Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM

84 posts, read 220,388 times

Advertisements

Gawd I can't believe I fall into the category of mom in the suburbs who won't be doing anything but grocery shopping! 2 years ago before daughter was born I was living downtown and climbing Half Dome in my off time!

Seriously, though. It's not like I don't plan to spend time doing other things, but most of the time yes it will involve my daughter. Think: replace "climb Half Dome" with "go hiking someplace where an 18-month old could walk."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Life changes when you have young children. Most places that 18 month olds are going to be walking or where you'll be hiking with her in a backpack, are not going to require serious coldweather gear. Think Castlewood Canyon this year. As she gets older, if you still live here (although considering you seem to think that anything below 60 deg is ridiculously cold, who knows...) then you'll be doing more and will be more knowledgeable as to whether and what kind of gear is appropriate for your family and lifestyle. Just trying to save you some $ at this point. If having a bunch of expensive gear makes you happy and feel less "suburban mom"-like then go for it.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 PM

No, I think having unnecessarily expensive gear would make me feel more "suburban mom," actually. Thx all for the suggestions! I definitetly appreciate it!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with being a suburban mom. I'm happy with my life, I was just commenting on how odd it felt to be categorized as such since I am such a new mom going from a drastically different lifestyle. That's all. Just wanted to clarify. Being a mom is the best thing I've ever done! Tops Half Dome by a million times.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Of course...I was thinking she was asking it in the context of winter outerwear....

Honestly. The OP stated she wasn't planning on doing much, if any, skiing or other mountain sports this year. She also has a young child. GoreTex and NorthFace outerwear, while certainly nice and a good thing if one is skiing or snowshoeing regularly, or working outside for extended periods, is not necessary to run to King Soopers or the mall when you're living in Parker. She'll be living in an apartment so she won't even be doing much shoveling....
I agree! If you do go hiking with your child, OP, it won't be far and you won't go in extreme weather. Whatever you have will work.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Katiana's right in what I was proposing, a dressy, sleeveless top worn underneath a sweater. I should have clarified that more. What I mean by sweater is most often a cardigan. These are my winter staples. These items are generally light in texture as I wear them under a wool pea coat.

See the link below for an example of what I wear most winter days:

Talbots - Drape-collar cardi | Cardigans | Apparel Discover your new look at Talbots. Shop our Drape-collar cardi for stylish clothing and accessories with a modern twist at Talbots

This way, if I'm hot on the bus or in the office, I can easily remain professional wearing just my "shell". I can also remove the cardigan and put on my suit jacket. Or if the office gets cold I have the cardigan. This is what most people mean by layering. Keep in mind, I'm talking about my work week days. Although same applies for me on the weekends since I'm not an avid winter outdoorsy person.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM

That seems pretty "normal" to wear- not too wintery... I can handle that. So wearing snow boots would be overdoing it? What about jeans, snow boots over them, sweater, pea coat, scarf/hat/gloves. Enough for even the snowiest day?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
popalina:

For the snowiest day - yes. Boots, scarves, gloves, are all a must.

Also, someone else mentioned on here the importance of waterproof boots. I can't stress this enough. Getting your feet wet and cold at the beginning of the day is horrible. And this is definitely where I spend money on a brand. Usually Columbia.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalina View Post
That seems pretty "normal" to wear- not too wintery... I can handle that. So wearing snow boots would be overdoing it? What about jeans, snow boots over them, sweater, pea coat, scarf/hat/gloves. Enough for even the snowiest day?
Most days that would be fine. Cold doesn't really have much to do with how snowy it is by the way. It can be very very cold with no snow and it can be snowy but not "that" cold.....and because of the elevation and sun, I would invest in some good sunglasses. You will need those no matter where you live or what activities you participate in.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
You'll probably have to feel it out, some people wear jackets when its 70 and some are in short sleeves when it's 20.

Kinda like LawGal said though, you don't want to get wet. This is why cotton is horrible if you're going to be outdoors for extended periods of time. If you're in the city just driving, bouncing from shop to shop or whatever it's fine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver