Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 PM

11 posts, read 41,295 times

Advertisements

And no, I am not referring to a little outdoor farmers markets held once a week. Not that those are bad, but YDFM is enormous with tons of fresh produce, tons of fresh fish, a big bakery, a good selection of meat, every spice known to man, assorted other ethnic specialties. All excellent quality and all very cheap. Basically, if you've never been there, it is all the best aspects of a dozen great local shops (produce, fish, bakery, etc) at a Walmart price because they are so big.

I have been here for about three weeks now and I love it here, though I didn't realize that I had any addictions until recently.

Atlanta has King Soopers (only its called Kroger) I am guessing Safeway is the same thing. Whole foods and Sunflower are both nice, but expensive (Trader Joes would wreck those two).

Maybe you know of something? Any ethnic supermarkets? Anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Try the Cherry Creek Farmer's Market in the parking lot on the University side, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
A thousand miles from any ocean it won't be easy finding fresh fish except for local varieties or farm raised. I'm sure that somewhere in Denver there are fresh fish from ocean sources, but finding them at a farmer's market seems a really long shot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Ok, so how about just the best store/supermarket for seafood? Again, not really looking for a little farmers market, but a physical store (open 7 days, all year long, etc)

Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM

36 posts, read 72,958 times
H-Mart is a large Asain supermarket that seems to have a good selection. They're in Aurora:

h-mart - Google Search

Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Default Answer to my own question

Seafood Landing in the highlands. Best quality fish in the city.

Tried sunflower, whole foods, costco, h-mart, pacific marketplace (broomfield), the one in sakura square.

Seafood landing is cheaper than places like whole foods and tastes fresher than all of them put together. Cannot thank these guys enough for their existence. It seems like I won't have to skip town after all!!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
I have been to that market (family in Atlanta), and there is NOTHING that compares!! H-mart is a great place but with an Asian focus rather than international.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
You are not going to find the larger authentic farmer markets and seafood markets in Denver. We had one time a outdoor wholesale produce market, called Denargo Market, that was in the Platte Valley. There were wholesalers that were open to the public along the appropriately named, Market Street--that is now all gone.

The best places to find that some kind of real farmers markets are in near the field and most would be North of Denver because that is the area that is more fertile for truck farms. In the summer, you can find many near Brighton and Platteville. There were many more in areas, nearer the city, in areas just north of the city in Adams County, near Welby and Derby, up 287, North on Washington--much has disappear with development. However, you can still find remnants of small growers. There are few near my house and I get produce so fresh that they are still field warm and dirt encrusted. There are some markets opened in the summer on West 44th, past Kipling, much less than the past, but there are some still there.

Obviously fish is problematic in this area. I think the real good choice of fish at more reasonable values are in the Asian Markets, especially the Laotian and Vietnamese Markets on Federal, South of Alameda. That is our authentic Asian area. The stores have the odorous ambiance of real markets. There is also an abundance of fresh inexpensive produce. There is good values in the Korean area in Aurora. There is a variety of Asian markets in the old city center of Westminster. There is big Asian Market located on West 120 in Broomfield. I do want to also include the Japanese Market, downtown, at Sakura Square.

Good variety of inexpensive produce and fresh fish are also located at the Hispanic Markets, especially in the Norhwest metro area.

The big point that I want to make is that if you want the nearest experience of markets with authentic ethnic foods with with fresh products that are inexpensive then shop where the poor shop. That is the real values not the over priced and over hyped expensive markets that cater to the idle rich or the yuppified gentry. However, there are some good values in produce in Sunflower Market but much of the other products are overpriced.

Many people want their food coming from clean and shining new buildings in new areas. They avoid the old and the odorous. They pay higher prices in their "Disneyland" markets and accept many products that are fake authentic ethnic. They want to avoid "those people" in "those" market that are not of their "class". So, they miss out of the aromas, ambiance, authenticity of that which is actually more real and natural than the questionable and pricey in their protected enclaves.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-23-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
The place he's talking about is not an outdoor farmer's market. It's a huge international market. Think H-Mart in Aurora, but maybe 2x the size and with authentic foods from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver