Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 10,352 times

Advertisements

I am in need of some guidance as I start to make my transition to Denver. Both my fiance & I work for major airlines and will be working at DIA. I have researched numerous areas in and around Denver and need some help deciding on a general area to reside.

We have a 4 year old son who will need a great school district.

We want to stay within 40 mins max commute to DIA, the closer the better.

We would like a home with a safe & stable neighborhood.

We would like to make sure we are close to amenities such as, Grocery stores, shopping, gas, etc..

I have been told to look at Thorton, Brighton, & possibly Broomfield.

We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom, 2+ bath, with a basement. Does not need to be BRAND new but something decent that doesnt need much work.

Would like thoughts, comments, concerns on these areas as well as if someone can provide any new ideas that I might have overlooked.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM

118 posts, read 403,329 times
Lots of DIA employees in Reunion. It's certainly an easy commute...you can even take the bus if you want.

There's shopping a few minutes north in Brighton on Prairie Center Parkway (Home Depot, Target, Kohls), ~15mins south-then-west at Northfield, and ~15mins south at around I-70 and Tower. A King Soopers is going up at 104th and Chambers, so groceries will finally be conveniently close.

I don't know anything about the schools, but I've heard no real complaints other than how expensive the day care/preschool is.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:30 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,108,830 times
Broomfield is too far of a commute. I work at DIA with someone from Thornton and it takes her about 40 minutes and it is all stop-and-go (no highway). I think your best bet is Brighton, it is very rural and affordable. They have a nice lake up there too. If you want something more urban check out the Stapleton neighborhood of Denver or Commerce City.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 40,771 times
Bit surprised you haven't considered Stapleton, which at first glance at your critera seems like it would be an excellent fit for you. It's a large redevelopment project on the site of the old Denver airport, with new construction builds and resales. Commute would be 15-20 minutes, and the area will also eventually get a light rail stop in 2016 that will go from Stapleton to DIA in about 15 minutes. They have a pretty broad price range of homes, from $150,000-$1 million, and there are lots of families with kids, with three elementary schools that are supposed to be excellent (though that last bit is all hearsay). It's also a very cohesive neighborhood, from what I've heard. Yards can be on the small side, but there are tons of parks, and lots of community amenities.

Stapleton can be a bit of a lightning rod around these forums, but certainly worth a look at least, if you haven't considered it.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 11,991 times
I second the vote for Stapleton. It's 20 easy minutes to the airport through almost no traffic. The schools are great and it's a terrific neighborhood.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 AM

6 posts, read 14,027 times
I just moved to Colorado from San Antonio, we looked for a little over a month. I have an 8 year old and 4 year old. If you are looking for a nice area, I would look at Tallyns Reach in Aurora. It is quiet, but close to alot of good shopping and entertainment. Not to mention one of the best school districts in the US (Cherry Creek School District.) Tallyns Reach is a huge subdivision, depending if you are looking to rent or buy a house. Houses range from $200k-$1million. All of the houses are great. The commute to the Air Port is straight up E470 and is approximatley 20 mins at the most. Aurora catches a rap sometimes for being a bad area, but trust me not this area. I work with three cops in this area and they will tell you it is not bad in the Tallyn reach area. You can leave your windows and doors unlocked here.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 PM

136 posts, read 460,610 times
During your search, keep in mind that E-470 is one of the most expensive toll roads in the country. If you are the least bit budget minded, it will drive you crazy to pay $8+ per DAY, round trip from southeast Aurora.

I would recommend Reunion. Much closer to DIA w/out the tolls, very family oriented, nice parks, playgrounds, very safe, new construction etc. They are building a huge King-Soopers (groceries), nearby off 104th and chambers, plus you have the Super-Target anchored shopping center up the road at Prairie Center 10 mins away.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM

143 posts, read 275,337 times
Reunion, Stapleton, Brighton.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,394,935 times
If you work for a major airline then I would bet that you get a discount or a free bus pass to the airport. You should check and see. For if that is the case then you should consider places to live that would be convenient to the nearest stop for the SkyRide Service

http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRide_SubHome.shtml

Livecontent

Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM

42 posts, read 89,620 times
I recommend Brighton. It is the most Affordable community that is close and has good amenities with decent housing options. It also is convenient for Tolls, if you enter the toll way via Interstate 76, you will only have to pay 1 toll station. There is also Ft. Lupton just 10mins North of Brighton. If you have some cha-ching $$$ or don't mind high house payments, Stapleton is a good development worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver