Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM

132 posts, read 486,828 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in New England and are considering moving. Denver is on the list. We are outdoors people and enjoy hiking, camping, moutainbiking, but we also enjoy some culture and the city.

Any New England transplants here to share their experience and comparisons with New England?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 29,507 times
I think a lot of it probably depends where in New England you're from (i.e. Boston or more rural area). In my opinion, Colorado seems pretty laid-back compared to East Coast. People seem very friendly whereas I think New England culture can be a bit more reserved (not a bad thing, just depends what you like). There are fewer trees and more wide-open spaces. Everything feels "big" out here, partly b/c of the mountains. It's not the same "small-town" historic feeling that you have in a lot of the New England villages. Especially when you get outside of Denver, there is a lot of suburban sprawl (box stores, developments, etc). Architecture style is much different - you don't see a lot of Colonial or shingle style homes out here, also homes (unless you're in some sections of Denver) tend to be newer builds and in developments that all have similar styles. Winters are less harsh & weather is lower humidity. Culture here is very outdoorsy, so if that's you're thing, this is a great place to be. Most New Englanders that I know love it out here - the lifestyle, pace, weather, etc. The people I know that have moved back to NE, usually do so b/c of family. 2000 miles away is far enough that if you've got kids out here and your friends/family are all back east, it's a long trip. Whether you'd like Colorado probably depends on what you're looking for.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:00 AM

132 posts, read 486,828 times
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

My wife and I have been to Denver in the winter to ski, but never during any other time of the year. We are heading out there for a week (leaving next week) and are excited to see the area in another season.

One thing that I may miss about New England is the variety of interesting places that you can drive to that are so close by. Is there a decent variety of places to see around Denver?

Any other input from fellow New Englanders would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
you might want to drive through denver's city neighborhoods if you are going to be close to downtown and cherry creek (the shopping area). You'll find the Denver Country Club area, Washington Park and Congress Park to feel very new england with old, tall, leafy trees. There are even some colonia style homes in these neighborhoods but more of our homes are craftsmans, tudors,etc.. than colonials. Living in these neighborhoods give you access to downtown denver and the musemns, theatre and restaurants (3 miles) as well as Cherry Creek w/ it's farmers market, annual art festival, shopping. You can also easily get to the foothills and to the mountains... Hiking outside of Denver is as close as 20-30minutes. I would highly recommend driving around downtown when you are here, I think You'll be surprised by it's size.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:18 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,487 times
We were on out way to Las Vegas from Upstate NY. We stopped in Boulder and have been here a week with no intentions of leaving. If you like outdoor type things goto Boulder! Unbelievable. And the people here are sooooo nice!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Ahhhh...billee...I was wondering what happened to you! I was waiting to see a post form you on how Vegas was going for you two. I figured you'd never get past CO! Good for you...and in my opinion...you've made the right choice! Check out the Veags board when you get a chance...it's bad out there!

Good Luck and glad you're having fun!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

My wife and I have been to Denver in the winter to ski, but never during any other time of the year. We are heading out there for a week (leaving next week) and are excited to see the area in another season.

One thing that I may miss about New England is the variety of interesting places that you can drive to that are so close by. Is there a decent variety of places to see around Denver?

Any other input from fellow New Englanders would be appreciated.
I am not a New Englander, I am a Pennsylvanian. One thing I have missed about living here is the above. I have long said, in a 500 mile radius of Denver, there is mainly the mtns and the Plains. I know I will take some heat for this, but there simply are not the historical places here that there are in the east. Yes, I have been to a lot of the historical places around here. Salt Lake City is ~500 miles west; Lincoln, Neb. is ~500 miles east. (Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska, is 550 miles.) 500 miles north is somewhere in Montana. 500 mi. south is somewhere in New Mexico. Other than RMNP and Mesa Verde, the National Parks are all hundreds of miles away, out of state (Yellowstone is ~ 700 miles, Glacier is even farther.) Everything is a trade-off. We've been here 27 yrs; I guess we're in for the long haul.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Other than RMNP and Mesa Verde, the National Parks are all hundreds of miles away, out of state (Yellowstone is ~ 700 miles, Glacier is even farther.) Everything is a trade-off. We've been here 27 yrs; I guess we're in for the long haul.
What about Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Great Sand Dunes NP? And don't forget about national monuments (Canyons of the Ancients, Colorado NM, Dinosaur). We have a plethora of natural wonders in our state.

As for vast distance to other metropolitan areas, you stated that very accurately. I think it's kind of unique. We have a huge range of relatively unspoiled countryside to enjoy, without cropping up against other cities. The thing that strikes me about the east coast is how one metro area seems abut right up to the next, in a never ending string of them. For example, If you're driving south from Boston on Interstate 95, you'd have to pass up Richmond, Virginia before you'd leave the suburban sprawl of one city or another behind you. Even then, the rapidly growing cities of North Carolina don't leave you too much room. (I do realize that parts of New York state and Pennsylvania do have some of their own relatively depopulated areas).

Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Well, it's really hard to explain if you're not from that area. Most of the places you mention, tfox, are a lot more than a day-trip from Denver. Also, unless you're a big fan of grassland, you are restricted to going west, not east. I'm not complaining, just trying to explain the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver