Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:44 AM

261 posts, read 705,050 times

Advertisements

Those of you who don't like it should move down here to Florida, where our wonderful governor shot down high speed rail. We got drug testing for welfare recipients instead. In fact, you can buy our house so we can hurry up and move back to Denver! So jealous of you smart, progressive bastids right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 AM

431 posts, read 982,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Those of you who don't like it should move down here to Florida, where our wonderful governor shot down high speed rail. We got drug testing for welfare recipients instead. In fact, you can buy our house so we can hurry up and move back to Denver! So jealous of you smart, progressive bastids right now!
I grew up and went to school in FL, then moved to NC for 3 years and now just moved to Denver. Couldn't be happier

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
They have talking about that project at 19th and Chestnut( one of Dana Crawford's brainchild projects) since 2002..so far I have not seen any evidence of them pulling the trigger on that. All those people who bought lofts Like Kerouac, Water Tower Ect. have been anxiously waiting. Hope it actually happens
It's not a Dana Crawford project (is she even in the development business anymore asides from the Union Station project?), it is one by the Nichols Partnership (developers of The Spire in DT and Clayton Lane in Cherry Creek). It is going before the Denver Planning Board next week. Here's a pretty picture:

Source

Nichols first proposed this project back in 2007, but for several reasons (the collapse of the housing market, the Global Financial Crisis, and E/W Partners having the exclusive right to build all residential units in the CPV until 2010 or so) it took awhile to get to this stage. Hopefully it's now smooth sailing.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It's not a Dana Crawford project (is she even in the development business anymore asides from the Union Station project?), it is one by the Nichols Partnership (developers of The Spire in DT and Clayton Lane in Cherry Creek). It is going before the Denver Planning Board next week. Here's a pretty picture:

Source

Nichols first proposed this project back in 2007, but for several reasons (the collapse of the housing market, the Global Financial Crisis, and E/W Partners having the exclusive right to build all residential units in the CPV until 2010 or so) it took awhile to get to this stage. Hopefully it's now smooth sailing.
This is great news..dealt with East/West myself on the Glasshouse project ..I was looking at the Ajax and Smuggler lofts in their initial phases
so guess it's been a while..Having lived two blocks from the Clayton Lane project before and after I am aware of Nichols..they did a fantastic job..now if CL could keep the doors open on a decent steakhouse..thanks for this info..just goes to show how out of the loop I am these days..
Thanks for the updates..

Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Not exactly part of Fast Tracs but it will certainly be a beautiful anchor whom ever get's the bid.
For those one or two people who haven't heard yet.. Developers present two views of future for Denver Union Station - The Denver Post
This exemplifies why RTD is one of the worst, most useless, wasteful transit systems in the country. They have $17 million to transform Union Station from from a train station into a "boutique" hotel. In the process forcing Amtrak passengers, who have been using that waiting-room for over 130 years, out into the cold to wait for their trains outdoors. Just so that Denver hipsters can enjoy another "boutique" hotel in LoDo. Like Denver doesn't have enough of that crap already.

Meanwhile RTD has no money to build parking garages at light rail stations, on the Southwest line. So that residents of the southwest metro area could have a place to park and catch their trains, after RTD finishes dismantling all of the bus routes in that part of town. Which of course is necessary, because they can't afford to provide bus service, because they are spending so much money developing "boutique" hotels.

RIP Denver Union Station 1881-2011

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-04-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 03:20 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
^Well, if you would read the proposals you'd realize that the intent behind both proposals is to maintain the Great Hall for transit users while activating it with other uses. Both proposals provide for new ticketing, check-in, and support spaces for Amtrak, as well as a separate marshaling area for Amtrak passengers just off of the Great Hall.

As well as spaces for RTD, transit security offices, DIA/TSA ticketing and check-in facilities for the East Line, restrooms for transit users, shops for transit users and Denver residents, etc.

I realize that you don't live in Denver, but please try and do some proper research before offering your opinion.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
^Well, if you would read the proposals you'd realize that the intent behind both proposals is to maintain the Great Hall for transit users while activating it with other uses. Both proposals provide for new ticketing, check-in, and support spaces for Amtrak, as well as a separate marshaling area for Amtrak passengers just off of the Great Hall.

As well as spaces for RTD, transit security offices, DIA/TSA ticketing and check-in facilities for the East Line, restrooms for transit users, shops for transit users and Denver residents, etc.

I realize that you don't live in Denver, but please try and do some proper research before offering your opinion.
I'll ask the same of you. Please do some research before offering your opinion.

I've been reading all of the proposals for the Union Station redevelopment for sometime. None of them have the intent to main to maintain the Great Hall for transit users. The original proposal calls for the old Amtrak ticket counter to become the front desk for for a "boutique" hotel. The Great Hall would become the hotel lobby and bar. The other proposal calls for other non transit uses for these areas. RTD security office and the Amtrak ticket counter would be located just off the Great Hall. All other space for Amtrak and RTD trains would be located in the "Train Hall". Which is discribed as follows:

"The Train Hall allows passengers to move quickly from one destination to their next without the congestion and delays of older train stations.

Located west of the historic station, the structure will house eight hard rail tracks including AmTrak, RTD Northwest, two RTD Gold Line tracks, RTD North Metro, RTD East to Denver International Airport, and one undetermined track for the future.

Designed with functionality in mind, the train hall will be both easy to navigate and technologically advanced.

Navigation. Entrances encompassing stairs, elevators, escalators and wide walking paths inside and outside the hall make transitions between the platforms, public spaces and alternative modes of travel seamless.

Technology. The inside of the hall is completely clutter-free with lighting trays, power circuits, train arrival and departure announcements, advertisements and electric traction catenaries all suspended by technology trusses."

http://www.unionstationneighborhoodc...ail.aspx?id=23

Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
It is really interesting that we, in Denver, get a lecture from someone who does not live here and rants over the spending on Union Station and has no idea of the funding involved in this project.

Kaaboom writes:

"his exemplifies why RTD is one of the worst, most useless, wasteful transit systems in the country. They have $17 million to transform Union Station from from a train station into a "boutique" hotel. In the process forcing Amtrak passengers, who have been using that waiting-room for over 130 years, out into the cold to wait for their trains outdoors. Just so that Denver hipsters can enjoy another "boutique" hotel in LoDo. Like Denver doesn't have enough of that crap already.

Meanwhile RTD has no money to build parking garages at light rail stations, on the Southwest line. So that residents of the southwest metro area could have a place to park and catch their trains, after RTD finishes dismantling all of the bus routes in that part of town. Which of course is necessary, because they can't afford to provide bus service, because they are spending so much money developing "boutique" hotels"

This shows no research, no knowledge and a lack of ability to understand the full project. It just shows that someone has another agenda which is not helpful to any discussions and these outbursts are best ignored.

The Denver Union Project Authority is the agency responsible for the overall project. The funding comes from many sources but I want to make it clear that the funding from the Fastracks revenue is not and cannot be used to build a boutique hotel.

"RTD FasTracks Funds. RTD has made cash contributions towards the project costs from sales tax revenues derived from the sales tax approved by voters for the project. This revenue is limited to paying for the transit related portions of the project."

Pledged Revenue Report, February 2011
Denver Union Station

We who live here are very proud of our city. The Union Station project is bringing the best minds from all over the country to develop this very large and key project for Public Transportation in Denver. There will be problem; there will be missteps but there will be solution which will come out of respectful dialogue among many intelligent and experienced people from the public, governments, developers, contractors and engineers.

We do not need opinions from people whose only goal is to complain and tear down our resolve and our cooperative discussions and endeavors, who do not live here and have no stake in these projects.

For those who are viewing Denver from afar, understand that our region and our city is very capable, progressive and knows how to move forward with difficult projects. The people of Denver, the metro area and Colorado have been involved with many successful endeavors over many years. What we have found is that through the headaches and problems of many projects in this area--we do it right. That is why Denver is recognized nationally as a great place to live and a place that is moving proudly into the future.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-04-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'll ask the same of you. Please do some research before offering your opinion.

I've been reading all of the proposals for the Union Station redevelopment for sometime. None of them have the intent to main to maintain the Great Hall for transit users. The original proposal calls for the old Amtrak ticket counter to become the front desk for for a "boutique" hotel. The Great Hall would become the hotel lobby and bar. The other proposal calls for other non transit uses for these areas. RTD security office and the Amtrak ticket counter would be located just off the Great Hall. All other space for Amtrak and RTD trains would be located in the "Train Hall". Which is discribed as follows:

"The Train Hall allows passengers to move quickly from one destination to their next without the congestion and delays of older train stations.

Located west of the historic station, the structure will house eight hard rail tracks including AmTrak, RTD Northwest, two RTD Gold Line tracks, RTD North Metro, RTD East to Denver International Airport, and one undetermined track for the future.

Designed with functionality in mind, the train hall will be both easy to navigate and technologically advanced.

Navigation. Entrances encompassing stairs, elevators, escalators and wide walking paths inside and outside the hall make transitions between the platforms, public spaces and alternative modes of travel seamless.

Technology. The inside of the hall is completely clutter-free with lighting trays, power circuits, train arrival and departure announcements, advertisements and electric traction catenaries all suspended by technology trusses."

Union Station Neighborhood Co. | Denver, CO
Great information, except that I have read nothing so far regarding the Train Hall that negates the concept of keeping the Great Hall. Indeed, it was discussed on NPR today about how both proposals preserve the Great Hall. I am a voracious consumer of transit news and information (and a regular rider) and the tenor of your posts suggests strongly that RTD is beyond any redemption...an assertion I strongly disagree with. I think we have a great opportunity with Union Station, and everything I've read and heard up to now only encourages me more. We'll never be NY, Chicago, San Francisco, etc...but that's fine. We're Denver. We do trains. Have for a long time. And what we're gonna do is going to be pretty cool.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Great information, except that I have read nothing so far regarding the Train Hall that negates the concept of keeping the Great Hall. Indeed, it was discussed on NPR today about how both proposals preserve the Great Hall. I am a voracious consumer of transit news and information (and a regular rider) and the tenor of your posts suggests strongly that RTD is beyond any redemption...an assertion I strongly disagree with. I think we have a great opportunity with Union Station, and everything I've read and heard up to now only encourages me more. We'll never be NY, Chicago, San Francisco, etc...but that's fine. We're Denver. We do trains. Have for a long time. And what we're gonna do is going to be pretty cool.
It's not a question of preserving the Great Hall. The question is why are they throwing the train passengers out of it after a 130 years to turn to turn it into a hipster hotel? And how does spending $17 million to turn the Great Hall into a "boutique" hotel promote public transit? Which is what RTD is supposed to be doing.

Second, its questionable how much they really want to preserve anything. As you know full well, they have already demolished the historic tunnels under the tracks. Which could have continued to take passengers to at least ten different platforms to board that many trains.

Once they get done ripping out the hundred year old ticket counters, and replacing them with a hotel front desk, and a bar, and take out the benches and replace them with lobby and bar furniture it's sure not going to be the same place anyone familiar with it now, would recognize.

Denver Union Station: Farewell to the tunnel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver