Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Well, I think most people in the Denver area are found at the Breakfast King and Wal-Mart. Those people are actually working hard for their families rather than tooling around on the internet pretending that they own Subarus are ski every weekend.

Let's be honest, unless you're living in a pathetic little bubble, you don't see the average Denverite driving Subarus while wearing North Face on the way to "Breck." That is definitely a subsection of Denver--comprised of mostly transplants--but it's certainly not the majority. I think that a handful of people live in cute, insular bubbles of yuppie bliss in places like Boulder, Stapleton, etc. When you describe the rest of Colorado (or even metro Denver) they act like you're talking about Mars.

Frankly, if you don't get outside of the city of Denver (and, no, travelling I-70 between your home and Summit County doesn't count), you'll never get why the average "Denver guy" has probably never gone skiing and wears a #15 Broncos jersey, not North Face.
Jeeeez, way to get all sanctimonious on a thread that was intended to be light-hearted and fun. Not sure why you and Aguilar have a chip on your shoulder about North Face-wearing/Subaru-driving/healthy-eating skiers, but to act as if it's only transplants that enjoy that lifestyle (and most natives mock it) is ridiculous! Sure, there's a good amount of both...I lived in the area for ~14 years (coming back ASAP ) and know an innumerable amount of people who do all of those things and are Colorado natives. I of course know many (but less) who have never skied or don't really participate in the 'active lifestyle'. You're entitled to your opinion of course but trying to invalidate that aspect of the Colorado/Denver lifestyle as fake or disingenuous just because YOU don't identify with it is silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
not North Face.
It is "The North Face and not "North Face".
Just check the label on your gear.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I suspect a lot more of those F-150s in rural Colorado, while a bunch of those Outbacks are probably sold to city dwellers (particularly Denverites), which probably makes for a interesting commentary on demographic changes in the region over the past decade or so.
If I see an F-150 in my neighborhood, I know it's a contractor working at someone's house lol! I don't think you could get one into your garage here in Stapleton. And who would want to drive such a huge vehicle around Denver where parking is usually tight. I can barely maneuver my Prius into a parking space at work.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Exactly right. Oddly enough I've found Exhibit B predominates at mainly two places: They were all over the place when I was an undergrad at CU-Boulder and, of course, many of them were from far, far away from Colorado. The other place is DIA. And they too were usually from places like Texas, Ohio, etc. and actually believed that you can learn about Colorado by watching the Real World. It's no surprise, then, that so many people leave Denver after living here for only a few years. Either you get real and get with it or you realize that this is actually not one giant REI store and move homes.
lol! My neighborhood is entirely "Exhibit B". That's definitely more the type of person you see in much of urban Denver. I don't go to the suburbs, or even know anyone in the suburbs, so it does all depend on where you live and who you hang with.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:03 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
F-150 in Stapleton...my Prius
Real men drive 2012 Ford Super Duty Options | View Available Trim Levels | Ford.com
The F-150 is way too small.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Jeeeez, way to get all sanctimonious on a thread that was intended to be light-hearted and fun. Not sure why you and Aguilar have a chip on your shoulder about North Face-wearing/Subaru-driving/healthy-eating skiers, but to act as if it's only transplants that enjoy that lifestyle (and most natives mock it) is ridiculous! Sure, there's a good amount of both...I lived in the area for ~14 years (coming back ASAP ) and know an innumerable amount of people who do all of those things and are Colorado natives. I of course know many (but less) who have never skied or don't really participate in the 'active lifestyle'. You're entitled to your opinion of course but trying to invalidate that aspect of the Colorado/Denver lifestyle as fake or disingenuous just because YOU don't identify with it is silly
People can be however they like.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,174 times
Would I fit in?
I drive a Passat TDI (recycled Biodiesel), listen to Jazz and tango. I only have a North Face race shirt "Ultra-Trail-De-Mont-Blanc", (the shoes were done for after 120k). I also like skiing, biking, other outdoors; guilty of shopping at WF (prefer farmer's Markets, Coops, Trader Joe's).

Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail2tango View Post
Would I fit in?
I drive a Passat TDI (recycled Biodiesel), listen to Jazz and tango. I only have a North Face race shirt "Ultra-Trail-De-Mont-Blanc", (the shoes were done for after 120k). I also like skiing, biking, other outdoors; guilty of shopping at WF (prefer farmer's Markets, Coops, Trader Joe's).
As long as your Passat is an earth tone, then yes, you'll be allowed into the club

Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 AM

81 posts, read 192,277 times
Default "Typical" person from Denver

I am shocked to learn that not everyone in Denver is a clone of John Denver with ski racks on the SUV full of perfect children, a Golden Retriever, and is always sipping a micro brew after coming home from Whole Foods.

Actually with two million+ living in Denver metro there is bound to be a great deal of diversity. Certain neighborhoods likely have earned their sterotypes, like they do everywhere.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
Never forget when I moved to Capital Hill/Congress Park/8th and Steele in 1976...from Dallas. Culture Shock. People in Denver drove "funny cars", wore "funny clothes", and "talked funny". Now I am one...and wouldn't trade my Colorado clothes and shoes for anything. Merrells are very comfortable shoes, BTW. The casual Colorado lifestyle fits me just fine and I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver