Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax6272 View Post
Model for the country? As in, a model for bankruptcy? America doesn't have 1 billion dollars. America is bankrupt. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?
But investing in Infastrature is a smart thing to do , its one of the few things you should increase spending on and not cut. Unfortnatly the US is one of a few countries not investing in Infastrature during the past recession. Japan is spending billions on upgrading and expanding its huge highway network and building New Railway lines , Australia and Canada are spending at least 30 Billion per state on New or upgraded Roads , Rails , ports by 2030 , and then you have the US we seem to thinking cutting spending on Infrastructure is the right thing to do. It pushes the problem of our crumbling infastrature down the road and makes our country less competitive on the Global Market. We have the Worlds Largest Highway and Railway network yet there both in terrible shape , bridges are starting to collapse and on in the Northeast were behind on Billions in repairs. Its all hurting the economy , employees lose time on the roads or public transit , then in turn they can't do there work and we lose our advantage. I'm tired of people saying we don't have $$$ , its Infrastructure not investing in it is a crime......to the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM

152 posts, read 392,367 times
Excellent! I am glad that Denver is doing something that will finally set it apart from other cities. Hopefully it won't be shoddy work that's way over budget. I just don't understand why it takes so long to do these projects!

You have the funds! Get your approval from the Federal Transit Administration and CDOT and start putting rail in already!

I also don't understand why all the existing rail lines go to the southern suburbs! The northern metro area has many super poor areas, like Thornton and Commerce City, where people probably rely on public transit more. Hopefully they will get a line at some point!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
If I own a small, local business, but the margin is very tight and my wages reflect that (we pay more than minimum wage for some degree of specialty, but certainly not much), then does it not help me tremendously to have a wider pool of potentially GOOD employees due to public transportation? Particularly with high gas prices, rising rents and a recession in progress?

Our transit system has certainly contributed to improved access downtown, where we have numerous transit hubs across our 16th St axis. I see it every day. Trains are packed when school is in session (Auraria is a major point access), and both buses and trains frequently empty and fill from Union Station down to Civic Center station.

There is a public benefit.

Now, I understand complaints from those that are perhaps on the fringes of RTD's service area that feel that are not adequately served but are paying to support the system. Here's my thought. If you DO have access to it, use it sometimes. Try something different. Don't think just in terms of time efficiency...think in terms of what you can get done while you're riding...reading, work, relaxing, meeting new people. And if you DON'T have access, keep bucking for it. Yes, you are paying for it, and whether it DIRECTLY improves your quality of life or even just those around you, it will improve your neighborhood tremendously.

That said, one of the hazards of buying on the fringes of town is that services tend to become more limited in exchange for cheaper housing, more land, newer development, etc...There will always be this kind of trade off...but if you engage with your community, then perhaps you can either a) bring about the end of your subsidizing of services you disapprove of or do not use (assuming your neighbors agree with you about the value of such services), or b) bring more of those services in to your neighborhood.

No, it's not easy...it never is. That's part of why some of us are quite excited by this influx of dollars for this. Transit...particularly fixed transit, can provide great opportunities for infill development along major corridors. Believe it or not, creating density around transitways actually improves the chances of less dense areas nearby becoming more accessible and affordable (at the cost of being slightly further away.) It's hard to have it both ways...be in a low density neighborhood but reap the benefits of high density transit, but there are definitely points in the curve that can offer tremendous overall benefit. This kind of money can set up Denver in the future to do more with less, even in spite of our current financial difficulties.

No, the money does not come out of thin air, and in the grand scheme we ARE paying for it, perhaps at great cost...but it gives us an opportunity to be better positioned for success (regardless of our politics) than many other cities once we finally begin rising out of this recession.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 AM

431 posts, read 982,420 times
The line to DIA is nice, but how do I get to it from Thornton?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
The line to DIA is nice, but how do I get to it from Thornton?

Hm, how about take an express bus to Union Station. Should take about 20 min. Then take the train to DIA. About 30 min. Do you seriously think that every single house in the Metro Area should have a rapid transit station at the front door. Thats not the way it works anywhere.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM

431 posts, read 982,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Hm, how about take an express bus to Union Station. Should take about 20 min. Then take the train to DIA. About 30 min. Do you seriously think that every single house in the Metro Area should have a rapid transit station at the front door. Thats not the way it works anywhere.
No, I was asking a serious question. If I can take a bus downtown and then hop on the metro to DIA I'm a happy camper I just don't want to have to drive to the express bus. I'll have to look into bus routes by me, though I have yet to see a city bus anywhere along Thornton Pkwy.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
No, I was asking a serious question. If I can take a bus downtown and then hop on the metro to DIA I'm a happy camper I just don't want to have to drive to the express bus. I'll have to look into bus routes by me, though I have yet to see a city bus anywhere along Thornton Pkwy.
Can't tell from your post if you know:

The AA sky ride route to DIA travels along 104th ave (just several blocks north of Thornton Pkwy-not so far).

There is no rail service to DIA from anywhere - that line is planned, not built yet.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Can't tell from your post if you know:

The AA sky ride route to DIA travels along 104th ave (just several blocks north of Thornton Pkwy-not so far).

There is no rail service to DIA from anywhere - that line is planned, not built yet.

It's more than planned, it's under construction. I don't understand why it takes so long though. I think four years to complete, and I thought it used existing rail lines? I doubt if it took one year to complete Pena Blvd!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's more than planned, it's under construction. I don't understand why it takes so long though. I think four years to complete, and I thought it used existing rail lines? I doubt if it took one year to complete Pena Blvd!
Yes, that's true - they actually broke ground for the project about a year ago, if I remember correctly. The last projection I heard for completion date is January 2016.

Last edited by suzco; 09-08-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It uses existing rail ROW for a portion of the route, but all new line. As for the duration of the construction schedule you've got site preparation (such as utility relocation, demolition, grading, etc), construction of infrastructure support (new drainage, etc.), bridges, rail bedding, rails, station construction, grade crossings, etc.

Four years sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver