Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 10,667 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I work in the sports broadcasting field and while I love what I do, I live in THE most competitive sports broadcasting market in the country. Since I am just starting in the industry, my options are severely limited as I have virtually no seniority over the other, more established tv crew personnel (and as a freelance worker, there is no guaranteed, set schedule for work). At 28 years old, you can't really wait for things to pan out while still living with your parents, so I have been looking around to find cities that have a sports team in each of the big 4 major sports leagues so as to increase the potential for work, and Denver really caught my eye.

I am from Long Island, New York. While I am definitely used to the unique blend of suburban living combined with the close proximity to Manhattan, I am not at all like the 24-hour party seeker attitude that has become synonymous with New York transplants. I have a love/hate relationship with this city. While I definitely enjoy the restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and ease of access to everything here, i do NOT enjoy the traffic, the people, the pollution, and the cost of living. I am someone who can take it or leave it here, but the cons far outweigh the pros for me; especially paying upwards of $1,500+/month for any kind of suitable 1br apartment (and that's in not-so-great neighborhoods).

I'd like to keep things at or around $1000/month for a 1br (apartment building/townhouse/etc) in a clean, safe neighborhood with nice people (preferably around my age; late 20's/early 30's). Definitely would like to be within a 20 minute drive to the sports arenas and complexes (half-hour tops). I'm not really looking for crazy, nonstop nightlife and/or party central, but having the option of hit a fairly vibrant spot on the weekend would be nice. I LOVE to eat, enjoy the outdoors (would like a nice bike trail nearby), and would like to be close to museums/culturally stimulating activities if at all possible. I don't mind the weather, I don't mind some traffic, I don't mind a slightly urban surrounding. Being from the suburbs, though, I actually don't mind the cookie-cutter atmosphere and could be comfortable in that kind of setting as well. However, I'd like to avoid areas heavily populated by children/families and I don't need to worry about being in an area with good schools (it's just me).

I've been doing some preliminary research and have been told to avoid most towns north of the city, as well as specific sections of the metro area itself. I also wanted to know what locals have to say about Baker, Cherry Creek, Cheesman Park, Speer, and other towns in that particular area of the city. But if you guys could give me a general idea of the suburbs/area/towns that would be most fitting for me to be searching in based on all of the above, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I think you'll find a ton of great places to live in areas near downtown and that you'd greatly enjoy Denver. Look for rentals on padmapper.com which pulls info from many websites.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:08 PM

40 posts, read 94,505 times
I'm just preparing to move to Denver myself, so I can't comment on the commute times. But, in my recent travels, I liked the Belmar area of Lakewood and surprised myself by liking some of the places in the DTC. I'd be curious to see the local's input on DTC. Previous posts didn't make me think there would be much to do, or any young folk, but I saw lots of people in my age bracket (early 30's) hanging around.

Plus, I didn't want your post to get post to get lost, because locals will be so much better with info than I am...

Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 17,243 times
Hey there, unfortunately I'm not in Denver yet but I just wanted to say good luck! My boyfriend and I are making the move out next month (he's lives in Sound Beach LI). We explored DTC but it was just too expensive for what you got but from what I hear it's where the younger up and coming crowd is. When we visited back in November a couple of the guys (around our age 26-31) we were with lived there and said it was great. We're lucky to have a local friend to check out places for us a bit before the move but from what I see if you have a car no need to pay the premium to live within walking distance to some bars and decent restaurants although we wanted to be closer to sports too since we are BIG into going to games - we just put a deposit down on our apartment at thebreakersresort.com - everyone says its great so hopefully it is

Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
Look at The District...it's off of I25 & Hampden.
It has it all...retail, a few restaurants on site, etc. Close to the highway, and it's really a cool..like it's own downtown loft like place...google it!! I would think you would love it!!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 PM

33 posts, read 125,572 times
Be prepared to be extremely disappointed in the food here, coming from NY. Outdoor/recreational activities make up for it somewhat though.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM

eh, the food issue isn't TOO big of a deal. i lived in boston for two years. the food was SO terrible there, it pretty much forced me to hone my cooking skills sharply in order to have a good meal, so all i really need is a good supermarket (although at the very least, a handful of decent restaurants would be nice).

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

33 posts, read 125,572 times
There's plenty of decent-to-good restaurants for sure. And there's several fine-dining places (Ruth Chris, Morton's, The Keg) that are going to be consisently good everywhere you go. Just nothing that's very unique or standout.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM

oh, that's fine. i don't eat seafood so all the best restaurants in boston did not appeal to me, which was kind of a waste. steak, however, i cannot get enough of. if i can get a consistent steakhouse or two coupled with a few hidden gems of other, different cuisine (and a diner other than denny's), i'll be just fine. and again, i predominantly cook my own meals anyway, so i'm really more concerned about getting good, fresh groceries to be honest lol.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM

157 posts, read 322,332 times
Jimm - stick to downtown. given you're age and desire to be around sports venues, good restaurants, etc., I would not recommend anywhere else. The neighborhoods you mentioned are nice, if you're over 40 and/or have kids, but not for a 28 y.o. There are so many young late-20 somethings living in the LoDo area you're think you're in heaven (actually, a mile closer than most). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver