Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM

20 posts, read 41,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This poorly designed project is under constant criticism, and now cited as a place where walking is hazardous --because in the absence of numerous narrow through streets, people end up being exposed to too much fast traffic on the major thoroughfares serving the suburbs.
Constant criticism from who? You? Please point me to where this constant criticism is. I've seen some awards for Stapleton, which is how I first heard about it actually.

"In 2005, Stapleton won two more smart growth honor: a Best in American Living Award (BALA) for Best Smart Growth Community from the National Association of Homebuilders, and DRCOG’s Metro Vision award."

"These efforts have won recognition for smart growth. Officials from Austin, Texas, to Australia and China have visited to study Stapleton. In 2001, the Colorado Public Interest Research Group named Stapleton to its “Smart Growth Hall of Fame.” In 2002, the King of Sweden recognized Stapleton with the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities Awards. "

http://www.terrain.org/articles/17/leccese.htm

Quote:
lol! You just sound like a hater. Constant criticism? Hardly. Thousands of people live here and love it. One traffic incident in 10 years doesn't mean Stapleton is any more dangerous than Cap. Hill. You're telling me no one has EVER been hit by a car in Cap. Hill? I walk through Cap. Hill on my lunch breaks almost every week day and trust me, there are plenty of chances to get run over. People fly down all the one way streets and run lights. I've seen it plenty of times. I feel safer walking in Stapleton than Cap. Hill.
I could not agree more. I don't understand the absence of numerous narrow through streets? Has this person pulled out a map? Stapleton continues the cities grid, with numerous interruptions by things like parks, bike paths, running paths. It is a really great place to run actually.

You are much, much, much more likely to get run over by a car in Capitol Hill. In fact, it happened just this past week when a car hit two people crossing Colfax and fled.

Overall, Denver city lot sizes are small. Because the newer homes are larger, the lots feel even smaller in Stapleton. You run into the same thing with most of the scrapes in town, they use every bit of the lot that they can in order to meet the square footage for the home.

About tract housing, exactly what do you think the rest of Denver looked like when it was new? Surprise here, just like Stapleton does today. The diversity of housing stock is about the same in terms of builders and home styles. The one benefit that outweighs most arguments in my book is that newer construction is much more effecient in terms of energy requirements. An old Vic or Denver square can cost well over 500 a month to heat in the winter, I have been there.

Save the hate for something else, there is no room or need for it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletron View Post
Constant criticism from who? You? Please point me to where this constant criticism is. I've seen some awards for Stapleton, which is how I first heard about it actually.

"In 2005, Stapleton won two more smart growth honor: a Best in American Living Award (BALA) for Best Smart Growth Community from the National Association of Homebuilders, and DRCOG’s Metro Vision award."

"These efforts have won recognition for smart growth. Officials from Austin, Texas, to Australia and China have visited to study Stapleton. In 2001, the Colorado Public Interest Research Group named Stapleton to its “Smart Growth Hall of Fame.” In 2002, the King of Sweden recognized Stapleton with the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities Awards. "

Denver's Stapleton: Green Urban Infill for the Masses? by Michael Leccese : Articles : Terrain.org

I could not agree more. I don't understand the absence of numerous narrow through streets? Has this person pulled out a map? Stapleton continues the cities grid, with numerous interruptions by things like parks, bike paths, running paths. It is a really great place to run actually.

You are much, much, much more likely to get run over by a car in Capitol Hill. In fact, it happened just this past week when a car hit two people crossing Colfax and fled.

Overall, Denver city lot sizes are small. Because the newer homes are larger, the lots feel even smaller in Stapleton. You run into the same thing with most of the scrapes in town, they use every bit of the lot that they can in order to meet the square footage for the home.

About tract housing, exactly what do you think the rest of Denver looked like when it was new? Surprise here, just like Stapleton does today. The diversity of housing stock is about the same in terms of builders and home styles. The one benefit that outweighs most arguments in my book is that newer construction is much more effecient in terms of energy requirements. An old Vic or Denver square can cost well over 500 a month to heat in the winter, I have been there.

Save the hate for something else, there is no room or need for it here.
I love my walks through Capital Hill, and love to look at the old houses. But I see duplicates all over the place. Often they're 3 in a row, with minor changes toe the "ginger bread" on each house. So every house in Denver's old neighborhoods isn't necessarily an original. Many of them have very similar floorplans. I think Stapleton has done as good of a job as you can to create a diverse housing stock that's as non-cookie cutter as you can get. Our house has a lot of detailing inside and out that you'd never see in most suburban neighborhoods.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM

56 posts, read 147,778 times
Thanks so much everyone! I have been learning a lot from you all in my Denver area research. So much so- Bradburn, Denverian, cycletron, that City Data won't even let me "rate this post positively" anymore I guess I've liked many of your insight, answers, etc on other threads and appreciate it greatly! Our move is projected for early summer- so you might see me posting more as we get closer.
Thanks Again!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea View Post

..But it is on a grid. Gridded sprawl. ...
I like that Stapleton is on the same grid as the rest of Denver. In the years to come it will help it assimilate into the rest of Denver. And, in my experience, having ridden around Stapleton a lot, there are many smaller streets & a few large thoroughfares that are needed to move traffic (like Central Park Blvd, Syracuse & MLK. Stapleton is too large not to have roads like these. I'm sure the traffic on these major streets will be heavy in the future, but right now, it is extremely light compared to other city thoroughfares like Colfax, Federal, Broadway.

Thanks to those to responded to my concern.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,994 times
I love Stapleton and typically recommend it to people looking to move to the area, but honestly, a commute from Stapleton to Lone Tree would be absolutely horrible. You do NOT want to live your life dealing with that drive 10 times a week.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 AM

56 posts, read 147,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcornMan View Post
I love Stapleton and typically recommend it to people looking to move to the area, but honestly, a commute from Stapleton to Lone Tree would be absolutely horrible. You do NOT want to live your life dealing with that drive 10 times a week.
Hi AcornMan-
My husband travels and is usually out of town Monday through Wednesday. So that would just leave Thursday and Friday (4 times a week)

Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,683 times
I'm not that familiar with the Stapleton area, what grocery store do most of the residents shop at?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
I'm not that familiar with the Stapleton area, what grocery store do most of the residents shop at?
King Soopers at 29th and Quebec or Super Target on the north side of the freeway. They've been trying to get another grocery store to open in the town center at MLK and Havana for over 5 years now and so far it hasn't happened. I think they're trying to get some sort of health food grocer in there, like Sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver