Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM

103 posts, read 218,491 times

Advertisements

Hey, so I'm going to be in town for a week or so from Dec. 3rd to the 10th. What are somethings to do in Denver. I've been there once with my mother and loved it but we were only there for 2 days in March.
This time I'm coming alone. See here's the deal, I'm taking a leave of absence from work (or quitting) which ever it turns out to be. I'm traveling from Odessa, TX to Denver. Then from Denver to Chicago, then from Chicago to Philadelphia, Pa. Spending around a week or so in each place. I have been planning to move for a very long time and I'm going to check out these places as possible candidates. Maybe fall in love with one of the places and just stay put.
So if anyone wants to chime in with some activities, let me know. Also I am going to do some research for jobs in the areas, so if you have any advice in that area.. Maybe I could set up some interviews for that week. I'm a welder currently, not certified nor do I have a college degree. Just kind of starting over. I'll be posting this same thread on the other city's forums named above as well, so if you tend to visit those forums frequently you may see this there to, asking about their city. Thanks.
Also, look. I know that this may seem as a leap of faith and probably in reality it may be. However, I tend to think of myself as a very smart guy. I always, always do great amounts of research before making a decision. Especially one this large in scale.
With that said I will consider any advice handed to me, but please do not insult me or mock me. I'm young and tend to "think out loud" quite often. So just please keep your opinions to yourself. I welcome thought out advice of the topic, not " This guys an idiot for wanting to quit a job in this market and move across country..." type of remarks. Anyways thank you. Oh and if your one to be willing to hangout and show me the city. I'm up for it. I'll probably meet people while I'm there anyways so why not. 1

Haha asking people to meet up on the internet is pretty odd. I don't ever at all do that but what the H*LL right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Stay downtown. Early December will mean that the whole place will be lit for Christmas, the parade of Lights is on the 2nd (8 pm) and 3rd (6 pm), after that walk around and see the City and County building (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devnulled/sets/72157622997109674/detail/ - broken link), the Capitol, and the 16th Street Mall lit up with Christmas lights.

Hang out at some of the bars in lower downtown. You could try to get tix to the Avalanche/Red Wings game on the 4th, but that one sells out. Watch it at a sports bar.

Go ice skating at downtown's outdoor ice rink. It's only $2 to rent skates and there is no admission fee.

Check out the Colorado Christmas Concert Dec. 9 -11 at Boettcher Hall, it's the symphony, the symphony chorus, and the Colorado Children's Chorale doing a bunch of Christmas music.

Drive around. Head to Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison. Go to Georgetown (40 miles into the mtns) for their Christmas mart. There is tons to do, it just depends on what you like and how much you are willing to spend.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Thank you sir. The symphony sounds absolutely amazing. I've always waned to see one. And wow I didn't really think about it being lit up for Christmas. That will be an amazing site. i would love to go snowboarding as well. I've never done that either. Anyways thanks again man. Great Ideas!!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Davidv, great reply. I tried to give you some rep points, but I must spread them around.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Definitely go downtown. There are lots of great bars and restaurants. Make sure you check out Larimer Square and the 16th Street mall. There are always shows playing, sporting events, etc. plus we have the zoo and quite a few museums depending on what you're interested in.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM

21 posts, read 62,559 times
There are alot of great places in and around Denver and the mountains. Check out Red Rocks Ampitheatre which is a cool natural ampitheatre up in the foothills. Old town Evergreen is a cool "mountain town" that isn't too far. In terms of skiing everyone has their own personal preference. I like Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail for a wide variety of skill levels and Arapahoe Basin and Beaver Creek for more advanced. There is no wrong, just different options. Denver has a great zoo and museum. Check out downtown Denver (specifically LODO or lower downtown) for a fair amount of bars, restaurants, etc and the 16th st mall. I believe the Lion King is at the Buell Theatre starting Dec. 4 and would be a cool thing to check out! The Avs Redwings game as previously mentioned would also be a fun game! Rivalry between the two teams. Take a tour of Coors Field (Rockies baseball) as it is a beautiful ballpark and you can take a tour of Coors Brewery in Golden which is only about 20 minutes up the road from Denver.
Hopefully this gives you a start!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
You all forgot the most important place to visit, Casa Bonita! It is required.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks guys. I'm making a list as we speak. All this sounds awesome to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:32 PM

205 posts, read 503,458 times
The previous posters have given great suggestions so I won't repeat them. You might also like the Denver Botanic Gardens' Blossoms of lights exhibit which is really beautiful. Denver Botanic Gardens | blossoms of light. The Denver Zoo also does a zoo lights exhibit which is also great, but I don't think it starts until the 10th.

For museums, the Denver Art Museum and soon to open Clyfford Still Museum are just south of Civic Center park in the Golden Triangle neighborhood. The Denver Museum of Contemporary Art is in Lodo on 15th st. The Museum of Nature and Science is near the zoo on Colorado ave.

If you want to explore Denver neighborhoods while you're here, Capital Hill, Highland and Baker are all close in, easily accessed via RTD and walkable.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM

21 posts, read 62,559 times
how did I forget Casa Bonita? Be prepared to stop at Taco Bell after you leave. You will know why after you go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver