he is authorizing the department to forward to the selective service system the necessary information for such registration. The department shall notify the applicant that his submission of an application constitutes consent to registration with the selective service system, if so required by federal law.
Your husband will not be less then 26 years when he applies for a CO license, so this particular law doesn't apply to him. But if I'm wrong, and it does apply, it still not going to prevent him from getting a CO drivers license.

It simply says that the applicant has already registered or he is authorizing the DMV to forward his info to Selective Service. All your husband has to do is agree to let them forward his info to Selective Service and he gets the license. It's just a bit of fine print in the application.

So you have nothing to worry about. Your husband absolutlly will be able to get a CO drivers license.

Session Laws of Colorado 2001 - Chapter 195

Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM

166 posts, read 432,644 times
My son had to prove selective service registration when he enrolled at Front Range last fall. I'm guessing because he did not yet have a CO drivers license?

Old 08-05-2011, 07:14 PM

531 posts, read 1,145,774 times
Thanks to the above, I now know why I was automatically registered for the selective service without my parents or myself submitting anything. I had a driver's license.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I'm too old to have to register for SS. But if I still had to, knowing what I know now about this once fine country..........well, I am getting on a life raft headed toward North Korea.

So, I would hold him in higher esteem if he purposely DID NOT register.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,395 times
Default Selective service

If I have my learner permit I automatically register with the selective service?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinespinal01 View Post
If I have my learner permit I automatically register with the selective service?
You will not be registered until you turn 18.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
He should just go ahead and register. What's the issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: