Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM

66 posts, read 319,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
I live in Whittier, not City Park W.
I have seen the city as a whole, thanks

I was also a paramedic for Adams Ambulance in Southgate, CA for a long time when I was younger (it's not in Los Angeles, btw).

Again, you are right that some areas have gang problems and higher crime. That isn't much of a statement. I am simply maintaining my position that Denver is a safer city than other cities of it's size, in general, and that there are not nearly as many gangs/violent crimes/etc. here as people might think.

its in los angeles county so yeah thats what i was trying to say. and we agree'd. denver doesnt have as many gangs as LA or NYC or chicago, etc. but i believe denver does have 110 different gangs as an estimate and over 15,000 known members as another estimate. so yes its in no way a comparison to LA's 500 gangs and 60,000 members or NYC's 60,000 members or chicagos 450 different gangs. but those cities all have above 3 million people in there cities. and i wasnt sure exactly where 23rd and high st was because its practicaaly right int he middle of whittier and city park west so yeah i was mistaken but i told you i wasnt sure. and yeah so is south gate ca nice and safe? and what about eastisde long beach? and where did you live in LA just curious cuz i have family members in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 AM

299 posts, read 709,261 times
I lived in LA for many, many years - mostly on the W. side (Venice, SM, Topanga Canyon) but also long periods in Hollywood and the valley. When I was a paramedic mostly I stationed in Huntington Park and we handled a massive area from MLK to Downtown, E. LA to LA proper around La Brea. We held the first responder contract for the County of LA as were second up for the City of LA.

'Nice and safe' doesn't mean much. It's nice and safe compared to 25 years ago, I can tell you that.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:24 AM

i never said whittier is the worst place in this city. but if you look at stats, its crime is higher. the total crime index for whittier according the piton foundation is 69.2 per 1,000 residents which is 6,900 per 100,000 residents. the povery rate in the neighborhood of whittier is 28.71%. so is whittier really nice and upper scale? again whittier doesnt have nearly as much crime as five points, montbello, sunnyside, sun valley, villa park, valverde, lincoln park, etc. but its crime is higher than most average neighborhoods in a city. you cant argue with stats.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
I lived in LA for many, many years - mostly on the W. side (Venice, SM, Topanga Canyon) but also long periods in Hollywood and the valley. When I was a paramedic mostly I stationed in Huntington Park and we handled a massive area from MLK to Downtown, E. LA to LA proper around La Brea. We held the first responder contract for the County of LA as were second up for the City of LA.

'Nice and safe' doesn't mean much. It's nice and safe compared to 25 years ago, I can tell you that.

so i think we'd agree that huntington park has gang prblems and crime problems right? the murder rate for huntington park since 1999 is as follows: 10.2, 3.3, 9.6, 9.4, 12.6, 11.0, 3.2, 11.1, 14.5, and 4.9. and the total crime index is 461.9, 548,443, 460.4, 534.6, 496.7, 509.3, 524.1, 556.2, and 519.1. pretty similar to denver as a whole counting the nice areas of south denver and lower east denver.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM

and yes venice is in los angeles city limits and south gate is not. but there noth in los angeles county. and would you really say venice is a worse area than south gate? venice i believe statistically is a predominately caucasian area (64%).

Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM

well i think im done replying to this page. i think we've both worn each other out. in conclusion all i wanted to get across is that denver's crime stats can be misleading because one third of denvers population lives in south denver and lower east denver which are really upper scale. denver in no way shape or form is as bad gang wise or crime wise as LA, PHILLY, CLEVELAND, CHICAGO, DETROIT, PHONIEX, LAS VEGAS, OAKLAND, etc. but it is worse crime wise and murder wise than SEATTLE, PORTLAND, RENO, SAN JOSE, SAN DIEGO, SALT LAKE CITY, etc. those areas are relatively in the middle as far as big cities go and so is denver, albuquerque and other southwest USA cities. denver does have gangs and gang problems but not as many as the bigger cities like LA, NYC, HOUSTON, DALLAS, DETROIT, CHICAGO, etc. thats all i was trying to say

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM

299 posts, read 709,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
i never said whittier is the worst place in this city. but if you look at stats, its crime is higher. the total crime index for whittier according the piton foundation is 69.2 per 1,000 residents which is 6,900 per 100,000 residents. the povery rate in the neighborhood of whittier is 28.71%. so is whittier really nice and upper scale? again whittier doesnt have nearly as much crime as five points, montbello, sunnyside, sun valley, villa park, valverde, lincoln park, etc. but its crime is higher than most average neighborhoods in a city. you cant argue with stats.
You can absolutely argue with stats.
You can argue your point with stats, and I can argue mine with stats. You just get different stats. Same goes for surveys

In criminology, there is a stat to support just about anything. There are teams of people trying to understand the stats so they can advise public policy.

Switch from Fox to CNN and you'll see different stats to describe different perspectives on the same situation. Stats can be hugely misleading, can be abused, and are generally not easy to truly understand. They are easy to convert into sound bytes.

It's very foolish to consider stats as 'final' and completely descriptive without having a real understanding of what the stats mean. Stats are important, and very informative, but final? no.

Example: Whitter is in a shoulder zone. The crime in my neighborhood is very, very low (say the cops, the neighbors, and most importantly my eyes and ears) but we are in the SE corner of that reporting zone. The other corner, way up Downing is quite different - the stats show a lot of crime in a 8 or 9 block area. That skews our statistics down here, and puts property values higher 1000 feet south of us then we are here. Even though the neighbors down there report more street crime, petty theft, vandalism simply due to pedestrians from the park on 23rd St.

So, Whitter has significant crime per those stats. My block is very safe but is also in Whitter. How does your stat speak to that? It doesn't, because the definition of the measure is different then what I am observing. The stat and my observation could both be true.

Be careful with these stats. People get PhDs just trying to generate and understand them.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM

96 posts, read 423,206 times
Exclamation To my elderly friend;

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The cities and neighborhoods have less to do with crime than your choices that put you at risk. You will learn, as you age, that most crime happens among young men, at night, involved with alcohol, drugs and woman. So, to increase your chances to live to the age to learn this lesson: avoid groups of young men; stay away from alcohol, served at night; avoid illegal drugs and do not fight for the possession of woman.

I have lived and been through many rough areas and I follow those rules and I have survived. Now that I am an aging senior, I find the company of young men, annoying and boring. I am too tired to stay out at night; and I cannot drink because of all the medications I take, which also make illegal drugs unnecessary and dangerous. I and my ego have no desire to take possession of any woman; and none of those troublesome beings, find me interesting. Now, I am just part of the overlooked and ignored elderly. I exude no threat, evince no hostility because my existence is faintly seen; and my presence less desired.

Livecontent
While I agree with your self perception, I did read the crimewatch for today, 11/23/2011, and saw where a 91 yr. old Veteran was beaten down in Westminster on Veterans Day. Now all it takes is 1 group of 'popcorn thugs', That's more than 2, and they get crazed and brave and lawless. It's just today's younger society. They are instead of seeking wisdom, seeking a false sense of 'toughness' to impress their friends. Get them alone and you have that popcorn thug that will weep at the sign of a fist. I'm 6'4, 245 lbs. and I still carry a concealed handgun, (yes, I have a conceal permit). I'm in Atlanta, need I say more. The sad news is that if a thug points his sideways handgun at me and I shoot him, it will cost me approx. 10-15 thousand to prove my innocence. Here's my advice, (yes, in Denver too), as crime IS alive and well there, and NOT just stolen vehicles..LOL...#1 never walk in a bad area, especially with a pretty girl; #2 just don't be so damned dumb to even walk in a seedy area. # 3 mind your own business # 4 as Pop said, avoid the real latenight bars as many get liquid courage, and well, you know the rest. Get yourself a good woman and stay the hell in at night. Don't let any Coloradan tell you Denver is sooo safe, wise up..The jails there are chock full!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,401 times
Just stay away from the main streets and you'll be ok. I live near colfax and Colorado Blvd. It's not getting better these days.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverCo80206 View Post
I live near colfax and Colorado Blvd. It's not getting better these days.
The data 2010 Crime Statistics show that you are incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver