Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM

208 posts, read 834,887 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm from New Jersey and besides living in Utah for six months, I know nothing about the Mountain states, nothing about Colorado, or Denver---so bear with me.
I'm moving to Denver for work next month. I'm working downtown and mostly likely will live downtown as well.
My question is about skiing and other winter sports. Where do Denverites go to enjoy some outdoor winter fun?
Do you make the drive to Aspen? Or is it closer. I'm looking for a popular place that is still in the Denver area (prefer a drive no more than two hours).
Any tips and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I love Denver! Looking forward to making it my home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM

26,154 posts, read 48,849,388 times
Denver snow fans use all the resorts along the I-70 corridor, Vail, Winter Park, Arapaho Basin, and many more. Aspen is a further drive, very expensive, and one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,110,722 times
Info on ski resorts/areas and a map: Colorado Ski Resorts Travel Guide - Best Ski Resorts in Colorado

Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM

17,691 posts, read 29,659,234 times
Default Get a season pass

Ski Colorado - Multi-Mountain Passes

divide by $70 see it makes sense for you

Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM

26 posts, read 69,668 times
There are many places to ski closer (and cheaper) than Aspen. You can get to Breckenridge, A basin, Keystone, Vail, Copper Mountain, Winter Park within 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The beauty of living so close is that you can visit so many different mountains during one ski season and find what you like best. Personally, we prefer Breck because of the downtown and being close to shops and restaurants when we aren't skiing.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 AM

208 posts, read 834,887 times
I heard Vail is amazing!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM

93 posts, read 295,043 times
Vail is awesome, but expensive. A hamburger will run you ~20 bucks. So bring sandwiches. Parking is steep too, so it's not something you'll want to do every weekend.

I think it kind of depends if you ski or ride (snowboard)... If you're a skier, I would recommend Breck. the town of Breckenridge itself is awesome, so even more so if you're staying up there for a weekend. However, as a snowboarder I personally am not a huge fan of Breck. Just seems like every time we go there we leave dissapointed. THE most crowded/touristy spot of them all IMO, and I hate that. If you snowboard, I would recommend Copper Mountain or Keystone. they are both under 2 hours one way (more if traffic sucks which is has been lately)...Beaver Creek is one of my favorites, but it's a wee bit further along I-70, a few minutes past Vail. Really can't go wrong with any of them. I mean, we're in the Rockies. Even A-Basin can be really fun (it's a smaller mountain), but we usually go there when the bigger resorts close, or if A-Basin has some powder that the others don't.

There is also Loveland (even smaller I think...), Monarch, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs (Amazing), and more options if you want to drive a considerable ways farther...

Old 02-18-2012, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,873 times
In Colorado in 2 hours and under you have 8 world class ski resorts. In New jersey you have Camalback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver