Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM

50 posts, read 199,033 times

Advertisements

I literally know 1 person in Denver, don't have a job lined up yet, and I am super stoked to get the heck out of Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM

301 posts, read 1,062,295 times
Ive been reading this and laughed because we are another set of Floridians moving to Denver!! (Well, we will know for sure in January) My husband and I each put in for a job there and I think its going to happen, so if we do get the jobs then we will be moving out in February. We will be working near the Cherry Creek Mall and will be getting an apt in that area for 6 months to give time while we look for the an area we want to live. We are leaving our kids in Florida to finish out the school year (Staying with family) and will come get them in the summer. We cant wait. I think we are going to concetrate on Highlands Ranch area, maybe Lone Tree, but I also want to look at Centennial, is that a good area? Does anyone have any recommendation on places to look that would have a decent commute to the Cherry Creek North area? My kids are in middle and high school. Thanks!!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM

261 posts, read 704,990 times
We actually moved to FL from CO like LoveBoating because we love tropical weather and were tired of winter. Now we have our house on the market and are trying to go back! There are a lot of factors, but overall we like Colorado better minus winter. Most Floridians I talk to are still going to NC (where I grew up). I can't complain, all three are top states people where people want to move. NC is the one I can't really figure out. Hot as FL in the summer, more rednecks, and winter. I guess it's good for Florida people who want 4 mild seasons.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
We actually moved to FL from CO like LoveBoating because we love tropical weather and were tired of winter. Now we have our house on the market and are trying to go back! There are a lot of factors, but overall we like Colorado better minus winter. Most Floridians I talk to are still going to NC (where I grew up). I can't complain, all three are top states people where people want to move. NC is the one I can't really figure out. Hot as FL in the summer, more rednecks, and winter. I guess it's good for Florida people who want 4 mild seasons.
I would take NC over FL any day. NC has mountains at least (not like here), but FL is flat and boring.

No outdoor activities in comparison, tbh though I don't care about anything on the east coast whatsoever anymore

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kottwitz101 View Post
Thanks for all of your replies! I would feel much safer to live near a hospital because my son does has a bleeding condition. As for a car, we have a Pontiac G6. We are going to put snow tires on it before we come! Has it snowed yet in CO. Springs? Here is Fl, we have had RAIN! Lots of moisture! I left my sliding glass doors open for a couple hours and my carpet had gotten damp! Can't wait to come out your guy's way!
First off, I think with a child you guys need at least one job before you make the move. The economy is improving, and the unemployment rate is below the national average, but it's still a jungle out there.

Secondly, regarding the Children's Hospital, the main children's hospital here (Children's) has several satellite locations in addition to its main location in Aurora.

Children's Hospital Care Locations - Children's Hospital Colorado-Denver Area, Rocky Mountain Region

There is also Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, with several locations.

Hospital for Children Denver | Kids Health Denver | Pediatric Emergency Denver - Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
No you don't "need" 4WD, especially for the city. Some people here drive civics all year around, though they certainly aren't the best choice for snow.

You would be fine probably 90% of the time driving in the mountains, but those few times where I wanted to go down some back roads or during a big snow storm that's not the vehicle I would want to have.

I guess I think you would be fine, just have to be more aware of the weather/snow conditions and roads to take in the mountains. In Denver I wouldn't worry about it
I agree; in Denver anything would work. We came here in 1980 with a RWD Chevrolet Camaro and a FWD Ford Fiesta. We did just fine, and I worked as a visiting nurse with the Fiesta. Over the years we have had many vehicles, and we only got a 4WD in 2003, 23 years later, and after my "career" in visiting nursing was pretty much over, and we weren't going to the mtns so much.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I would take NC over FL any day. NC has mountains at least (not like here), but FL is flat and boring.

No outdoor activities in comparison, tbh though I don't care about anything on the east coast whatsoever anymore
I think Florida's beauty is underrated, but you have to be into the coastal southern/tropical look. Where else in the US besides Hawaii can you see flocks parrots fly over, coconut palms, swim in the ocean in January, etc. I only really like from Palm Beach County south to the Keys. I've always been more of a beach person that a mountain person. The mountains don't have a lot to do with our desire to move back, although Colorado's landscape is amazing.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Quote:
I think Florida's beauty is underrated, but you have to be into the coastal southern/tropical look. Where else in the US besides Hawaii can you see flocks parrots fly over, coconut palms, swim in the ocean in January, etc. I only really like from Palm Beach County south to the Keys. I've always been more of a beach person that a mountain person. The mountains don't have a lot to do with our desire to move back, although Colorado's landscape is amazing.
I guess it depends on what you like, and everyone is different. I was born in FL and lived there for 27 years, I think in the last 5 years before I moved out here I maybe went to the beach 3 times? No coconut palms and I've never seen any parrots fly over in Daytona Beach

Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
No offense to anyone who loves Florida-I've been living in Florida for three years and gosh I hate it! Nothing beats Denver and one way or another I'm moving back-I love the city and miss the beauty..for people who are moving to CO, once you get over the winter (no it's not bad) you will love it! It's hard for me to read the Denver forums because I get so homesick

Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you like, and everyone is different. I was born in FL and lived there for 27 years, I think in the last 5 years before I moved out here I maybe went to the beach 3 times? No coconut palms and I've never seen any parrots fly over in Daytona Beach
I understand, we aren't that into the beach either, but the tropical living is what appeals to us. The tropical zone starts around Palm Beach County, so that's what I meant by not being too interested in the rest of Florida. We can grow all the tropical fruit trees except the ultra sensitive ones, and we can grow our own food year round, while everyone else is freezing.

I really like the culture out west and there are so many things I like about Denver. Landscape and weather wise, I love the sunshine and the dryness can be nice. But, I think the west can be boring, too after you've been out there for a long time. Lots of majestic views, but not really teeming with life like Florida. I guess I could do either, but right now we are leaning towards Denver as our permanent home.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Hmm

Quote:
but not really teeming with life
Prairie Dog Control Part II: Lethal Control Techniques (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver