Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

I'm a Miami native with a 28 year stint in Nashville. Been here 6 years and plan on dying here. Looking out my window I have a 100 mile wide view of the Rockies. From Longs Peak down to Pikes Peak. It is breath taking.

I am on the north side of Denver in Brighton. It is growing but it is still "small town" atmosphere. South side (Parker to the Springs) is just too populated.

I think I read that you plan on buying an SUV once you have moved in. Be ready for outrageous registration fees. They rob you blind here. I just purchased a new Jeep Wrangler and the 1st year's tag/registration was $926 and I expect about $850 for next year. The rate comes down a little each year with the age of the vehicle. Heck my last Tennessee plate that I purchased about a month before moving here was only $62!

Weather is not a big issue. Whether hot or cold the lack of humidity makes it very bearable. I wear long sleeve shirts for work and have not broken a sweat even at 106º and usually wear a hoodie or light jacket down to about 15º. They do a pretty good job of keeping roads clear when it snows. There isn't much ice problems here. You will hit slick spots though. Just use your head and drive cautiously. Remember the 4x4 gets you going - it doesn't do anything to stop you. And remember to that Denver is much more sunny than anywhere in Florida.

Come to Colorful Colorado you will never leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,907 times
Default where to live in Denver-

Help,

My family and I looking to Move in Feb from Cooper City, FL; cant wait to leave this place-done with all the budwiser neighbors.

Can you please suggest any master planned communities/ cites to rent I will be working off 16th and Broadway,Denver. The wife is concerned about having great schools for the little ones and shopping. I am use to driving 45 minutes to work in Miami. I have heard check out -Higlands Ranch, Parker and Centin?

Thanks,

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdyl View Post
Help,

My family and I looking to Move in Feb from Cooper City, FL; cant wait to leave this place-done with all the budwiser neighbors.

Can you please suggest any master planned communities/ cites to rent I will be working off 16th and Broadway,Denver. The wife is concerned about having great schools for the little ones and shopping. I am use to driving 45 minutes to work in Miami. I have heard check out -Higlands Ranch, Parker and Centin?

Thanks,
Well if you're looking for a master planned community then Highlands Ranch is your place

Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM

I am open to other suggestions, Can you think of any other places that are not zero lots, maybe like an acreage in a great family area?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Quote:
I am open to other suggestions, Can you think of any other places that are not zero lots, maybe like an acreage in a great family area?
I actually like HR, I think you can get some acreage there too and it's considered a great family area. I'm not into buying houses so I'm not really up on that, but your best bets for acreage are on the outskirts of town, you aren't going to find that the closer you get to Denver.

Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, etc..

Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Isn't the best thing about the US all the different climates and cultures? There's somewhere for everyone whether it's the humid beach of FL or the mountains and 4 seasons of CO. I'm not sold at all on staying in CO forever, but I know many people who adore it and say they'll never leave. It's all personal preference.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Great info - Does anyone have any realtor that specialize in rentals?

It looks like most folks like Highlands Ranch, what about other areas such as Golden, Castle Rock,, - every place I put in map quest says 30 minutes to 16th and Broadway?

Is there an area I should avoid because of major traffic - or because of no Light Rail? Thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default You make me laugh

Quote:
Castle Rock,, - every place I put in map quest says 30 minutes to 16th and Broadway?
Right!!!
Castle Rock to the Denver CBD.
I only know one person who could do that,
Philip Anschutz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,
who would commute by helicopter--and, land on the building that he owns.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM

34 posts, read 111,507 times
I grew up in IL and just moved to Castle Rock, CO in 2010 for a job opportunity for my husband that isn't going where it should. So now we might be heading back to IL which I am not happy about...CO has it's ups and downs but I really like the mountains and lifestyle here and don't want to leave just yet...I don't know if I'd like to "die" here but I feel like we haven't had enough time here....

We have 4 kids (11, 10, 7, & 5) and are finally getting adjusted to the dryness (and nosebleeds every other day! Make sure your smaller kids blow their nose! I feel like the Kleexex Nazi with them! And drink lots of water!!! lol....) and the climate here. They say Denver has 4 seasons but I have only experienced 3 - maybe even 2 1/2! Summers are short but the no humidity make the heat bearable, I don't recall much of a Spring in 2011 it snowed until May 15th (which was crazy!) and then 2 weeks later it was 90 degrees and we were at the pool! It snowed the first week of October in 2011 so fall was over before it really began. But then when it's not snowing it can be 60 and sunny in January! You never know what you are going to get living here! Oh and the summers - almost every day there will be a small but powerful thunderstorm so if you don't get up and out by 11 am - don't bother because it will be pouring on you by 1! Usually only last a little while - but still very odd weather.
Also check on the schools here - we are in Douglas county and they are doing a Singapore Math program which is HORRIBLE! This program alone makes me want to switch my kids schools...and I have heard that they are not teaching cursive because it will be obsolete with technology!!!??? really? wtf!...oh and the kindergarten here is horrible too. It's basically another year of preschool for my son - they are teaching him how to read or sounds of letters at all and I have been working with him at home because back in IL he would be learning all of this by now. (and I rarely have a good thing to say about IL - but the schools were better!)
Castle Rock is a safe (mostly white) family oriented community that I have enjoyed but it's a little too boring!...There is nothing really to do for nightlife and the bars are for 20 year olds. My hubby & I do like to get out once in a while and find that we just go to a movie in town or end up in downtown Denver - which can be expensive!
But on the upside it has beautiful views and fun things to do within an hours drive!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 17,310 times
Quote:
Help,

Thanks,
I grew up in Cooper City in Country Address Encore off of Stirling and felt compelled to answer this one. Went to Pioneer, CCHS, and UF. My wife and I moved out here (w/a 2 year old) about a year ago and absolutely love it. Still have family in Pembroke Pines, North Miami, etc. but really have no desire to return. The weather is great, the people are friendly and inviting, and there are a ton of activities to enjoy no matter the weather. Also, coming from S. Florida, it still amazes and astounds me when I put my blinker on and people slow down to let me in their lane. I guess you don't realize what an "angry" place S. FL is until you spend some time elsewhere...must be that humidity. Prior to moving here, we lived in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, a couple of blocks off of Las Olas for 6 years.

When we moved out here, we were looking for something a little bit more suburban than what we were coming from but at the same time, didn't want to be too far out from Denver and what we consider the "core" of the city. We looked at Highlands Ranch and a couple other communities but for us, thought they were a little bit of a commmute. We chose Stapleton for it's proximity to the city itself as well as the fact that it's very close to the musuem, zoo, etc. for our daughter. Like everywhere else, Stapleton has it's pros and cons but it works out well for us. It's very kid centric and we have some great neighbors. The yards are small and the homes close but keep in mind that's by design as it's built as a TND (traditional neighborhood development). There are a lot of public park and play areas in Stapleton. There are a lot great, interesting neighborhoods in Denver and they all have their own unique charms. Not sure what your budget is or what type of area you're looking for, but it's not a bad idea to rent for a year while you figure it out. Washington Park (pricey), Congress Park, Platt Park, University, Highlands, LowerHighlands are all very cool areas worth checking out.

There is traffic here (esp. work commute times, morning and evening) but it's not that bad...even when it's slow, it's chill in comparison as people don't jockey lane to lane trying to gain that one car edge like on 95 or 595.

Anyways, hope this helps a bit and feel free to reach out if you have any questions or are looking for any tips. Whether it's the cross country uhaul drive, the weather, the neighborhoods, etc...I have a pretty good perspective on your move...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver