Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 AM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So which is it - so much parking that it's not walkable or not enough parking so it's going to overflow and take over the surrounding neighborhood?
Both actually. According to the latest site plan, the building will have parking lots one three sides around it but, because of the location and the programming, it's probably not going to be enough parking for the customers that will visit it and you're going to see overspill into the neighborhood. You can't do anything about where the building is located, but the parking lots could be replaced with a parking structure to truly reduce the parking footprint.

Quote:
I expect that the developers will create plans consistent with their stated intent to integrate the Marketplace into the the neighboring community and I anticipate that provisions will be make to enhance the walkability with footpaths, bike paths, and other amenities that will make the site readily accessible from all sides.
We'll see. I'm not a big fan of footpaths and bike paths as a substitute for a street grid and would prefer to see more streets punched through into Aurora. Streets are what make for connectivity in a city and this is something that Stapleton, both halves, needs a lot more of. N/S connections are terrible and the E/W aren't too much better.

Quote:
And I guess ultimately walkability depends on your starting point. Stapleton is a very large area so of course not every area is walkable to every location. For many areas, the Marketplace will be a pleasant walk, although admittedly I am more likely to drive if I am planning to stock up at the Coop.
That's very true. I'll be moving to the northern portion of Stapleton next year and will certainly drive down to Stanley Marketplace when it opens, but will probably never bike there and certainly won't walk. But I'll also push for Forest City to deliver the mixed-used retail sites that they have promised, and that are zoned for, in the northern portion. Even though the Eastbridge Town Center has it's issues, I'm optimistic that things will work out there and elsewhere as Forest City is leaving it to the local office to work on these developments as opposed to having these parcels developed out of Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The old downtown Aurora has some potential, but east or west of it looks like an episode of "COPS" most evenings I don't know how they could get rid of all those hotels though. Where would all the "troubled" people go?
No idea. Everyday I drive home along E. Colfax (near Yosemite) and I always see DPD making an arrest. I doubt Denver will get rid of the motels on its side. My hail mary idea: make downtown Aurora into a vibrant arts district and convert the motels into hipster apartments and condos.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
We'll see. I'm not a big fan of footpaths and bike paths as a substitute for a street grid and would prefer to see more streets punched through into Aurora. Streets are what make for connectivity in a city and this is something that Stapleton, both halves, needs a lot more of. N/S connections are terrible and the E/W aren't too much better.
There will be more street connections into Aurora when the Aurora portion of Stapleton is developed into housing. However, that won't happen until all of the land in Denver is finished, which is currently projected to be 2019.

I agree about the N/S connectivity. Access by bike is pretty terrible. As far as east/west, I am disappointed they ditched the 35th Ave bridge across Westerly Creek. Central Park North is completely isolated when it comes to vehicle routes into that neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
No idea. Everyday I drive home along E. Colfax (near Yosemite) and I always see DPD making an arrest. I doubt Denver will get rid of the motels on its side. My hail mary idea: make downtown Aurora into a vibrant arts district and convert the motels into hipster apartments and condos.
lol! There's an idea

Without cleaning up that area of Colfax, I just don't see the surrounding neighborhoods becoming very desirable. There are many prime "scrape off" properties available, but people want to walk to something more than crime scenes.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
There will be more street connections into Aurora when the Aurora portion of Stapleton is developed into housing. However, that won't happen until all of the land in Denver is finished, which is currently projected to be 2019.

I agree about the N/S connectivity. Access by bike is pretty terrible. As far as east/west, I am disappointed they ditched the 35th Ave bridge across Westerly Creek. Central Park North is completely isolated when it comes to vehicle routes into that neighborhood.
Yeah, that bridge needs to happen. It would be annoying to live on the east end of the neighborhood and not be able to get out on that end.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, that bridge needs to happen. It would be annoying to live on the east end of the neighborhood and not be able to get out on that end.
It's not happening. Forest City took it off of its development plans a couple years ago, citing that residents didn't feel it was important.

It seems like this bridge would provide critical traffic needed for the Eastbridge Town Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver