Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

I'm driving out to Denver from Southern California on Wednesday and it's supposed to snow a little Wednesday morning and my car-- mercedes c300 RWD- is very poorly suited for such conditions. Will I-70 be clear enough by Wednesday night or should I just take an alternate route?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
Nobody really knows what it's going to be like, I would check cotrip.org before you head out

Old 10-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks, I heard about that site and will definitely keep tabs on it. I was just wondering if anyone who travels that route often could give me some insight.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
Well it's not supposed to stop snowing until Wed afternoon, the biggest areas will be Vail Pass and Loveland Pass, the reports are always all over the place but it could be anywhere 5 - 15 in of snow.

I-70 will be plowed, but what kind of tires do you have also? I wouldn't take a RWD car with summer tires or something. If you have all-seasons I don't see a problem, you just need to be careful and drive slow, especially in those areas

Old 10-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Just got new all season tires and according to the forecast it's supposed to stop snowing around noon, so it seems like I'll be alright.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Check the cotrip.org site in Glenwood Springs or Eagle at the latest, if the roads are wet and the temps are dropping there will likely be some black ice on the passes. There are some chain hotels in both of those towns and you could always sleep for the night and do the rest of the drive during the daylight hours.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpackoc68 View Post
I'm driving out to Denver from Southern California on Wednesday and it's supposed to snow a little Wednesday morning and my car-- mercedes c300 RWD- is very poorly suited for such conditions. Will I-70 be clear enough by Wednesday night or should I just take an alternate route?

Thank you in advance!
I-70 west of Rifle, CO, is lower-elevation, flat desert terrain and normally light snow flurries in the forecast means that area won't pose a problem. So, you're okay driving on I-70 until you reach Rifle.

Th main thing to be concerned with would be once you start climbing and hit the Rockies east of Rifle. Then you can expect slippery conditions.

My personal advice is to check the mountain conditions once you reach Rifle. If it looks bad, then spend the night there. By morning CDOT will have cleared I-70 and there won't be any more issues (unless the forecast calls for further snow.)
The only snow-free alternative is to drive all the way down into Albuquerque, NM and take I-25 up to Denver (if that's your final destination.) This is the only route that bypasses the Rocky Mountains whose southern terminus is in Santa Fe.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Also, UDOT - Utah CommuterLink is useful, as Utah is also being affected and equally prone to problems with road ice, snow, etc.

edit: Prefer this link instead, as it just has an itemized list and tells you if that section of road is open or not: http://511.commuterlink.utah.gov/tats.web.report/

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

bhcompy, if it stops snowing around noon on Wed, can I expect the roads to be cleared?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Ratpack...

I got some great advice onsite when relocating last April from San Diego to Denver. I was going to take 70, was talked out of it due to possible road closings (which, unbelievably there were in mid-April), then decided on 40, 'til I was also advised against 40 (problems with that route, too, it turned out... don't remember how severe, but there was snow along 40 in mid-April) & finally opted for 10.

10 was a nice ride across desert. Very little traffic, nice sunny weather with nicely maintained & clear roads. I didn't hit snow flurries & slightly colder temps 'til I reached Co Springs. I'm no expert but if I ventured back to San Diego, I'd go 10 again.

BTW, the traffic advice onsite is spot on, I've seen & the locals in the know are kind enough to respond, so I'd heed their advice. I have an SUV, but am still glad I avoided 70 & 40.

Have a safe trip. It's a nice ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver