Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM

339 posts, read 1,283,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
There are so many different types I don't think there is a stereotype here. I know a lot of people in Denver who could care less about anything outdoors, never go into the mountains, etc..
Yeah but it's very few of them and most of them hardly register on the radar.

I cannot mention how many times I go on dating sites and see profiles of guys taking pictures with ski outfits, or on loveland pass, or something outdoors. It's like the same thing all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,721,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
Biggest sterotype I can think of is they are the worst drivers I have ever seen in my life. To arrogant, or stupid, to use their turn signals. Will speed up to cut you off, then slam on their brakes to make a right hand turn right in front of you rather then getting in line behind you. First snow of the year...they will do 5 miles an hour and you can see the terror on their faces....by snow storm 3 they are back to being arrogant and doing 90 on black ice.
Only in the US do people spend so much time getting upset by how other people drive, and then take the time to write about it.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM

229 posts, read 421,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
Biggest sterotype I can think of is they are the worst drivers I have ever seen in my life. To arrogant, or stupid, to use their turn signals. Will speed up to cut you off, then slam on their brakes to make a right hand turn right in front of you rather then getting in line behind you. First snow of the year...they will do 5 miles an hour and you can see the terror on their faces....by snow storm 3 they are back to being arrogant and doing 90 on black ice.

You know, it's funny.....I see a lot of people on here post about Denver drivers and this stereotype so it must be happening to lots of you in some fashion. However, I've lived here most of my 35 years and haven't really experienced this to any extent that people keep posting about. I've driven in LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, Nashville, Miami, Portland, and many other cities and I think there are crappy drivers everywhere, but no more or less than here, with the exception of LA where I found the majority of people to be very clueless and very aggressive with their driving. When merging onto a highway in LA, you have to just go and pray the other person gets out of the way cause nobody is letting you in.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
You know, it's funny.....I see a lot of people on here post about Denver drivers and this stereotype so it must be happening to lots of you in some fashion. However, I've lived here most of my 35 years and haven't really experienced this to any extent that people keep posting about. I've driven in LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, Nashville, Miami, Portland, and many other cities and I think there are crappy drivers everywhere, but no more or less than here, with the exception of LA where I found the majority of people to be very clueless and very aggressive with their driving. When merging onto a highway in LA, you have to just go and pray the other person gets out of the way cause nobody is letting you in.
I agree. And having lived in the Denver metro for 13 years, driving the entire time, Denver drivers are completely average. I have lived and driven in LA, SF and Atlanta and driven quite a bit in NYC and Boston and I can tell you, without a doubt, the worst drivers in the country are in Texas. The first day I arrived it was a shock like no other and I would characterized myself as a faster-than-the-speed-limit driver who enjoys driving a performance vehicle. Texas drivers are stupidly aggressive/dangerously fast OR appear to drive like a 15 year old with a learner's permit -- 100% unaware of the rules of the road. It's unsettling how bad the majority of drivers here are.

Denver drivers are heavenly in contrast and completely average. Some can't figure out the 'move over so others can pass on the left' thing -- there are posted signs on 36, people! -- but other than that, they are run of the mill.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,216,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
I agree. Denver drivers are basically like the drivers in any other major metro area, I don't find them to be any worse. We do have lots of crazy drivers here, but I guess that's what happens when 3 million people are trying to get from point A to point B on often congested roads.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM

181 posts, read 581,004 times
The one Denver driving habit that drives me nuts is the unwillingness of many to get out into the intersection when waiting to turn left.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
Yeah, you don't have to drive bad to be stereotypically Denver though.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,345,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
The one Denver driving habit that drives me nuts is the unwillingness of many to get out into the intersection when waiting to turn left.
That decision is based on the person making the turn, not your decision. In addition, in many areas, it is illegal to enter an intersection and stop and block cross traffic so you can make a left. The idea of being in the intersection and stopped if you are forced to stop because of a hazard. Ideally one should enter an intersection that is fully cleared for the turn and proceed to the left turn without stopping.

Again the important issue, is that the the driver makes the decisions not the impatient driver who is "nuts" behind. Never allow yourself to be driven into a decision by some impatient driver behind you.

That is how I drive. If I perceive a hazard, I will not enter the intersection regardless of the nut behind me--he can honk all he wants. At the same time, I do proceed more often, into an intersection and stop to quicken traffic movement and make a turn but that is my decision based on the intersection and the timing of the light--so I actually do drive the way you want, to avoid driving you "nuts".

And YOU NEED to realize that you may not be able to see all the hazard or pedestrians and should learn patience for your own health. If you cannot do that, then you are the driver who drive me "nuts" and are a definite hazard to others.

Livecontent

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
And, the Outback has a Thule or Yakima rack with attachments for: skis, kayak, bikes.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM

704 posts, read 1,784,509 times
The stereotypical Denverite--who is usually a transplant from some other place and buys the Suburu and ski rack because, he or she assumes, everyone else in Colorado does, too--is farsically different than the truly average Denverite. My experience has been that most natives don't ski, but the majority of transplants do. All Coloradans are active, but only tranplants wear their active lifestyle on their sleeve like a badge of honor, as if to say, hey, I have escaped the smog-filled, gang-infested ghettos of Southern California and I'm going to darn-well live it up here in paradise. People who have been here for a while, on the other hand, just take it for what it is, and don't pretend that it makes us any better (or, at least, it doesn't make us way better). In other words, transplants often try too hard to be Coloradan, when in reality very few Coloradans are actually like that.

The true Denverite, of course, will always be the Barrel Man, and I suspect that if you took a street-level survey, most people in Denver would also agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver