Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,361,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I know it's some southern suburb, but I can't comment on what's there. I didn't have a negative impression of Parker until I saw a story on the news this morning where a lesbian couple had "Die Gays" painted on their garage door and a noose left on their front porch.
Well gosh, if it were a normal occurance, it wouldn't be news would it?

If one negative news story is enough to cause a negative impression, no one would live ANYWHERE. There are ignorant and hateful people everywhere (and of every persuasion). I'd be very hesitant to make judgement on a news story alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

If one negative news story is enough to cause a negative impression, no one would live ANYWHERE. There are ignorant and hateful people everywhere (and of every persuasion). I'd be very hesitant to make judgement on a news story alone.
Yes, it sounds like an isolated incident. The women said that they felt their HOA disliked them as well. That's subjective, and people can have all sorts of reasons for disliking someone. But a noose and "Die Gays!" is pretty horrible.

As a gay man and a parent, I do choose where I live carefully. I would be very hesitant to raise my kids somewhere like Highlands Ranch where you have more Republicans and Evangelicals. This incident could happen anywhere, but we all know it's more likely to happen where people are more resistant to gay people.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,106,976 times
Quote:
. . .I didn't have a negative impression of Parker until I saw a story on the news this morning where a lesbian couple had "Die Gays" painted on their garage door and a noose left on their front porch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalina View Post
OMG re: "die gays"! But I guess there are stupid and/or crazy people everywhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Quote:
Yes, it sounds like an isolated incident. The women said that they felt their HOA disliked them as well. That's subjective, and people can have all sorts of reasons for disliking someone. But a noose and "Die Gays!" is pretty horrible.
. . .
Here's a link to a 9 news segment about this incident:

Lesbian couple says HOA sparked hate crimes

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM

84 posts, read 219,273 times
Thanks for the link. That is just crazy.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
The best and least expensive vegetarian restaurant is Govinda's Buffet
Govinda's Vegetarian Buffet

It is even less expensive, as in free, on Sunday because the buffet is served in the Hari Krishna Building, next door, which it has an association.

I was there many years ago, for the Sunday Buffet, and it was interesting. The food was authentic and well prepared. However, the Sunday free buffet is like eating at the downtown mission, as you have to "pay to eat" and the pay is your attention to the the believers and their beliefs. To me it was worth it--I will listen to anything for a free meal. There was music which was not bad, just somewhat different.

Livecontent

Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,286,917 times
I don't know Parker at all, but Watercourse is TOTALLY worth whatever drive is required. I just ate there last week with a visiting friend and it was nothing short of wonderful. My best friend is a vegetarian and she was delighted with her dish - as in could not stop raving about it. I'm a serious carnivore, and I found my meal to be excellent as well. I really can't wait to go back - they even have a nice dining spot at the bar, so I'll feel comfortable going alone.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Actually, anyone care to explain to me why Govinda's eschews garlic and onions? I'm thinking both are essential for any sort of parmesan or lasagna dish...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Actually, anyone care to explain to me why Govinda's eschews garlic and onions? I'm thinking both are essential for any sort of parmesan or lasagna dish...
Onions are a main essential ingredients of of Indian Cuisine. Garlic, of course plays a part in the many of the dishes.

If you have preceived that the volunteer preparer has not chosen to use those products in those "Italian Dishes", there could be many reasons. Perhaps they do not like garlic or onions.

It is possible in a Hindu Vegetarian Restaurant, run my volunteers, that there can be some variability in belief, in the interpretation of multiple Indian subculture religions, of what is a vegetable and what is an animal; for onions and garlic may be viewed by some as sentient creatures and should not be eaten, or they are a divinity. Of course, that belief would be modified in our organic, natural culture whereby we would only use "free ranged" and "caged free" onion and garlic.

Livecontent

Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

It is possible in a Hindu Vegetarian Restaurant, run my volunteers, that there can be some variability in belief, in the interpretation of multiple Indian subculture religions, of what is a vegetable and what is an animal; for onions and garlic may be viewed by some as sentient creatures and should not be eaten, or they are a divinity. Of course, that belief would be modified in our organic, natural culture whereby we would only use "free ranged" and "caged free" onion and garlic.

Livecontent
I can't wait to buy me some free-range garlic! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver