Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

sweettea, any city pro-actively building a light rail system and has invested in it's downtown area like Denver has done surely fits my idea of what it means to be progressive in this day and age.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Yeah, maybe. Maybe I'm just discouraged. Atlanta has a subway system too...but that doesn't necessarily translate into what I'd call progress! But I'll leave it at that...
Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM

88 posts, read 198,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Yeah, maybe. Maybe I'm just discouraged. Atlanta has a subway system too...but that doesn't necessarily translate into what I'd call progress! But I'll leave it at that...
Thanks!
I recently moved back to Denver after living in Atlanta for the past five years. I can tell you that Denver really has it together in terms of smart planning for growth. It is night and day different from Atlanta that seems to give a building permit to anyone with no regard to how the traffic will be impacted or open space, sidewalks, light rail, bike lanes/paths etc.

The Denver downtown development in just the past five years I have been away is just amazing in my opinion. They actually have a white water rafting area downtown next to the REI building. There are dog parks, large open space and bike lanes/paths everywhere downtown as well. It really effects the vibe and livability of the city. I would compare it to the piedmont park area except on a massive scale. There are people/families out and about everywhere.

Atlanta has some wonderful pockets of development however they fall short in comparison to Denver and the way the city has incorporated all of the developments so that they work together. I can actually park my car for days at a time here and get around town on my bike. Oh and when my friend visited last week he was able to rent a bike at one of the 50 plus bcycle rental stations and we rode to the Rockies game from the cherry creek area...it only took 20 minutes to the stadium downtown. Every city should have these bike rental stations!

Last edited by pacnwbound; 08-22-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks, pacnwbound. Good to hear this from another Atlantan. Where did you live in ATL? Really appreciate your thoughts! Love to hear about the dog parks too!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM

88 posts, read 198,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Thanks, pacnwbound. Good to hear this from another Atlantan. Where did you live in ATL? Really appreciate your thoughts! Love to hear about the dog parks too!
I lived in Virginia Highland. Incidentally the neighborhood I would most compare many parts of Denver to. For example, Wash Park and the Capital Hill areas to name a couple.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Interesting...I may PM you for more specifics so I don't bore this thread to death with details! but would love to know more about your reasons for moving and other differences you've found since being there. Love VA/HI but dont get there much...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 AM

182 posts, read 328,146 times
If you are getting at conservative vs. liberal you will notice this the most in the suburbs south of Denver like Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Parker... There is a hugely different vibe to the Downtown area, Stapleton and Capitol Hill areas. Those areas are much more diverse, the south suburbs are not very diverse. I was taking a photography class downtown during the Dem Convention and it had such a cool energy down there during that time and still does but not quite the same. I think Denver does a pretty good job though of thinking ahead. Our light rail system is expanding and will eventually head out to airport, builders are starting to look at different concepts with communities and housing, the arts/culture is often re-inventing itself with new buildings, new exhibits, new events around the city.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Luvs2Trvl. I've read a lot about Wash Park/Cheeseman Park. Are these areas mostly for 20-30somethings or are there also families with older kids there too? I want to be somewhere where my 10 and 12 year olds can play with friends outside...walk to each others houses...and not just where people have strollers! Would love thoughts on these urban neighborhoods for families with older kids. Thanks everyone! HOping to come out in Oct to scout!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 PM

126 posts, read 145,522 times
I was raised in Denver but moved to the south for several years. Having experienced both, Denver is leaps and bounds more tolerant! It's independent in mind and spirit. And very tolerant and accepting of all (I'm talking about Denver here...not the 'burbs). BUT - people in Denver are NOT friendly! I loved the "hey neighbor" attitude of the south. Denverites are very aloof and hard to get to know. It's a trade off really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver