Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 PM

6,780 posts, read 9,332,326 times

Advertisements

I love Denver, but I'll be 100% honest and say that while it has so much to offer, I personally don't want to spend the rest of my life here. There are other places I'd like to experience. But, with that aside, I moved to Denver from Southern California nearly 5 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I could have made for myself, for reasons mostly similar to what others have already said. I found a better job here, had extra money and attended grad school (would have NEVER been able to do that in California without loans), and bought a townhouse last year, which I love. I'm also gaining great experience in my field and I've met some great people.

California was fun. I liked living there, but it's just wasn't viable for me to stay if I wanted to achieve some of my hopes and dreams, like attending grad school or advancing further in my career. I also liked all of the "exotic" produce that was easily available, like persimmons (of all things), and some of the food options that were available there, but aren't-so-great here. One thing I don't miss is the out-of-control, financially unsustainable political climate and sometimes I worry that the same thing is going to happen to Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
...don't want to spend the rest of my life here
And, I do.
Moved here from Massachusetts 31 years ago.
1. Better weather.
2. Lower taxes.
3. Cheaper utilities (gas, electric). More expensive utilities (water).
4. Less traffic congestion.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyReward View Post
It depends on where you're coming from. We came from TX and the home prices in Denver are frightening in comparison. The schools are much better. The weather great, but often too cold for me! The traffic is a nightmare, but it is in lots of places....read an interesting article in 5280 Magazine this month about the state's crumbling infrastructure. The taxes are also very high.

Really it just depend on what you're coming from.
We came here from downstate IL, the housing prices were a sticker shock to us, too. What was great, compared to Champaign, was that you could actually go into a store and buy what you needed, as opposed to everything (it seemed) in Champaign being back ordered. It was like Christmas. Not so much clothes, but auto parts (I had a Ford Fiesta at the time), home improvement stuff, things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, we aren't a young couple by far (when we lived there we were in our early later 50's), but we liked it quite a bit. We had a house in Parker and done a number of things during the summer months including going to RMNP (for the elk rut and up Trail Ridge Road to the highest point in North America driveable by car), rodeo's, Denver Zoo (great one), etc. Had some rough winters though, driving thru "whiteout" conditions and some awefully cold temps. I had two surgeries there that the winters just weren't compatible with......had to sell house, quit our jobs and move. Lived there for 5 1/2 yrs.

Would we recommend a move to Denver metro, oh yes, BUT, have to remember that it can get mighty cold and snowy there at times!
If we could afford it, we'd have two homes, one here in Florida and another in Parker, CO for the summers!
It was much colder in the winter in Champaign. The first year, I wondered when it was going to get cold and stay cold, like it does there. After while, I got used to it.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 21,422 times
I had a great time reading everyone's posts....thnx I really got the gist of how it is there...very helpful )))

The one thing I'm worried about,the only thing really now, is the crime there? I've read posts on here and some sounded scary. I know it's a "locked in" city/area and that seems like that means all the crime would stay in that area...'cause where would they move to type of deal.............at least that's my theory for now......but am I wrong as far as the crime there?

For all you guys that moved there, is it safe? Like you don't worry about going out to the movies or shopping in the evening or with your kids to park during the day? I know each city has its bad parts......but I mean overall. For instance, when I lived in the West Village in nyc, I could go out in the wee hours of the night and I felt safe...same with living in NJ in one town, always felt safe....however, the next town over was a little sketchy, wouldnt' go there at night, heck even during the daytime in some areas.............are there towns or parts of towns that are essentially safe overall and no worries really? (and I'm talking using common sense, of course)

BTW, any recommendations for safe towns in the Denver area? no matter the cost, etc....just curious of all that are.......

(sorry for all these questions......but if you can answer, that'll be great)

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweeethome View Post
worried about,the only thing really now, is the crime there
The City & County of Denver provides lots of crime data at
2010 Crime Statistics

If you look at the heat maps, you will see great variations in each precinct. And, even then, you need to understand what makes a spot hot red. For example, I used to live in District 3 and the crime rate in my neighborhood (Belcaro/Bonnie Brae) was almost zero. But, just a mile to the north is a big red blotch. Unsettling until you realize that it is the Cherry Creek Mall with lots of shoplifting and Theft from Motor Vehicle.

For all of Colorado, you might find this useful: ORS

And, more data
Colorado Crime Rates 1960 - 2010
compared with
New Jersey Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 PM

thnx, I'll check it out

Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM

25 posts, read 139,980 times
Our family of 4 (2 kids, 10 and 14) just moved here 3 months ago and we absolutely love it. We bought in a large subdivision in Broomfield, and there's always lots to do -for the kids and adults. We have found everyone to be extremely friendly. We moved from Huntington Beach, CA and it was not an easy decision, but it was definitely the right one for us. Our mortgage is way less and we love the extra money in our pockets. We look forward to the seasons- already, fall has been such a new experience for us. It's absolutely beautiful here. We loved the beach, but didn't like how it congested socal was getting. The mountains here with all the activities was a real draw. We do feel very safe here. Everyone looks out for eachother. We are so glad we did it! Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:41 PM

thnx, luvmountains....I'm looking forward to going there to visit. We're going to probably make a drive from the Denver area (exploring all the suburbs there) and going up to Boulder. I'm curious to see how it is and how it "feels," if that makes any sense.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,634 times
It was wonderful to read all the responses. I share many of the opinions expressed above.

We moved almost 5 months ago from NJ (near NYC) and love it here. We rented for a year, but have already decided to stay & buy a home.

The weather has been awesome though we haven't spent a winter here yet. Having the sun shine almost every morning is just wonderful.

Everything is easily accessible. We live in Denver and we can get to just about any place in less than 30 minutes by car - most places in 15. We also bicycle to a lot of places using the routes in the BikeDenver.org map.

People are friendly and not rushed all the time like they are around NYC.

Cost of living is much lower than NJ. Sales taxes & auto registration is higher, but just about every other thing is the same or lower. In the case of property taxes, much, much lower.

There are a ton of things going on in Denver (like any big city) and the accessibility means you can get to them easily.

Denver isn't as diverse as NJ and while there are ethnic restaurants, they do not seem (to us) to be as good as those we're used to. Mexican food is the big exception.

All the best.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM

yeah, the property tax part is what we like the most....compared with NJ, it's loose change...and compared with California, you can actually afford a house.....and we hear the schools are good, so. You say the people are friendly, and that's good to hear beacuse I've been hearing a lot of the people being cold and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver