Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times

Advertisements

No they are completely unenforceable deed restrictions as they violate fair housing laws.

The house only had one owner, it was very interesting to read the deed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 AM

16 posts, read 28,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This question of Holly Hills got me interested and here is the story:

"... A group of University of Denver Professors acquired some land within a large enclave known as Holly Hills and decided to have a cooperative housing venture of some thirty homes that could have the amenities of a village within a city. An imaginative architect name Eugene Sternberg designed an attractive community facing on a narrow loop street, and the members of the co-op made acceptance of the subdivision design a condition of annexing to Denver. Denver refused because the city could not provide emergency services on that narrow loop road...So contruction preceded in Arapahoe County..."
Thanks for the info -- very interesting. Does it say when this happened, or what section of Holly Hills this refers to?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
what zip code is the Holly Hills area in?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Default Origin of Glendale

I have been reading this book, that I quoted in my previous post about holly hill origin, which I should have included in the citation is on page 80.

Invisible Cage: A Memoir
By Maxine Kurtz, Ralph Wendell Conant
Published by Conant Associates, 2005

and this is the story of Glendale: (page 79)

"...Owners of property fronting on Colorado Boulevard sought to obtain guarantees about zoning and liquor licenses as a condition of joning Denver. Dever refused the request, and even the landowners' threat of incorporating as a town did not sway Denver officials. In fact, this threat angered any Denver officials who might otherwise have been willing to consider the annexation. The landowner promoting the incorporation cleverly excluded from he proposal the property of almost all opponents. As a result, the incorporation election was overwhelmingly favorable..."

So there you have it--the story of Glendale. As you look at Glendale today, with the bars, I am not surprised that liquor was the reason for the existance of Glendale.

Livecontent

Old 10-03-2008, 02:12 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarog View Post
Thanks for the info -- very interesting. Does it say when this happened, or what section of Holly Hills this refers to?
After a bit of googling, I think the area to which you refer is South Dahlia Lane, but I'm not familiar with the neighborhood. Looks like there's one for sale (http://www.milehimodern.com/2435sDahlia/index.php - broken link). Pretty pricey, but extremely cool architecture!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
what zip code is the Holly Hills area in?
I think most, if not all, is in 80222.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
After a bit of googling, I think the area to which you refer is South Dahlia Lane, but I'm not familiar with the neighborhood. Looks like there's one for sale (http://www.milehimodern.com/2435sDahlia/index.php - broken link). Pretty pricey, but extremely cool architecture!
That does make sense, looking at the map, since S. Dahlia Lane is perhaps the only current street in the unincorporated area that could be considered a "loop road".

It's on the West side of I-25, though, which I thought was considered University Hills, not Holly Hills...

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,268 times
Default holly hills

My wife and I just bought a house in Holly Hills as we moved from out of state. We really enjoy it, it is very close to the city, right by I25, not in Denver county for vehicle registration rates, in Cherry Creek school district and very quiet...we are not far south of Evans, and west of Holly but we hear nothing by way of traffic. The Highline Canal is right there and we do get on it occasionally, but mostly just enjoy walking through the neighborhood. Neighbors are nice and only a handful of less than ideally maintained houses/lawns...

I know there are 3 houses for sale on Holly Place...If you look at house prices in Holly Hills, the recorded sale amounts are still appreciating, even with the market today.

The only downside, is that it is not a "cute" place like Platte Park, or Wash Park neighborhoods. I dont mind it really though.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I'm unfamiliar with the nomenclature, but if you're talking about the neighborhood between Yale and Hampden, I-25 and Monaco, that's a solid, nice neighborhood. I have several friends who grew up there. The actual homes there are very old and boxy, not even a whole lot of brick there, a step down architecturally from even nearby University Hills, but the trees and landscaping are fully grown. It's a great location-- it's almost perfect actually, in the middle of everything when it comes to jobs, schools, shopping, parks, bike paths, you name it. In fact SE Denver (and adjacent Arapahoe County islands) in general is so nice it's hard for me to think of any parts around there that aren't good areas within a 5 mile radius or so. Maybe some of the stuff backing right up to Leetsdale-- which is still mild-- that's about all I can scrounge up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver