U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,496 times

Advertisements

I right now live in San Jose, CA and want to move somewhere else but I can't decide between Denver, Salt Lake City, or Boulder? I want to know about the days the snow is on the ground, what is your opinion, where should I move, the lifestyle there, the skiing, quality of the mountain biking, the job market, quality of life, nightlife, etc. Or you can tell me that San Jose is better than those cities if you think so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM

13,807 posts, read 28,419,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Metropolis View Post
I right now live in San Jose, CA and want to move somewhere else but I can't decide between Denver, Salt Lake City, or Boulder? I want to know about the days the snow is on the ground, what is your opinion, where should I move, the lifestyle there, the skiing, quality of the mountain biking, the job market, quality of life, nightlife, etc. Or you can tell me that San Jose is better than those cities if you think so.
Last season, Denver had snow on the ground for 43 days, and snow in the shade for 81 days.

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ow-thread.html

Neither Denver or Boulder have skiing, major resorts are 1-2 hours away from each city.

Come visit to see if you'd like it.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 PM

11,686 posts, read 32,833,282 times
I move here from Sunnyvale. No snails. No rainy season. No bugs. No humidity. No traffic nightmares. I like here better.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 47,528 times
Born and raised in San Jose. I only miss San Jose for being relatively close to the ocean (though I still only went a few times a year), plus expeditions to Palo Alto, and games at Pac Bell. Other than that I have no regrets. As far as cities go, San Jose is probably one of the more boring large cities you will find. Denver has so much more going on - a thriving downtown, 4 major sports teams, and much better nightlife (plus the women are a lot more attractive - San Jose is like a barren wasteland for some odd reason).
Denver has skiing so close that it doesn't take rearranging your schedule and clearing up an entire day to get away.
And it's actually feasible to buy a house here!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:34 PM

24 posts, read 93,528 times
You are very lucky to able to choose a place before lining up a job. I have limited experience with SLC. But you may have a significant cultural adjustment moving from San Jose unless that is the reason you are moving away from it. I think that Boulder would be a better fit. it is built for people who enjoy biking and outdoor activities. There are bike trails all over the city with minimal intersections with car traffic. You can even take a bus to Eldora for skiing and get there in 30 minutes. There are many smaller companies in Boulder, and commuting to Denver is easy with RTD bus. It is partly a college town with all the positives and negatives that come with it. People there tend to be more active, healthier, and liberal-leaning. But the housing tends to be more expensive too.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM

11,686 posts, read 32,833,282 times
People should try to live near work. Better for your family, your health, the community and the environment.

I would not recommend living in Denver and working in Boulder or vice versa. Too much commuter traffic.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM

7,139 posts, read 10,437,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Metropolis View Post
Denver is one of the most snowiest cities in the US. It gets about 60" a year. Boulder is about the same, but add 90 mph wind to that. Salt Lake City has a only slightly more mild winter, then Colorado.

If your life revolves around going to church on Sunday morning, I recommend moving to SLC. Otherwise Colorado should have everything you are looking for.

Comparing San Jose to Denver. San Jose has perfect weather and clean air. Denver doesn't, but it does have everything else you are looking for.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM

17,190 posts, read 27,287,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If your life revolves around going to church on Sunday morning
One particular church. See The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM

360 posts, read 1,086,132 times
Hi, as a former Salt Laker, I really would rather recommend Denver over SLC.

Please see an older thread that I was following:

//www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...ml#post8303230

Of course I'd recommend anywhere in Colorado, but it just all depends on what you want to be close to. If you spend most of the winter skiing, just watch out for the traffic on I-70. If you like me, prefer walking the dog and bicycling, Denver is great for that. Lots of off-street bike trails and I live near Cherry Creek trail, and multiple city parks. This is probably one of the best cities in the U.S. for parks, I often just call it Park City.

Of course, jobs are usually more plentiful in a large metro area, but I also heard SLC is doing better than Denver in the jobs area, but IMO the cost of living isn't much different than here but wages are consistently lower, at least for the jobs I had while there. Then again, with this economy its hard to recommend either of the two but I would bet it's better here than in CA.

Living close by to work isn't always an option, with the limited jobs out there, but I too would not recommend a Denver-Boulder commute. I also did a Ft. Collins-Boulder area commute for awhile and at times that is quicker than driving back to Denver in the afternoon., depending on weather, ball games, crashes, etc.

Socially, Denver is much more fun than SLC.

Good luck on your decision, come out and visit sometime!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM

157 posts, read 488,772 times
Lived in Colorado Springs and in San Jose. Will take San Jose any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver