Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times

Advertisements

Alright, for what it's worth, the Rockies and the Rangers are never going to be contenders in MLB. The air is too thin in Denver and the Rangers just have horrible management. Always focus on hitting, no pitching. These teams are always perennial losers and will be for years to come. If you don't mind rooting for losers, go ahead. Also, going to a lot of sporting events is fun but it is also expensive. $4 seats, are you sure about that? That is awfully cheap. Free parking? Don't expect that. Better be making a lot of $ if you expect to have enough discretionary income to go watch sports all the time.

As for Broncos/Cowboys, it will be cold watching football games in Denver. Not so cold in Dallas I suppose. Both teams are about equal I guess in terms of quality.

Mavericks/Nuggets, Mavs are the better team, for sure, but Nuggets have George Karl coaching them now plus Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, can't beat that, that's some good basketball. Could be contenders in the future, while Mavs could decline in the future. Though Mark Cuban will probably always keep them as contenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Alright, for what it's worth, the Rockies and the Rangers are never going to be contenders in MLB. The air is too thin in Denver and the Rangers just have horrible management. Always focus on hitting, no pitching. These teams are always perennial losers and will be for years to come. If you don't mind rooting for losers, go ahead. Also, going to a lot of sporting events is fun but it is also expensive. $4 seats, are you sure about that? That is awfully cheap. Free parking? Don't expect that. Better be making a lot of $ if you expect to have enough discretionary income to go watch sports all the time.

As for Broncos/Cowboys, it will be cold watching football games in Denver. Not so cold in Dallas I suppose. Both teams are about equal I guess in terms of quality.

Mavericks/Nuggets, Mavs are the better team, for sure, but Nuggets have George Karl coaching them now plus Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, can't beat that, that's some good basketball. Could be contenders in the future, while Mavs could decline in the future. Though Mark Cuban will probably always keep them as contenders.
The Rangers and Rockies will both be at least in the top half of the MLB within 2 years. The Rockies are already starting to show how good their young talent is and are in the race still this year. I don't care whether they are WS contenders every year anyways I just want teams.

We park for free at every Reds game we go to. We usually get pretty good seats though since we only get to go to a couple of games a year (this year we have actually been to 6 so far). You aren't going to park next to the stadium for free but if you are willing to walk a mile or 2 you can. I'm sure if you look around and start to know the area you can find places. Plus from what I've heard the transit thing they have going in Denver is a cheaper alternative to driving.

The Official Site of The Colorado Rockies: Homepage go to tickets select the game of your choice and tell me how much it says for rock pile seats. That is face value from the booth. You can usually get tickets from eBay or stubhub to crappy teams like the Rockies and Rangers for a lot less than face value at all price levels unless it is a big series (i.e. Rockies vs. Yankees, Rangers vs. Astros, etc.)

I don't exaggerate and I don't exaggerate when I tell you how much I love sports. If you think a little bit, going to games a lot is not as expensive as it is if you have to park next to Todd Helton for the 20 yard walk into the ballpark and buy the front row seats and have a quadruple priced meal from the concession stand.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:33 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
The Rockpile seats in Rox games have always been $4.00 -- though they aren't the best seats. (Shell out $10-$15 and you can get some much nicer seats) As for parking on rockies' games, if you take transit with RTD you can park in their park & Rides for free and take bus/light rail to the games.

That's the nice thing about baseball -- it's one of the more accessible professional sports to the fan on a budget. In Denver, Avs and Broncos are a both a lot more difficult for the budget-conscious.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
The Rangers and Rockies will both be at least in the top half of the MLB within 2 years. The Rockies are already starting to show how good their young talent is and are in the race still this year. I don't care whether they are WS contenders every year anyways I just want teams.

We park for free at every Reds game we go to. We usually get pretty good seats though since we only get to go to a couple of games a year (this year we have actually been to 6 so far). You aren't going to park next to the stadium for free but if you are willing to walk a mile or 2 you can. I'm sure if you look around and start to know the area you can find places. Plus from what I've heard the transit thing they have going in Denver is a cheaper alternative to driving.

The Official Site of The Colorado Rockies: Homepage go to tickets select the game of your choice and tell me how much it says for rock pile seats. That is face value from the booth. You can usually get tickets from eBay or stubhub to crappy teams like the Rockies and Rangers for a lot less than face value at all price levels unless it is a big series (i.e. Rockies vs. Yankees, Rangers vs. Astros, etc.)

I don't exaggerate and I don't exaggerate when I tell you how much I love sports. If you think a little bit, going to games a lot is not as expensive as it is if you have to park next to Todd Helton for the 20 yard walk into the ballpark and buy the front row seats and have a quadruple priced meal from the concession stand.
I used to be able to get Los Angeles Kings Hockey tickets for about $12 per ticket back in the late 80's. Last game I went to the parking was $20 and each ticket was $45. Of course, part of this inflation was due to Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille's popularity. But now that they're gone, and the Kings rarely make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, the prices are still sky-high. I'm NOT saying you're a liar or that you are exaggerating things, but I honestly can't imagine getting into any major sporting event for $4.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Maybe the site only says $4 bucks for me only but I can tell you that every Major League Baseball team has seats for $12 dollars or less. The Boston Red Sox, the best baseball town and the team that sells out the most (every home game) have $12 seats. Teams like the Rockies and Rangers have them in the $4-$6 range. The Diamondbacks used to have obstructed view seats for $1 dollar I don't know if they still do or not. NBA teams have seats for $10-15 or less. NFL is the most expensive and tickets are sometimes hard to come by especially for good teams. We haven't been to a Colts game in 8 years mainly because ever since Peyton Manning took over and played a big part in making them a winner tickets have been crazy. We did go to a pre-season game last year because I got tickets for $8 bucks a piece but pre-season is a joke and we now know not to go to anymore of those lol... I don't know as much about NHL, I've only been to one game and I don't care for it all that much. I think their tickets are in general more than the NBA or MLB.

These seats I speak of are indeed not very good seats. At any MLB game outside of a Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, or probably Dodgers until the stadium emptys in the 7th inning, you can move around. You might not be able to move right behind the plate in the 3rd row but you can move just about anywhere else you want... I love going to games where the upper deck is usually pretty empty and you can spread out and almost have a whole section to yourself. NBA games you probably can't move, NFL you definitly can't move. So what. You're in the building and you're watching the same game the guy in the lower level just paid $85 a piece to see. I too do not see how people manage to go to a lot of games and sit in the lower level at NBA or NFL games that is just crazy expensive. I think the Pacers cheapest tickets in the lower are something like $65 a piece... We could go to 6 games and sit in the $10 seats or 1 game and sit in the $65 seats...

I'm not saying I plan to be at all 81 Rockies home games, all 41 Nuggets home games, or even all 8 Broncos home games. It would be my dream life to be able to do that but you're right you would need to be making far and above the money most people make to be able to do that. My dad and I could buy season tickets to the Pacers for next season if we wanted but the only times we could go is on Saturdays or Sundays due to the 4 hour round trip drive. If we lived within a 30 or so minute drive, we could probably go to 20 games a year. As I said before you can spend $130 for 2 tickets to see 1 game or $120 for 2 tickets to see 6 games.

Last edited by BSL63087; 08-22-2007 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The Rockpile seats in Rox games have always been $4.00 -- though they aren't the best seats. (Shell out $10-$15 and you can get some much nicer seats) As for parking on rockies' games, if you take transit with RTD you can park in their park & Rides for free and take bus/light rail to the games.

That's the nice thing about baseball -- it's one of the more accessible professional sports to the fan on a budget. In Denver, Avs and Broncos are a both a lot more difficult for the budget-conscious.
Do they charge extra to park plus charge you to ride or is it just the fee to ride the RTD? If you lived there and traveled into downtown a lot a monthly pass for it is something like $70 bucks a month is what someone told me... That's well worth it if you ride it 3 or 4 times a week at least.

This is just my personal opinion but my philosophy on buying tickets to sporting events is you either go all out or get the cheapest thing available... Yeah those $15 seats are a little better but you can buy the $4 rock pile seats and move to the $15 area because it is empty unless the Rockies play someone like the Yankees. I think opening day and that series is all they have sold out this year, I could be wrong.

I believe the Nuggets have some tickets in the $10 dollar range. I'd have to look to be exact. The Broncos are expensive but watching the NFL in person is a lot of fun. I haven't been to a regular season game since 1998 and the ticket prices are a lot of the reason but they don't seem to have any problems selling them since every game sells out so whatever. We are trying to get some tickets for a Colts or Bengals game this year but it's nearly impossible without paying over face value. My uncle got lucky and got 4 lower level seats for a Colts game last year for free from his work. That's about the only way you can get them without paying a scalper because they sell out their season tickets and don't even have any single game tickets to sell. I refuse to pay more than face value for any game.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I used to be able to get Los Angeles Kings Hockey tickets for about $12 per ticket back in the late 80's. Last game I went to the parking was $20 and each ticket was $45. Of course, part of this inflation was due to Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille's popularity. But now that they're gone, and the Kings rarely make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, the prices are still sky-high.
They still have $12 seats. I just looked it up. Yeah, they are up in the corner in the upper deck probably last row but it gets you in the building to watch your Kings and fairly cheaply. It's not good seats like $12 probably got you in the 80s but hey you can get in. Some people don't like to sit in bad seats and would just assume not go unless they have good seats. My aunt is like that for some reason she will not sit in the upper level for any concerts that she goes to she says she is afraid of heights or something... Good seats nowadays are out of my price range too for the most part. I could afford to buy them if I wanted but I just have a hard time paying triple the money to watch the same exact thing. It's funner to sit close and the view is much better but in the end you are still watching the same game. I credit my dad for instilling this in me because when I was younger I was one of the kids that wanted to be close to the action and complained when we got upper level seats. I remember him trying to explain to me why we a lot of times got the "top 6" seats at Reds games at the old stadium and though I didn't really understand it then I do now. They were $3 dollars, and we still got to see Mark McGwire like every one else.

I'm sorry to get really way off topic here but I just wanted to state my case that going to a few sporting events is not THAT expensive if you play it smart, get the cheap seats, park cheap or free (may involve some walking), and avoid concession stands and gift shops. I think getting good seats is ok sometimes especially if you don't go much but if you go a lot you can still get by with going to quite a few games on not much more money than getting good seats for just one game.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, I guess I am getting ripped off, a ticket in left field to a Padres game is like $14 plus they charge you like some stupid $3.25 "fee" or something that isn't even explained. It just says "fee", how stupid, let's just throw $3.25 onto the price of the ticket for the hell of it. Then they charge you a $3.50 "order charge" ! wtf. Cheapest seats are $8 and those are listed as "bleachers." So now for a left field seat I've just plopped down $20.75. If I park like 13 blocks away from the stadium I can find a parking space for $8. So that's about $30 to see one stupid game.

I'm curious, when you order Rockies or Rangers tickets, are they throwing on an additional $6.75 in random, idiotic fees? Are there actually free places to park? Padres stadium is downtown and only parking downtown is in like garages and big lots and you have to pay to park there. So am I getting ripped off or what? Can I expect the same kind of prices and price hikes and parking fees if I go to Rockies games?

And if so then I stand by my statement that going to a lot of sporting events takes a big chunk out of your discretionary income. Go to 8 MLB games a month and you just spent $240. For one person. And don't get me started on the $9 beers and $6 hot dogs. What's a beer and hot dog and food at Coors Field cost?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
They still have $12 seats. I just looked it up. Yeah, they are up in the corner in the upper deck probably last row but it gets you in the building to watch your Kings and fairly cheaply. It's not good seats like $12 probably got you in the 80s but hey you can get in. Some people don't like to sit in bad seats and would just assume not go unless they have good seats. My aunt is like that for some reason she will not sit in the upper level for any concerts that she goes to she says she is afraid of heights or something... Good seats nowadays are out of my price range too for the most part. I could afford to buy them if I wanted but I just have a hard time paying triple the money to watch the same exact thing. It's funner to sit close and the view is much better but in the end you are still watching the same game. I credit my dad for instilling this in me because when I was younger I was one of the kids that wanted to be close to the action and complained when we got upper level seats. I remember him trying to explain to me why we a lot of times got the "top 6" seats at Reds games at the old stadium and though I didn't really understand it then I do now. They were $3 dollars, and we still got to see Mark McGwire like every one else.

I'm sorry to get really way off topic here but I just wanted to state my case that going to a few sporting events is not THAT expensive if you play it smart, get the cheap seats, park cheap or free (may involve some walking), and avoid concession stands and gift shops. I think getting good seats is ok sometimes especially if you don't go much but if you go a lot you can still get by with going to quite a few games on not much more money than getting good seats for just one game.
Sorry to continue to be off-topic, but those $45 tickets I mentioned previously were two rows from the back wall (otherwise known as nose-bleed seats) and nowhere near center-ice.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:50 PM

One more thing. If you think the Rangers and Rockies will be one of the top teams in baseball in 2 years go get your head checked. Rockies, maybe. Rangers, no way. Rangers are a bunch of losers, horrible management. Traded A-Rod, paid him a huge $ salary (that they are still paying on), traded Soriano, traded Teixera (whose hit 9hr in the last 18 games as a Brave, great trade, Rangers front office), and never sign any decent pitching. Spent $30 mil on Chan Ho Park, yeah, great acquisition. the Rangers will NEVER be a contender, not anytime in the next 5 years at least. Rockies might have a shot only b/c they play in a weak division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver