Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times

Advertisements

Background:

I'm a 30 year old college graduate that is considering moving to Denver from Sarasota, Florida. For the last six years I have hosted and sold my own sports talk radio show in Sarasota and have done stand-up comedy along the Gulf Coast for the last year or so. I have also been bartending since college to supplement my income from both.

Bottom line, Sarasota is toxic. I feel like it's God's Waiting Room. I only moved here after I graduated because my mom was sick and now that she has recovered, I am looking for a change to a big market city after being raised in Buffalo, New York (which is a great city even though the weather is terrible). Weather is not an issue. I'm actually looking forward to seeing snow again and can't wait to get back into winter sports.

I have some questions you might not usually be asked on a forum like this, but first my plan.

After doing some research, I think Capitol Hill or the surrounding area fits right into my budget/lifestyle. There is no pressing need to get a job right away, so I will be going with 4 months rent paid when I show up plus a savings. I would like to be close to Cheeseman park as I will be moving with my dog and her comfort and happiness is high on my priority list. Capitol Hill is both close to downtown and Colfax Ave, where is where I will be targeting a job bartending when I arrive. I've already contacted sports broadcasting stations and comedy clubs in the area to herald my arrival, but securing the right fit for a job in broadcasting will take some time. I have no doubt the comedy scene in Denver is better than Sarasota, but that isn't hard to beat. I will have a truck for the winter and a scooter for the summer, but will try to make the most of public transportation.

Here are a few questions.

1. Is Capitol Hill the right place to be looking for a place? The Cheeseman Park area seems great and there seems to be a pretty decent night life in the area, which is great for a 30 year-old single guy with no kids and a desire to enjoy life. I have also heard good things about the Southeast side of the Highlands. I would like to be relatively close to downtown, in case opportunities arise there. Also, what is the public transportation like in this area. Is downtown easily reached?

2. How difficult do you think it would be to get a job bartending somewhere in that area? I have worked at dive bars and fine dining establishments, so I have no doubt my experience and demeanor will provide me with an edge. I just need to get face-to-face with a person who makes personnel decisions.

3. What is the comedy scene like in Denver? What is the sports scene like? I know Denver is one of few cities to have all four major sports teams, but there is a ton of winter and summer sports to enjoy and this is really one of the biggest draws to Denver, in my opinion. I realize these are specialized questions, so anyone who can offer insight would be greatly appreciated.

4. Am I making an awful mistake? So far everything says no.

Chime in and offer a guy some wisdom. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Sounds like you would fit right in the area you're talking about. Just make sure you have a plan B in case Denver doesn't work out.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
One suggestion... you might want to change your name. That one is being used by a famous singer.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 AM

21 posts, read 62,559 times
You will love Denver. I am around your age and am a Denver native. Denver is a place that has so much to offer but has the feeling of a laid back city that isn't too big. The place you are looking has a lot to offer and I think will suit your desires. I by no stretch am a comedy scene expert but in my opinion Denver at least has decent opportunities. I have seen Josh Blue, Tracy Morgan, etc at the Comedy Works club downtown. Almost walked out of Tracy Morgan but that's besides the point. The big names seem to perform there. There is also a place call MadCap theatre on the west side of Denver which is a more wholesome opportunity that is an improv based comedy. In terms of sports, you have as much as your heart can handle. You have the Nuggets, Avs, Broncos, Rockies, University of Colorado, Rapids, two pro lacrosse teams, etc. In terms of playing there are plenty of rec leagues with opportunity to get involved. Skiing is incredible. Golf is solid. I am a sports fanatic and there are always opportunities.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Don't forget Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by reatlor21 View Post
In terms of sports...
And, Glendale is the rugby capital of the USA. Glendale Raptors | Rugby Clubs & Women

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM

21 posts, read 62,559 times
True Dave.. forgot about the Rugby. I went and watched the "World Cup" or something along those lines a couple years ago with some international squads. Was a good time.

it was by no means the "world cup" as in the world cup that just took place in New Zealand, but it was a bit of an international competition.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lo Green View Post

1. Is Capitol Hill the right place to be looking for a place? The Cheeseman Park area seems great and there seems to be a pretty decent night life in the area, which is great for a 30 year-old single guy with no kids and a desire to enjoy life. I have also heard good things about the Southeast side of the Highlands. I would like to be relatively close to downtown, in case opportunities arise there. Also, what is the public transportation like in this area. Is downtown easily reached?
Cap Hill sounds about right. Lower Highlands is great as well. Both can get a touch pricey, but if you've got some funds, or better yet don't mind roommates, they are quite doable. Cheeseman is cool, but a little further away from "the action." There's also Five Points, though it can be a little "grittier." It's not necessarily any cheaper, though.

Transit is good...a lot of busses in the Cap Hill area and we rank well for bike lanes and paths (mostly lanes in that neighborhood.) I wouldn't rule out biking...the weather is fine most of the year and other than our winter cold and ice, there's little reason not to bike.

Quote:
2. How difficult do you think it would be to get a job bartending somewhere in that area? I have worked at dive bars and fine dining establishments, so I have no doubt my experience and demeanor will provide me with an edge. I just need to get face-to-face with a person who makes personnel decisions.
If you're sociable, it'll probably be exactly what you're expecting...a bunch of slammed doors followed by a sudden dearth of places after your talents. Since you've got experience and a good attitude, I would just say do what you do and keep at it and you should land something. We're good at bars here...I think it's the beer thing

Quote:
3. What is the comedy scene like in Denver? What is the sports scene like? I know Denver is one of few cities to have all four major sports teams, but there is a ton of winter and summer sports to enjoy and this is really one of the biggest draws to Denver, in my opinion. I realize these are specialized questions, so anyone who can offer insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sports scene is huge. Don't discount minor sports...the Denver metro area has a thing for Rugby (mostly in Glendale) and Lacrosse. The Colorado Rapids won the MLS championship last year, don't forget, and our soccer fans are ardent and present, even if their numbers don't match those of Football / Baseball / Basketball / Hockey.

Comedy is pretty big business here as well (as much as it is in any city our size), but the emphasis is usually more on improv and comic theater than standup...though there's plenty of open mics around town open to any kind of performance...again, if you've got the skills, I suspect you could probably convert a few of those into full on gigs. That said, if you enjoy improv or comic theater, there are quite a few opportunities if you know where to look.

Quote:
4. Am I making an awful mistake? So far everything says no.
Probably the worst mistake of your life. Seriously. You'll never want to leave.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 AM

143 posts, read 275,391 times
Capitol Hill is probably perfect except a bit pricey. It's also considered the gayest neighborhood; don't know if that's a plus, minus or nuetral for you. You might also consider LODO, LOHI, Highlands, Broadway Terrace and even Five Points.

Denver is nuts for sports of all kinds.

Denver is a prime comedy town IMO with lots of clubs and also lots of theater. Tons of theater here.

And there seems to be no dearth of bars as far as I can tell.

So I think all systems are go for you.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,569 times
I think you have a good plan and Denver is a good start. You'll do well. Just get to know the scene first. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

208 posts, read 419,050 times
Make some business cards and distribute them to events planners when you get there. With your experience I'm sure any type of customer service job would love to have you.

But if you're more of a sarcastic type comedian, than yeah, you better stick to colfax...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: