U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 PM

84 posts, read 206,112 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've posted before recently, and will certainly continue as long as you are all so helpful.

My husband's job got transferred from CA (where we are currently) to the Inverness area, near the airport (??) It is listed as an Englewood address. We are looking for reasonably-priced rental for me, him, and baby, likely to be all moved in by November 1st.

So I've been looking around and it seems like Parker is kind of a cool town to live in. Does anyone have any thoughts about Parker? Is it safe? Know of any places to avoid? Know of any particular complexes that are good? Know of any that are maybe, um, not-so-good? (Particularly, I have been looking at Windrock/StoneCanyon, Cherrywood/Ranchstone, Trailside Apartments, and Parker Hilltop that might be in our range.) Know of anyone renting out a place there? Any help would be much appreciated. Parker is not set in stone, but I've just been overwhelmed with a large search area and am trying to narrow down and it seemed close to his work and nice enough while still being reasonably-priced.

Thanks a million for whatever input you have. It helps so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 AM

182 posts, read 313,067 times
Parker is pretty safe, any city is going to have some crime but for the most part it's very suburban and we've never felt unsafe. There isn't really a "bad" part of town in Parker. You can live more in town or more rural, out east. The traffic on Lincoln and Parker during rush hour can be a bit of a pain, something to consider with commute but most places you mentioned will be pretty close. Some of the closest places near Centennial Airport: There are a couple complexes at Lincoln & Peoria that look nice (Windsor at Meridian), some off Dove Valley (Coyote Ranch). Cherrywood/Ranchstone are close to E-470 Toll Highway, close to a grocery store, nearby Costco and Parker Hospital, also closer to one of the Parker Rec Centers. Trailside is not too far away from there, close to Post Office, Main Street, Newer Target and other shopping/restaurants. Still close to main rec center and they have another facility even closer to Trailside plus outdoor pool with water slides off Main Street. All of these locations are within 10 minutes or less of each other so I would plan on checking them all out.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately we have to sign a lease and move out sight unseen so that is why I am relying on this site and the help of people like yourself so much.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM

11,653 posts, read 32,616,140 times
I would never sign a lease for a place sight unseen. I would stay in a suite type hotel for a few days and see for myself.

I think that it is asking for trouble.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 AM

17,087 posts, read 26,857,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I would never sign a lease for a place sight unseen. I would stay in a suite type hotel for a few days and see for myself.

I think that it is asking for trouble.
Agree 100%.
4 days in a hotel costs $500.
1 year stuck in the "wrong" apartment/house costs way more.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM

156 posts, read 687,892 times
I've been through many corporate relocations...is his company arranging temporary housing? Or are they giving you an allowance for that?

Regardless, I would never sign a lease for a place w/o seeing it. We've always had corporate housing supplied or given a lump sum allowance for. When we were transferred to Colorado, I used part of our lump sum allowance for corporate housing in the DTC (which I'm sure is very close to where your DH will be working...I think Inverness and the DTC - Denver Tech Center) are practically next door, as DTC is near the Centennial airport. I found our corporate housing through Marriott...and it's pricey $2-3K a month, but it does include all utilities and furnishings, and you can go month to month). You might also be able to stay at a Residence Inn for a week or two (there are two I can think of off the top of my head close to that area...one on the east side of I-25, and one on the west).

Parker is fine, but it is Douglas County schools...we didn't care for them when we moved here. We had planned to buy a house in that district, so I got corporate housing in that district, but after a few months, we knew we didn't like the district, so we opted to buy a house in the Cherry Creek School District. I live 10 minutes from the Centennial airport in the CCSD, and love our school system, and our neighborhood. There are several apartment complexes on Parker Road just north of Arapahoe (that side to Cherry Creek State Park) that look nice enough, if you want to go the apt. route before buying a house. But as others have said, I'd find temp housing here and lock into something only after you've seen it. Trust me, I know how stressful moving is...I've done it three times in the last 7 years. Gotta love corporate America, haha.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM

I know it stinks but I just don't think that is possible to see beforehand. We will be coming from CA via car with a 1 year old and 2 cats, with a cube arriving when we get there. They are giving him an allowance to move but not much- Just enough to get our stuff there- and we can't afford for me to take an extra trip out, and we are in a hurry.

We will just have to try to get the best we can and deal with it. I am just praying that we end up someplace safe.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

24,011 posts, read 26,869,730 times
There aren't really any truly "unsafe" areas where you are looking. Some are better than others of course, but you won't end up living anywhere you fear for your life or anything. You'd be more likely to be bored by the blandness than living in fear. Even if you could stay at an inexpensive hotel for a few days while you look, it would be worth seeing something before you sign a lease.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 PM

I can deal with "bored by blandness" for a year! We just want to get a place out there that is safe, then once we are there, settled in, learning about the area firsthand and seeing how far money goes there compared to here in CA, we can then look for something more long term. Gotta roll with it!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM

It is good to know that Parker is safe... We were looking other places but that was our big concern. Parker seemed pretty much like a safe bet in terms of being safe for a little one.

We'd love closer to downtown, but trying to find a place so fast is too daunting. If Denver is anything like Sacramento, the safety of the downtown neighborhoods can swing from extremes almost from block to block and it really takes some time in the city to learn that. I'd rather play it safe for now and try to figure that out once we make it out there.

2 cats and a 1-year old in a car driving through the mountains from CA... yeah, not looking forward to that so much! Zoiks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver